Author Topic: Idea for the Olympia  (Read 1537 times)

MB

• Getbig IV
Idea for the Olympia
« on: March 25, 2008, 12:05:59 PM »
Hold the show every other year.  Less is more with bodybuilding.  Only allow the winners of all pro shows since the previous Olympia to enter.  I think attendance would increase with added anticipation, as well as sponsorship money.  It doesn't seem like the Olympia is for the best of the best when there's a 25 man line-up, with nearly half of the guys hardly getting a call-out.         

wisconsinBB

• Getbig IV
  • Sweep The Leg!
Re: Idea for the Olympia
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 12:09:22 PM »
Hold the show every other year.  Less is more with bodybuilding.  Only allow the winners of all pro shows since the previous Olympia to enter.  I think attendance would increase with added anticipation, as well as sponsorship money.  It doesn't seem like the Olympia is for the best of the best when there's a 25 man line-up, with nearly half of the guys hardly getting a call-out.         

Your Idea is gayer than this picture!

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 12:12:20 PM »
Nonsense - the "sport" barely makes any money as it does - in order for it to be more successful holding it every other year you'd need more than twice the number of spectators at the event. Where is it going to be held? And when was the last time it was a 25-man line-up? That's the best way to make the contest die off forever. I do think it should be held in places other than Vegas though to give fans worldwide a chance to see it.

wisconsinBB

• Getbig IV
  • Sweep The Leg!
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 12:16:34 PM »
Nonsense - the "sport" barely makes any money as it does - in order for it to be more successful holding it every other year you'd need more than twice the number of spectators at the event. Where is it going to be held? And when was the last time it was a 25-man line-up? That's the best way to make the contest die off forever. I do think it should be held in places other than Vegas though to give fans worldwide a chance to see it.

Being that the overwhelming majority of successful pros are american or at the very least live in america, it would be a horrible move to take the olympia overseas.  Vegas is perfect. 

The.Giant

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 12:17:56 PM »
Massive fail.

Reintroduce height or weight classes. Over/under either 5'10" or 202 lbs.
It's Hip to be Square!

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 12:20:35 PM »
Being that the overwhelming majority of successful pros are american or at the very least live in america, it would be a horrible move to take the olympia overseas.  Vegas is perfect. 

I love Vegas and I'm going there again this year but not all fans can afford to do it - move it around the US at least - maybe New York or Miami. It would still make money. Granted, moving it overseas may not be financially savvy - Helsinki and Rimini in years gone by are testament to that.

wisconsinBB

• Getbig IV
  • Sweep The Leg!
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 12:22:27 PM »
I love Vegas and I'm going there again this year but not all fans can afford to do it - move it around the US at least - maybe New York or Miami. It would still make money. Granted, moving it overseas may not be financially savvy - Helsinki and Rimini in years gone by are testament to that.

Moving it around would be cool, but its waaaaaaay cheaper to take a weekend vacation to vegas than it is NY or miami.   

MB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 12:25:10 PM »

The last 3 years were 24, 22, & 21 contestants, but not everyone who qualified did the show.  I just think that you see much of the same year after year, almost as if it's a carbon copy of the year before.  If it was every other year, there would be more uncertainty and allow for more shake-up in the results.  I do like the idea of moving it around again as well.   

wisconsinBB

• Getbig IV
  • Sweep The Leg!
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 12:26:42 PM »
The last 3 years were 24, 22, & 21 contestants, but not everyone who qualified did the show.  I just think that you see much of the same year after year, almost as if it's a carbon copy of the year before.  If it was every other year, there would be more uncertainty and allow for more shake-up in the results.  I do like the idea of moving it around again as well.   

Its about money, not about shaking things up bra.

Gym dude

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 12:54:20 PM »
The Olymipa should travel the world.Having the Olympia in a diffrent city each year for example New york,London,Munich etc.

chainsaw

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 01:57:38 PM »
Didn't anyone hear that the ASC webcast had
"according to chick" 118,000 viewers!

Hahahahahahahahahaha.

Bodybuilding will never be big, why?  Because it is ALL FUCKING DRUGS!
Most are all show no go!

MB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 06:32:49 AM »
Something else I'd like to see is a ranking system set up (kind of like Ron has done).  The top 10 ranked bodybuilders each year get invited to the Olympia.  If the Olympia was originally set up for former Mr. Universe winners, how did we get to the point of inviting the 5th place finisher of the NY Pro? 

Monster81

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 06:35:10 AM »

STFU, the olympia is fine without ur smart ideas