Author Topic: Dems standing strong - terror card backfiring  (Read 1205 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Dems standing strong - terror card backfiring
« on: March 29, 2008, 08:48:57 PM »
President Bush is playing the terror card again, but this time it’s hurting Republicans.

The debate over domestic spying, the most active counterterrorism battle in the 110th Congress, began like every other security fight in the Bush era. First, both parties say they support the core objective: preventing terrorism, for example, or deploying effective surveillance. Then Republicans declare that only their approach can work, while the Democrats’ alternative would endanger America. Cue the attack ads and fear-mongering press conferences, and soon the Democrats cave.

That is the story line for four of the administration’s signature security laws: the Homeland Security Department, the Detainee Treatment Act, the Military Commissions Act and the Protect America Act.
Yet those tactics have failed to cow Democrats in the current standoff over domestic spying.

Despite attack ads, irresponsible rhetoric from the administration and a veto threat for any spying bills that do not include retroactive immunity for telecommunications companies that allegedly broke intelligence law, House Democrats are standing strong. If anything, the GOP terror card is boomeranging.

A conservative group run by Cliff May, a former RNC official, recently launched a $3 million advertising campaign to hit 16 Democratic members of Congress on spying. Targets included freshman Reps. Timothy J. Walz (Minn.), Carol Shea-Porter (N.H.), Ron Klein (Fla.), Tim Mahoney (Fla.), Christopher Murphy (Conn.) and Joseph Courtney (Conn.). And the message is classic terror card: lies and fear mongering.

First, the group’s ad falsely claims that the immunity stalemate prevented the U.S. from “intercept[ing] Al Qaeda communications.” In fact, surveillance continues today, separate from the immunity debate. The 30-second ad crammed in “several misleading claims,” according to the nonpartisan Annenberg Public Policy Center at the University of Pennsylvania.

Then, true to form, the overwrought ad features a dramatic cameo from Osama bin Laden. Apparently the only Republicans capable of finding bin Laden are casting agents.

To bring the point home, the House Republican conference is also circulating an ad claiming that the immunity impasse puts “America at risk.” It’s another odd angle for the GOP, since Bush is the one obstructing the underlying spying bill with veto threats.

The attacks not only failed to pass the bill, however, they may have also backfired.

The terror card angered conservative Democrats who were backing Bush’s spying agenda. Senate Intelligence Committee Chairman John D. Rockefeller IV (D-W.Va.), a mild-mannered supporter of Bush’s immunity provision, responded to Republican scare tactics by accusing the administration of “political terrorism.”

For uncommitted Democrats, the premature attacks served to calcify their backbones. It was another reminder that their security credentials will be smeared no matter how they vote — or even before they’ve made up their mind.

The Democrats who led the fight, of course, benefited from an (incremental) victory. As Politico reported last week, progressive Democrats “stared down the president on a key national security issue and enjoyed a week of largely positive headlines.”

And out on the campaign trail, some Democratic congressional candidates are leading with their opposition to telecom immunity.

Take the newest Democratic member of the House, Bill Foster, who just won the special election for former Speaker Dennis Hastert’s seat in Illinois. Foster, a first-time candidate, campaigned against immunity, using the issue as an example of the administration’s corrupt security policy.

“The president and his allies in Congress are playing politics with national security, and that’s wrong,” he told the blog OpenLeft in February. “Nobody is above the law, and telecom companies who engaged in illegal surveillance should be held accountable, not given retroactive immunity.” Foster carried the red district by 6 points. (Bush won it by 10 points in 2004.)

In New Mexico’s 1st District, which went Republican by half a point last cycle, Democratic candidate Martin Heinrich seized on the immunity issue. He cut a Web ad discussing how his grandparents’ flight from European fascism informs his focus on defending civil liberties during war. “The telecom amnesty provision in the FISA legislation currently before Congress threatens those liberties we all hold so dear,” the candidate said. “If the Senate FISA bill passes, illegal spying programs will never be investigated and lawbreakers will never be prosecuted.”

His Republican opponent, Darren White, responded by accusing Heinrich of exploiting the surveillance debate to “score political points.” But it’s telling that a Republican candidate is the one complaining about politicizing security issues. Right or wrong, White is already conceding that fighting immunity can be a strong political position for Democrats.

Finally, as both sides aver, this battle is ultimately bigger than the politics of telecom immunity.
Substantively, it is a test of how our society responds to terrorism. Will we maintain accountability, oversight and the rule of law while aggressively pursuing terrorists, or will we allow incumbent politicians to trade away our rights to increase their own power?

