Author Topic: It's a ...................  (Read 5207 times)

Geo

• Getbig IV
Re: It's a ...................
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2008, 07:18:40 AM »
I'm honored

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2008, 07:23:51 AM »

:D

i thought of it on my way to work.  I still have to test it out.   ;)

This morning she had a cut up neon green plastic straw she was playing with and then she put it on the end of her beak and it was so cute!

Can you stick a neon green plastic straw up your nose?

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2008, 09:38:01 AM »
Sun Conures are not known for being good talkers, maybe a word or two. So she may never talk.  Will try some tricks, she is only 4mos old and has not gotten her adult coloring yet.   Right now we are getting to know each other and my goal is to have a nice, friendly, and happy bird.    :D

I don't use newspaper, I use crushed walnut shells.
  :)

Watch the walnut shells.  I wouldn't use them at all.  They can get moldy once they are wet and they will get wet in a bird cage.  The bottom line is that organic litters (especially walnut shell or corncob) can become hotbeds of mold including Aspergillus fumigatus and possibly toxin-producing species of Aspergillus.  High spore counts are aerolized from below the grate by wing flapping, cage cleaning, and basically any other movement.  These high spore counts can result in an overwhelming fungal pneumonia that will kill your bird.  Also, pet birds don't always show signs of respiratory disease until their lungs are abcessed and their airsacs are compromised.  Pet birds generally don't have to fly, so they are living the ultimate in sedentary lifestyle.  They can get by with major respiratory compromises until its too late.

Not only that, but birds can and will eat walnut shells. The problem is the walnut shells are ground so fine, the bird won't "chew" them, but swallows them whole.  Even though they are ground, they are too large to pass out of the ventriculus (the gizzard) easily and the hard shell is very difficult to digest (it takes time).  So what you get is a fungus loaded bird with an impacted ventriculus....   Impactions aren't fun.  They also can kill a bird if left untreated. 

Use newspaper, its safe, nontoxic, easy to change out, and if you want to, you can still throw it in the recycling bin after your bird is done with it. 

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2008, 12:01:41 PM »
She never comes in contact with it.    Water has spilled on them and I have noticed no mold (it's only been a week, so that is not conclusive that mold will never grow).

Actually I was told to use them because they WON'T get moldy because they are non absorbant?   :-\

So I will continue to use them because so far I find them easy to clean and have noticed nothing growing or funky, but I appreciate the warning. 

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2008, 12:16:38 PM »
I'll use up what I bought, and then I'll start the newspaper subscription again I guess.

I like the funny pages anyways.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2008, 12:34:14 PM »
She never comes in contact with it.    Water has spilled on them and I have noticed no mold (it's only been a week, so that is not conclusive that mold will never grow).

Actually I was told to use them because they WON'T get moldy because they are non absorbant?   :-\

So I will continue to use them because so far I find them easy to clean and have noticed nothing growing or funky, but I appreciate the warning. 

You won't necessarily see aspergillus spp growing like other household molds unless its a severe, severe growth.  Asper can form a very fine film that is virtually invisible to the naked eye, especially on an organic source with a large surface area---like walnut. 

The thing is your bird doesn't have to come in direct contact with it to become infected.  Asper spores are released into the air by wing flapping, you cleaning the cage, basically anything that disturbs the layer of organic debris at the bottom of the cage.  The avian respiratory system is much more efficient than a mammalian system, so when they breath in the spores, they get trapped either in the lung or the airsacs and start growing. 

Asper is not a fun disease, and unfortunately with birds, they are often dead before you get a chance to diagnose it.  You live in New York, a state that is known for having a high incidence of Aspergillus infections in psittacines. 

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2008, 12:38:50 PM »
I meant she wouldn't be able to eat it since she doesn't come in contact with it.   :P

I suppose the newspaper would allow me to get the funnies and to get my news from someplace other than Getbig.

;D

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2008, 12:40:49 PM »

And Tobey is in the name running now!  I spoke to a woman named Tobey today.

So it may be Geoffina Dweetir Baconator

Or Tobey.

or something else...............

::)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2008, 12:50:12 PM »
ok, I just online ordered the paper.   

That's  $16.86 + tip a month in the bird's monthly cost.
   ::)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2008, 12:55:46 PM »

And I would like to point out I how easily I heeded Vet's advice and knowledge.

*patting self on back*

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2008, 01:03:06 PM »
very nice Flower ;D

P.S.  "dweetir" is superior to "Tobey" >:(
R

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2008, 01:05:26 PM »
very nice Flower ;D

P.S.  "dweetir" is superior to "Tobey" >:(

how about to Geoffina Dweetir Baconator? 

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2008, 01:23:34 PM »
you're naming the bird after the actor of Spiderman?

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2008, 01:29:07 PM »
you're naming the bird after the actor of Spiderman?

No, but I supposed it could be construed that way.

I am either:

naming her after geo

naming her after a cute typo by Laura

naming her after a Wendy burger that STella eats every chance she gets

naming her after some woman on the phone who happens to share the same name as the spiderman actor

or naming her after..............to be determined

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2008, 01:33:21 PM »
Linda is a nice name

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2008, 02:00:56 PM »
how about to Geoffina Dweetir Baconator? 
OK

naming her after a cute typo by Laura

Yes!

No, but I supposed it could be construed that way.

naming her after a Wendy burger that STella eats every chance she gets

hahahaha  I've only had it once >:(

so far
R