Author Topic: Obama to raise Capital Gains taxes on investments  (Read 3036 times)

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
Obama to raise Capital Gains taxes on investments
« on: March 28, 2008, 02:17:47 PM »
In an interview this week Obama is quoted as saying he favors raising the capital gains tax from its current rate of 15% to 25%.   :o
This is a huge increase and another example of his idea of funding a larger government, impeding free markets, penalyzing investors and company owners (large and small) and redistribution of wealth.  This is a very important quote that did not get enough attention in the last 2 days.

For those not familiar with Capital Gains Tax:  This is a tax charged on capital gains, the profit realized on the sale of a non-inventory assets. The most common capital gains are realized from the sale of stocks, bonds, precious metals and property. Not all countries implement a capital gains tax and most have different rates of taxation for individuals and corporations.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Re: Obama to raise Capital Gains taxes on investments
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 02:24:33 PM »
From U.S. News & World report:
March 28, 2008
As part of his "Tax Fairness for the Middle Class" plan, Barack Obama is in favor of nearly doubling the capital-gains tax rate from 15 percent to 28 percent. Leaving the fairness issue aside—as well as the impact of higher taxes on economic growth—the Obama plan could also be called a "Ways in Which Government Can Collect More Taxes to Pay for New Spending" plan, since Democratic candidates are all scrambling to figure out ways to plausibly pay for new healthcare, education, and infrastructure spending if elected.
----------------------------

In Obamas push to give additional tax credits to the low and low middle class, he states he is increasing the already graduated incometax on the rich and investment taxes.  The problem is that he is increasing taxes on much of the middle class.  The problem is in how 'rich' is defined.  If we are talking corporate executives and CEOs of large corporations, they earn a million or more per year.  His tax policies will affect anyone who ownes stocks, funds and small companies!  Thats bullshit.  He is going to stick it to people who make over $70,000/yr and thats not right.  If he wants to go after millionaires, then he must change his policies, otherwise hard working professionals, small business owners and investors are being penalyzed for good decisions, hard work and initiative.  This goes for hard working tradesworkers too.  I know several who make at least $70,000 or more and they bust their butt to do so...should they be penalyzed too? 
This is not fair people!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 02:32:00 PM »
IMO,

The rich AND the middle class are going to have to shoulder the burden and get hit with taxes during a semi-recession - in conjunction with less borrowing - in order to turn around the deficit.

Yea, it'll suck.  But the alternative?  Shit, what is the alternative?  Keep everything how it is and watch the dollar keep sliding as world confidence keeps fading as we keep borrowing a tril per year just to stay afloat?

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 02:34:15 PM »
Bullshit (respectfully...I call bullshit).  Stop the excessive gov spending, start weaning down military expenditures outside this country, and stop giving so much aid to countries that don't need it and stick their thumb at us anyway.  Decreasing spending is much more effective than raising taxes 240.  Also, stop the lopsided trade deficits.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 03:16:37 PM »
Decreasing spending is much more effective than raising taxes 240. 

aagree 100%

but

both of them will keep up the spending.  we might as well fund it in a way not called chinese loans.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 05:04:11 PM »
I think these enormous loans from other countries are putting us in a situation America has not seen before (in a very bad way).

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 08:04:18 PM »
 Democrats have had no more sense than a flock of geese. Hiking these taxes hurts Main Street, the most important investor class of all. Many senior citizens live entirely on dividend income alone; the middle class desperately needs its 401K and IRA money like never before because Social Security is in a ditch (thanks to the Democrats changing the law in the ‘60s so it could, for the first time, get its mitts on Social Security funds to spend on pork and to buy votes).

The Democratic candidates, in their blinkered concretism, stubbornly refuse to acknowledge human behavior. Investors sit on assets, including stocks, rather than sell and pay the capital gains tax, because capital gains taxes are voluntary. You don’t have to pay until you sell. Higher capital gains taxes keep frozen all sorts of economic activity. Hike taxes, you also get tax avoidance schemes going viral too–and massive loopholes written into the colossally inefficient tax code, a big tangled pile of barbed wire as it is. But we’d rather be a nation of tax lawyers and accountants. Both Obama and Clinton want to make it even more confusing with gimmicky credits that won’t buy you a bag of groceries for a month.

Obama and Clinton want to hurt Main Street with more taxes. “Why is Barack Obama so hell-bent on pursuing policies that would wreck America’s retirement savings?” asks Ryan Ellis, tax policy director at Americans for Tax Reform. ”Because, by and large, he doesn’t have any skin in the game.”       

How so? Obama is not part of the investor class because he’s reported no dividend income on his tax returns from 2001 to 2004, and just $2,754 in dividend income on his 2005 tax return and $1,188 on his 2006 return (Clinton has yet to release her returns).

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 10:12:37 PM »
In an interview this week Obama is quoted as saying he favors raising the capital gains tax from its current rate of 15% to 25%.   :o

Fuck Obama!  >:(   

If he wants more of my money, why doesn't he get a gun and try to take it like the rest of the ****** do?  >:(

How 'bout CUTTING SPENDING?  That's what is needed, not more money flowing from the private sector to the public.
Ron: "I am lazy."

