Author Topic: Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin (possible GOP VP)  (Read 2469 times)

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin (possible GOP VP)
« on: March 27, 2008, 02:01:11 PM »
McCain Veepstakes: Possible Palin?
by John Gizzi
Posted 03/27/2008 ET
humanevents.com

Since John McCain captured the Republican nomination for President last month, speculation in the press mounts about who he will name as his runningmate. Possibly the most intriguing name in the “veepstakes” is that of Sarah Palin, the first-ever woman Governor of Alaska, its youngest (44) governor, and the first to have been born after Alaska became a state. A onetime beauty queen, high school athlete, and TV reporter Palin was elected mayor of Washila in 1996 and, two years ago, made national headlines by defeating present and past governors to win the state’s highest office. Running on a solidly conservative platform and calling for Alaska to be more independent of Washington, Palin dispatched incumbent Gov. Frank Murkowski in the 2006 GOP primary and went on to defeat former two-term Democratic Gov. Tony Knowles in the fall by a margin of 48% to 41%.

Dedicated to making her state more self-reliant and freeing Alaska from unique federal constraints placed on it when it joined the union in 1959, Palin is a stalwart conservative on cultural issues. A proud member of Feminists for Life, the governor also opposes same-sex marriage or benefits going to couples that would equate to same-sex marriage. When a state court ruled last year that civil unions are to be permitted for same sex couples, Palin called for amending the state constitution to upend the ruling and to place it on the ballots before the voters.

The attractive and articulate Palin appears to be a candidate right out of Central Casting: she and dentist-husband Todd have four children (eldest son Track just joined the U.S. Army and is soon expected to be deployed to Iraq) and the governor is expecting their fifth child in May. “Why can’t she just be from another state?” is a lament heard often by Republicans who feel Palin is a natural for national office, if only she weren’t from a state that is not contiguous with the continental United States and brings only three electoral votes to the electoral column.

But the speculation persists and this was one of the questions colleagues Jim Seminara and Kami Dalton pressed Gov. Palin on in a recent interview. Would she accept second spot on a ticket headed by McCain, who disagrees with the governor on drilling for oil in the Alaskan Natural Wildlife Reserve?

“I’ll tell you, I think that the possibility of this ever happening is so far out there, that it’s tough to get my arms around and even contemplate,” Palin told us, so I don’t have an answer.” But, she quickly added, “I would like to see a governor on that ticket. I do think a governor understands, being on the front lines there, serving the constituents, how to administer. I think that’s very important for a team that would be serving in the White House.”

Palin also made it clear she didn’t believe that her differences over drilling for oil in ANWR with her party’s certain presidential nominee were insurmountable. In her words, “ I think he needs a running mate who sees the light regarding resource development, and how domestic resource development can help secure the United States. I’m very encouraged by McCain’s candidacy, though, because he so understands our national security issues. Much more so, obviously, than the Democrats who are running. So there’s encouragement there, and there’s hope there. I don’t think there’s any hope for Hillary or Barack to ever want to explore this idea of allowing federal lands that happen to be in the 49th state to be opened up for development.”

On ANWR drilling, which President Bush failed to get through the Senate when it was in Republican hands, the governor is still hopeful. “We want it to happen,” she said, “Alaskans want to open up the lands for that development, for the contributions that are potential here for the rest of the US.” Palin went on to note that “it’s really a pathetic situation

“And I have to ask lawmakers in Washington, DC, who have prohibited this drilling in ANWR if they’re doing all they can to secure the United States. When you consider, too, the geology that we’re talking about here, and the physical space that’s even needed to drill now, about a 2,000 acre plot, because of directional drilling and new technology, allowing such a small footprint to even be placed upon the tundra up north, it’s about 2,000 acres, which is smaller than the size of LAX and other big-city airports, that we would need to drill, and allow these resources to finally be tapped and to flow into hungry markets, and make us more secure. I think it’s so short-sighted.”