Procedurally, it is a contest over whether security imperatives can still pre-empt public debates — with veto threats cast as ticking time bombs — or if the electorate will reward strong leadership that rebuffs false choices in favor of a more cogent and sustainable counterterrorism policy.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Re: Dems standing strong - terror card backfiring
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 08:53:30 PM »
The responses to this will likely attack everything but the facts...

the fear card has been used to get legislation passed.  One side might call it "reminding us of the threat to influence the vote".  But when you step back, using osama's image to scare people into voting for something is actually terrorism too. 

The other thing is this "retroactive immunity" that repubs want but dems are standing strong in denying.  Think about it for a second: These companies broke the law.  The White House avoided breaking the law by ignoring the law then claiming exec privlege to not have to answer for it.  The laws were in place to let them do it.  But the companies?  They have no protection for breaking the law.

This all boils down to companies not wanting to be held accountable for the laws they broke. 

(Note: Remember that the wiretaps continue to this day - this law doesn't affect them at all - the dems simply don't want to "forget" about the tens of thousands of illegal wiretaps that Bush ordered, and these companies did during the last 7 years... that list will be a hella smoking gun if used for political purposes...)

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 09:23:11 PM »
The election will come down to the economy.

I think most Americans will not be as worried about the durkas overseas with rising gas and food prices and their retirement plans taking it in the shorts.

It's a pity they don't hold elections around April 15th.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 09:27:56 PM »
look at Bush 91.
Economy was poor, needing a dem to tax the rich and get a surplus going.
War was ending, and people weren't scared of a saddam anymore.
He lost despite the fact he should have destroyed a little-known hick like Clinton.

Look at Bush 07.
Economy is poor, and something needs to change.
War is ending, and people have been scared for 7 years.  2/3 of the nation thinks 911 was a sham.  80% of the country thinks Iraq was a mistake. 

And the Repub canddiate is giftwrapping the election by saying things like 'the economy is strong' and '100 more years in iraq'.

post war, poor economy, are traditionally change elections.  Some folks will say Rev Wright is bigger than that trend.  IMO that is silliness.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 10:24:33 PM »
I remember when Bush Sr. was running against Clinton, and he brought up the war.
It would have been one of the funniest things had it not been so vulgar and clueless.

I like the comment "It's the Economy Stupid!"
Bush Sr. didn't understand it then, ...and I doubt another Bush (McCain) will understand it now.
w

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 09:10:28 AM »
I remember when Bush Sr. was running against Clinton, and he brought up the war.
It would have been one of the funniest things had it not been so vulgar and clueless.

I like the comment "It's the Economy Stupid!"
Bush Sr. didn't understand it then, ...and I doubt another Bush (McCain) will understand it now.

And because it's the economy I'll be surprised if Obama is elected when the price tag for this guy is revealed.

I wonder how much reparations will cost the American taxpayer?  :-\

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 05:54:29 AM »
And because it's the economy I'll be surprised if Obama is elected when the price tag for this guy is revealed.

I wonder how much reparations will cost the American taxpayer?  :-\

Where the heck did that come from. It's not in his platform or in any politicians.  :-\
w

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 06:52:16 AM »
Where the heck did that come from. It's not in his platform or in any politicians.  :-\

Just stuff I've been reading and with the church he's associated with and the political rantings of his former paster it does make me think about it.

Let's all be honest here. Does anyone truly believe that in addition to increased social spending that reparations will not be put on the table? Especially with a black President in the White House?

I would be very surprised if it never came up.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 09:04:56 AM »
Just stuff I've been reading and with the church he's associated with and the political rantings of his former paster it does make me think about it.

Congratulations! You're falling for the BS. Mike Walker would be very pleased. you know he ran that on the cover ?

Let's all be honest here. Does anyone truly believe that in addition to increased social spending that reparations will not be put on the table? Especially with a black President in the White House?

I would be very surprised if it never came up.

Things come up all the time. The issue of reparations comes up under every single presidential administration.
I have no doubt that those pushing for it will attempt to bring it up again, ...but it ain't gonna happen.
I don't care if it's Black President in the White house or not. It's impossible. That kind of lunacy is more probable under a Bush administration. And yes, ...I'm being totally honest! It's fear mongering. Haven't you had enough of that?
w

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 09:14:33 AM »
Congratulations! You're falling for the BS. Mike Walker would be very pleased. you know he ran that on the cover ?

Things come up all the time. The issue of reparations comes up under every single presidential administration.
I have no doubt that those pushing for it will attempt to bring it up again, ...but it ain't gonna happen.
I don't care if it's Black President in the White house or not. It's impossible. That kind of lunacy is more probable under a Bush administration. And yes, ...I'm being totally honest! It's fear mongering. Haven't you had enough of that?

Yes. I think we've all had enough of fear mongering FROM BOTH PARTIES.

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 08:49:05 PM »
About time dems stood up to the a-hole bush.  This cowboy wannabe is almost thru and will be go down in history as the most corrupt of all time.