Author Topic: Texas court fights bush ......  (Read 883 times)

War-Horse

• Getbig V
Texas court fights bush ......
« on: March 25, 2008, 08:03:20 AM »
Maybe theres hope for us...abuse of power is held at bay. :)

Court Backs Texas in Dispute With Bush
Mar 25, 2008 (10:16a CDT)
By MARK SHERMAN  (Associated Press Writer)

WASHINGTON -  The Supreme Court says Texas does not have to give a new hearing to a Mexican on death row for rape and murder, deciding a case that mixes presidential power, international relations and the death penalty.

The case pits the president against his home state of Texas. By a 6-3 vote, the court says President Bush does not have the authority to order a new hearing for the prisoner.

It put Bush in the unusual position of siding with death row prisoner Jose Ernesto Medellin (ho-SAY ehr-NES-to meh-DEH-yeen), a Mexican citizen whom police prevented from consulting with Mexican diplomats, as provided by international treaty.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

War-Horse

• Getbig V
Re: Texas court fights bush ......
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 08:21:51 AM »
Its only rape and murder.  Bush wants him out to roam free, even tho he's been convicted in the court of law.     How interesting.......theres alot of so called "political prisoner terrorists" that havnt and never will see trial.    Being a dictator is a wonderful thing.

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
Re: Texas court fights bush ......
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 10:26:43 AM »
Its only rape and murder.  Bush wants him out to roam free, even tho he's been convicted in the court of law.     How interesting.......theres alot of so called "political prisoner terrorists" that havnt and never will see trial.    Being a dictator is a wonderful thing.

Bush didn't agree with the ICJ but he believed the United States had to honor the treaty.

I'm personally happy about the ruling. Score 1 for states rights and a big "FVCK YOU" to the International Court.

I wish I could have been there when they informed Medellin of the good news.