Less than a week before our interview, Palin sent a political shockwave out from the state Republican convention in Anchorage when she endorsed Lieutenant Gov. Sean Parnell in his challenge against the state’s 35-year Republican congressman-at-large, Don Young. The governor explained that the move is part of her vision of Alaska now “in a prime position to contribute more to the United States and to quit relying on the federal government to pay our bills for us.” As all these changes take place, she told us, “it’s going to take a change of character, and a change of personality, even, in terms of the representation that we have in Washington, D.C. coming from Alaska. Sean Parnell is, I think, a perfect person to manifest that change that is coming, that is needed, on behalf of Alaska. He wants to serve for the right reasons. He’s very selfless. And he’s very much a person taking ‘public service’ literally” -- a not-too-subtle reference to VEECO Corporation head Rick Smith, a longtime Young associate, to bribery and conspiracy charges.

As for whether she would take the same stance against 40-year Republican Sen. Ted Stevens, who is the subject of an FBI investigation as he seeks re-election, Palin would only say “I’m going to withhold judgment there. I don’t see a candidate who’s jumped into his race yet who I would feel wholeheartedly in support of at this point. So there’s still weeks, a couple months, even, to go, before we make the decision on Sen. Stevens.”

A McCain-Palin ticket in ’08? Unlikely. But Gov. Palin as a future Republican leader and politician worth watching? There’s little argument there.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin (possible GOP VP)
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 02:16:55 PM »
She's been governor of Alaska for ONE YEAR.

Good conservative, decent with $ but nothing special.  She's a woman, good looking and young, would make Hilary look like your grandmother.

Obama has a lot more experience than her though.  When you consider that... well...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Palin

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 02:34:34 PM »
McCain Veepstakes: Possible Palin?
by John Gizzi
Posted 03/27/2008 ET
humanevents.com

Since John McCain captured the Republican nomination for President last month, speculation in the press mounts about who he will name as his runningmate. Possibly the most intriguing name in the “veepstakes” is that of Sarah Palin, the first-ever woman Governor of Alaska, its youngest (44) governor, and the first to have been born after Alaska became a state. A onetime beauty queen, high school athlete, and TV reporter Palin was elected mayor of Washila in 1996 and, two years ago, made national headlines by defeating present and past governors to win the state’s highest office. Running on a solidly conservative platform and calling for Alaska to be more independent of Washington, Palin dispatched incumbent Gov. Frank Murkowski in the 2006 GOP primary and went on to defeat former two-term Democratic Gov. Tony Knowles in the fall by a margin of 48% to 41%.

Dedicated to making her state more self-reliant and freeing Alaska from unique federal constraints placed on it when it joined the union in 1959, Palin is a stalwart conservative on cultural issues. A proud member of Feminists for Life, the governor also opposes same-sex marriage or benefits going to couples that would equate to same-sex marriage. When a state court ruled last year that civil unions are to be permitted for same sex couples, Palin called for amending the state constitution to upend the ruling and to place it on the ballots before the voters.

The attractive and articulate Palin appears to be a candidate right out of Central Casting: she and dentist-husband Todd have four children (eldest son Track just joined the U.S. Army and is soon expected to be deployed to Iraq) and the governor is expecting their fifth child in May. “Why can’t she just be from another state?” is a lament heard often by Republicans who feel Palin is a natural for national office, if only she weren’t from a state that is not contiguous with the continental United States and brings only three electoral votes to the electoral column.

But the speculation persists and this was one of the questions colleagues Jim Seminara and Kami Dalton pressed Gov. Palin on in a recent interview. Would she accept second spot on a ticket headed by McCain, who disagrees with the governor on drilling for oil in the Alaskan Natural Wildlife Reserve?

“I’ll tell you, I think that the possibility of this ever happening is so far out there, that it’s tough to get my arms around and even contemplate,” Palin told us, so I don’t have an answer.” But, she quickly added, “I would like to see a governor on that ticket. I do think a governor understands, being on the front lines there, serving the constituents, how to administer. I think that’s very important for a team that would be serving in the White House.”