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 10:30:33 PM »

If he wants more of my money, why doesn't he get a gun and try to take it like the rest of the ****** do?  >:(

...cause he's a democrat and they believe in taking away all the guns.   ;D

240 knipfit in ...

w

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 06:10:36 AM »
Yay class warfare!

Yay entitlement!

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2008, 07:08:20 AM »
Bindare, good points.  I saw the same reasoning against this plan used by several economist in searching the net about Obama and increasing capital gains.
Its a complete fallacy that the rich are the only ones who have stocks and investments.  Your right Bindare, many retired workers live off their dividends and investments.  We should now penalyze them and people who are taking risks investing in new companies...how in the hell is this fair or make sense?  These issues need to be brought to the general public, even if people like Obama (as I do) we can't vote for him because of his far left and quasi-social agenda for this country.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2008, 10:14:20 AM »
This is a huge increase and another example of his idea of funding a larger government, impeding free markets, penalyzing investors and company owners (large and small) and redistribution of wealth.  This is a very important quote that did not get enough attention in the last 2 days.

For those not familiar with Capital Gains Tax:  This is a tax charged on capital gains, the profit realized on the sale of a non-inventory assets. The most common capital gains are realized from the sale of stocks, bonds, precious metals and property. Not all countries implement a capital gains tax and most have different rates of taxation for individuals and corporations.

Good grief.  We really can't afford this guy.   :-\

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2008, 10:27:06 AM »
Good grief.  We really can't afford this guy.   :-\

Told ya.  :P

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2008, 10:53:58 AM »

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2008, 11:28:20 AM »
Sigh, 

I'm not very excited anymore........I wasn't excited to begin with.  But still......

I'd like to hear more on this, but as it stands this does not bode well for Obama IMO and does not strengthen my desire to vote for him becuase i don't want the repubs to keep power.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2008, 12:41:56 PM »
I don't want total republican power either, there needs to be a balance (dems have control in congress).  This hurts anyone trying to start businesses or invest, which usually leads to more productivity.  It makes no sense.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2008, 01:08:51 PM »
Doesn't sound like Obama will be a friend of the business community at all. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2008, 01:11:07 PM »
Doesn't sound like Obama will be a friend of the business community at all. 

No it doesn't but i need to hear more.

Raising it 10%-15% will hurt many people.

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2008, 02:09:42 PM »
There has to be pain to make change.  Somebody has got to give.  Well middle and lower have nothing to give anymore, so the only place to look is to the increasingly rich.

Its like starting a diet. Its all good to talk about it,but when your 3 days in and would knaw off your foot for a peice of bread....this is where you make your stand.

Cant get anymore blood from the middle and lower, so whatre you gonna do.?   Obama has already talked about tax cuts from unwanted projects (War) for the most part but its a package deal......lotsa ways to make it work.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2008, 07:51:09 PM »
There has to be pain to make change.  Somebody has got to give.  Well middle and lower have nothing to give anymore, so the only place to look is to the increasingly rich.

Its like starting a diet. Its all good to talk about it,but when your 3 days in and would knaw off your foot for a peice of bread....this is where you make your stand.

Cant get anymore blood from the middle and lower, so whatre you gonna do.?   Obama has already talked about tax cuts from unwanted projects (War) for the most part but its a package deal......lotsa ways to make it work.

People at the low end of the income scale pay little, if any income taxes. 

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2008, 07:53:54 PM »

But they're getting a stimulus check.

Expect a big surge in the sale of alcohol, cigarettes, and lottery tickets.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2008, 08:01:23 PM »
But they're getting a stimulus check.

Expect a big surge in the sale of alcohol, cigarettes, and lottery tickets.

Yeah.  Those same people will get the Earned Income Tax Credit.  I don't fault them at all for getting whatever they can, but the contention they are being burdened to help "the rich" is just wrong. 

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2008, 08:03:03 PM »

Exactly my point.   Govt cant pick on em, they have nothing left.  Middle class has been supporting the economy for a while, but they are being erased by the messes created recently.

Only money left to go get is the people making 70k and above.  (Which includes me)

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2008, 08:04:28 PM »
Yeah.  Those same people will get the Earned Income Tax Credit.  I don't fault them at all for getting whatever they can, but the contention they are being burdened to help "the rich" is just wrong. 

The Earned Income Tax Credit is a stupid move by Bush.

If you give a hungry man a loaf of bread to eat today he'll still be hungry tomorrow.

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2008, 08:16:29 PM »
The Earned Income Tax Credit is a stupid move by Bush.

If you give a hungry man a loaf of bread to eat today he'll still be hungry tomorrow.

You know who enacted a law to cap welfare to 2 yrs??   Until then people were living off welfare for years upon years with no trouble.     It was Bill clinton in the 90's!!    I remember low lifes being so pissed off about that!!      A democrat tried to fix the system.   Repubs have done nothing like this as far as i know.