Palin also made it clear she didn’t believe that her differences over drilling for oil in ANWR with her party’s certain presidential nominee were insurmountable. In her words, “ I think he needs a running mate who sees the light regarding resource development, and how domestic resource development can help secure the United States. I’m very encouraged by McCain’s candidacy, though, because he so understands our national security issues. Much more so, obviously, than the Democrats who are running. So there’s encouragement there, and there’s hope there. I don’t think there’s any hope for Hillary or Barack to ever want to explore this idea of allowing federal lands that happen to be in the 49th state to be opened up for development.”

On ANWR drilling, which President Bush failed to get through the Senate when it was in Republican hands, the governor is still hopeful. “We want it to happen,” she said, “Alaskans want to open up the lands for that development, for the contributions that are potential here for the rest of the US.” Palin went on to note that “it’s really a pathetic situation

“And I have to ask lawmakers in Washington, DC, who have prohibited this drilling in ANWR if they’re doing all they can to secure the United States. When you consider, too, the geology that we’re talking about here, and the physical space that’s even needed to drill now, about a 2,000 acre plot, because of directional drilling and new technology, allowing such a small footprint to even be placed upon the tundra up north, it’s about 2,000 acres, which is smaller than the size of LAX and other big-city airports, that we would need to drill, and allow these resources to finally be tapped and to flow into hungry markets, and make us more secure. I think it’s so short-sighted.”

Less than a week before our interview, Palin sent a political shockwave out from the state Republican convention in Anchorage when she endorsed Lieutenant Gov. Sean Parnell in his challenge against the state’s 35-year Republican congressman-at-large, Don Young. The governor explained that the move is part of her vision of Alaska now “in a prime position to contribute more to the United States and to quit relying on the federal government to pay our bills for us.” As all these changes take place, she told us, “it’s going to take a change of character, and a change of personality, even, in terms of the representation that we have in Washington, D.C. coming from Alaska. Sean Parnell is, I think, a perfect person to manifest that change that is coming, that is needed, on behalf of Alaska. He wants to serve for the right reasons. He’s very selfless. And he’s very much a person taking ‘public service’ literally” -- a not-too-subtle reference to VEECO Corporation head Rick Smith, a longtime Young associate, to bribery and conspiracy charges.

As for whether she would take the same stance against 40-year Republican Sen. Ted Stevens, who is the subject of an FBI investigation as he seeks re-election, Palin would only say “I’m going to withhold judgment there. I don’t see a candidate who’s jumped into his race yet who I would feel wholeheartedly in support of at this point. So there’s still weeks, a couple months, even, to go, before we make the decision on Sen. Stevens.”

A McCain-Palin ticket in ’08? Unlikely. But Gov. Palin as a future Republican leader and politician worth watching? There’s little argument there.

If they're going to consider a governor from a small state then Governor Lingle would be a much better choice.  Terrific governor. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 02:43:34 PM »
If they're going to consider a governor from a small state then Governor Lingle would be a much better choice.  Terrific governor. 

divorced twice and no kids... I think that would hurt mccain.

He needs to select a family person who is to the right of him to keep the base happy (the same base who ain't exactly crazy about him)

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 03:29:37 PM »

No different than Obama running for President on his firm term as senator.

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 04:26:37 PM »
McCain really has two ways he can go with the VP choice:

1) Get a conservative to placate the base of his party, and hope it keeps the religocrats from staying home or voting third-party.

2) Get another moderate, preferably a well-known and well-liked name from a state like Pennsylvania or Michigan to help him with a swing state and reinforce his moderate image.

In either case, the VP should be seen as young, energetic, and capable, to offset Obama's youth and concerns about McCain's age.

Personally, I think choice #2 would be better.  To win, he needs to be seen as a change from the Bushies, and anything that reminds people of Bush (like a Religocrat VP) will work against him in states he needs.

Ron: "I am lazy."

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 04:46:24 PM »
divorced twice and no kids... I think that would hurt mccain.

He needs to select a family person who is to the right of him to keep the base happy (the same base who ain't exactly crazy about him)

She's also pro choice.  But she's one of the best (if not the best) governors in the country.  She'll never be selected, because she's from an irrelevant state and would not shore up the base given some of her positions on social issues, but she's outstanding. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 04:49:03 PM »
She's also pro choice.  But she's one of the best (if not the best) governors in the country.  She'll never be selected, because she's from an irrelevant state and would not shore up the base given some of her positions on social issues, but she's outstanding. 

Yeah, her credentials are awesome for it.  IMHO, however, she doesn't have the star power that everyone else in the election will have.  Hilary is a monument in politics.  Obama's the rock star who inspires like JFK.  McCain is the war hero.  She's a small-market (state) consistent legislator.  I think it'll take a bigger name with some luster.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 04:52:24 PM »
Yeah, her credentials are awesome for it.  IMHO, however, she doesn't have the star power that everyone else in the election will have.  Hilary is a monument in politics.  Obama's the rock star who inspires like JFK.  McCain is the war hero.  She's a small-market (state) consistent legislator.  I think it'll take a bigger name with some luster.

I agree.  I'm just talking about her ability to do the job, which unfortunately isn't the most important factor in selecting the VP candidate. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 04:58:13 PM »
I agree.  I'm just talking about her ability to do the job, which unfortunately isn't the most important factor in selecting the VP candidate. 

LOL if we were basing this on 'ability to do job', the Jeb/Newt ticket would be crushing Dodd/Richardson.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 08:46:29 PM »

Good conservative, decent with $ but nothing special.  She's a woman, good looking and young, would make Hilary look like your grandmother.

Obama has a lot more experience than her though.  When you consider that... well...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Palin
I would take her experience as governor over Obama's senate run ANY DAY of the week.  It's not like Obama can boast of his record in the senate.  What has he done???

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 08:51:53 PM »
LOL if we were basing this on 'ability to do job', the Jeb/Newt ticket would be crushing Dodd/Richardson.
That, my friend, is THE DREAM TICKET!!!  Bring Colin Powell back as Secretary of Defense and the competition might as well say goodnight!

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 08:53:36 PM »
She's also pro choice. 
That's an automatic "no vote" for me.  I'm not voting for any candidate who's pro-choice.  EVER! 

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 10:11:33 PM »
divorced twice and no kids

Think her jawline explains the lack of kids.... probably has more testosterone coursing through her veins than the Coach does.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2008, 10:46:32 PM »
That's an automatic "no vote" for me.  I'm not voting for any candidate who's pro-choice.  EVER! 

I hear you.  At least you're consistent. 

She's left of center on abortion and homosexual rights. 

She has done a remarkable job leading this state.  Saved it from 40 years of Democrat rule.  We're still a one party state, but she has been elected twice.  She has been working with a veto-proof Democrat majority in both houses and still gets things done.  Extremely smart.  Tough.  Practical.  Compassionate.  Great business sense. 

Ideally, I'd like to see McCain appoint her to a cabinet post and let Lt. Gov. Duke Aiona run as incumbent in two years.       

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2008, 10:48:00 PM »
And a well-known lesbian!

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2008, 11:26:23 PM »

The religious right oughto love that ...NOT!
Choosing a gov of Alaska is imo a big mistake, ...especially when you consider all the pork Alaska got to the detriment of other regions. Voters no doubt will resent that, and automatically see more status quo business as usual in Washington. Furthermore, to choose a candidate just because she's a woman in some attempt to appear as progressive as your opponents will backfire big time. I hope they do.
w

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2008, 06:04:47 AM »

CC in FL is no secret either...

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2008, 07:12:47 AM »
Romney was recently reported speaking with McCain and making great efforts to raise $ for his campaign.  Though these two had some heated battles in the debates, it was far less than Hillary & Obama.  Any chance of McCain picking Romney?  Energetic, younger, the strongest experience with economics of all the candidates...

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2008, 07:31:11 AM »
Romney was recently reported speaking with McCain and making great efforts to raise $ for his campaign.  Though these two had some heated battles in the debates, it was far less than Hillary & Obama.  Any chance of McCain picking Romney?  Energetic, younger, the strongest experience with economics of all the candidates...

maybe.  he might have been using him to raise $ in utah (where romney got a 19 to 1 vote advantage over mccain).

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2008, 07:37:45 AM »
calmus, lesbians need lovin too...