Author Topic: London vote: Conservative or wot? This is the first time I've  (Read 5313 times)

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
  • thank you Ron & Getbig, I've had so much fun
Re: London vote: Conservative or wot? This is the first time I've
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2008, 09:04:20 AM »
Wow, you're the first person I've met with a negative IQ.

You love Ken Livingstone but hate labour? Contradiction here.

See: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7324485.stm

Best thing you can do is vote BNP, not to actually get them in power but to let Labour and Co. realise that we've had enough of their shit. Most cowardice government ever. G. Brown is a repulsive fat cunt.

I wont' waste my vote, so I've two choices:  Red or Blue.

I in fact said that I had previously adored Ken's policies, not that I love him, he's repulsive.

And I said that my family and theirs before them were all Labour voters, but explained that my Dad went Conservative after he hit the 50pc tax bracket...  This country was great, it all went swimmingly after the last world war, but lately all the megamillionaire high tax paying commercial capitalists moved to America.

sorry darling, you've not understood what's going on here.

Brown is our PM, he took over from Blair and they're the Labour party.  They govern this fair country...  The London vote has nothing to do (unless the Reds lose) with the Prime Minister or who is looking after GB, it's a local vote.

We have an election coming up on May 1st for a new London Mayor.  It's looking as if Ken (the Labour candidate who has been in power for 8 years) will lose to Boris Johnson, Conservative.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2008, 09:48:51 AM »

Voting Lib Dem will be a no go (and I kinda like Brian Paddick, the gay ex-headcop, he seems truthful... but they get maybe 10pc of the vote.  He'll swing if there is a hung vote.

{giggle}

Judi, unfortunately we only have two parties here and the Lib Dems don't get a look in.  (And I'm sorry to say that I thought it appropriate that my employers in Canada were required to pay for my OHIP.  It made sense, it was part of my employment deal.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that setting it up so that employers covered it made sense to me too, however, I was already covered because I had paid for it under the old structure and still had coverage left, and they DINGED me big time for employees I didn't have. If I remember correctly, it was done on a sliding scale something like 1-200 employees, 201 - 1000, or something like that, so I as someone already covered, and not even considered an employee at the time because I didn't draw a salary, got hit with the same rate as someone with 200 people employed. The one employee I did have at the time (moi) who was classified as a shareholder was already covered. It was like when I was 16 and had a part time job. As a dependant minor, I had full coverage through my Mom's insurance, but they took off the insurance premiums from my pay cheques. They had me paying twice. So Bob Rae changed it so people wouldn't be stuck paying twice or or even three times as is the case for those with two parents working, and they themselves having a PT time job. But the way he changed it, still ended up causing me to pay twice, as well as pay for employees I didn't have. I already had full coverage elsewhere. It was essentially forcing me to pay twice for the same thing. I didn't think I should be forced to pay the bill twice, if it was already fully paid... why ...just because they made a change in determining WHO should pay the bill? Nah! If the bill is paid... it's paid! Now, if they were going to refund me for the previous payments ok, but that wasn't the case.They quickly figured out they goofed and rectified how it was done. They hadn't taken into account smaller businesses. And even though I was a small fry, I had things structured to take advantage of benefits and strategies that often were only available to the large mega corporations. That initial transition period saw alot of people in similar situations, and those employers who had already stepped up to the plate to pay for their employees coverage and had been doing so for years, also found themselves paying twice as well. It was quickly rectified after that.

Alot of policies from the past didn't accomodate for the new paradigms. It was either you employed people, or you were employed by people. The concept of people doing a bit of this and a bit of that, and diversifying their income sources weren't taken into account because so few people were doing it. The widespread betrayal of the corporate world towards it's employees in the Reagan induced recession and the fallout from that, saw a huge upswing in people doing just that, so now we see these provisions, but they weren't in place back then.

Anyways, I've decided I'm definitely not voting for Red Ken again.  I regret to say that I voted for him the first time recently, (he was mayor a long time ago previously when they had the Greater London Council, but I was in Canada), because he promised the earth.  I didn't bother voting the second time because he was a shoo-in.

This time, the vote for the London Mayor matters...

xL

w

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2008, 10:08:35 AM »
{giggle}

Alot of policies from the past didn't accomodate for the new paradigms.

But many do.  Health care in Canada was wonderful and the NHS here used to be.

Many of the new policies they've had to uptake on this little island were unfortunately decided by bigger powers.

I've tried to explain to people so many times about how when we moved to Canada from Britain in the 70s, my Dad had to have a good job, we had to prove we were worthy.  I remember going to Canada House in Trafalgar Square and filling out a questionnaire about the names of previous Canadian Prime Ministers and naming the great lakes.  & after that (& after checking my father's references), they allowed our family to emmigrate.

The huge problem here now is the fact that England took over the world and commonwealthed.  Then, waaa, everyone from Europe, Africa, India and everywhere else has legal rights. 

Payback.  Makes sense to me and I'm 3rd generation British, but mixed race.

xxxL

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2008, 10:10:02 AM »

I wont' waste my vote, so I've two choices:  Red or Blue.

We have an election coming up on May 1st for a new London Mayor.  It's looking as if Ken (the Labour candidate who has been in power for 8 years) will lose to Boris Johnson, Conservative.

Linda, I think it's a mistake for people to "vote strategically"... where they vote for a candidate other than their preferred choice, simply because they think their preferred candidate has no chance of winning. I think this is a mistake, ...because what they end up getting is a government with a mandate that doesn't address their concerns. That's why I think it's so admirable of Ron Paul to stay in the election, because he is giving Republicans a candidate who represent their views. This is something McCain, or Obama, whichever gets the presidency cannot afford to ignore. Bush Snr. ignored the voices of Republican voters who wanted Ross Perot. He didn't listen to that huge constituency, and they flocked to Bill Clinton in the next election. Bill listened to the voices of democrats who voted for him, and he listened to the voices of Republicans who didn't vote him, ...and he got his 2nd term. Bill listened, and heard the people say it was all about the economy, while Bush wanted to run on his war record.

For a democracy to work, the people have to know what's going on, but more importantly, it can't be about choosing "the winning candidate", or refusing to vote the way you want because you don't think the candidate or the platform you want stands a chance of winning. Your vote is your say, and if's your way of telling the government that's what you want, and giving them your mandate, whether your candidate wins or not. If you don't tell the gov what you want, ...you can't complain when you don't get it, because you never bothered to state your wishes to begin with.
w

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2008, 10:15:03 AM »
I'm voting for Boris.  Time for a change.

xL

This is a massive election year and I hope Obama wins too (don't know much if anything, about US politics, but I find the Mrs Clintons too much to take.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2008, 10:21:41 AM »

But many do.  Health care in Canada was wonderful and the NHS here used to be.

Healthcare in Canada still is wonderful. We just went through a sticky transition period in the crossover from individually funded coverage to employer funded coverage.

Many of the new policies they've had to uptake on this little island were unfortunately decided by bigger powers.

Can't comment there, I'm not familiar with how the UK manages their version of universal healthcare

I've tried to explain to people so many times about how when we moved to Canada from Britain in the 70s, my Dad had to have a good job, we had to prove we were worthy.  I remember going to Canada House in Trafalgar Square and filling out a questionnaire about the names of previous Prime Ministers and naming the great lakes.  & they allowed us to emmigrate.

The huge problem here is the fact that England took over the world and commonwealthed.  Then, waaa, everyone from Europe, Africa, India and everywhere else has legal rights. 

Payback.  Makes sense to me and I'm 3rd generation British, but mixed race.

xxxL

Not sure what you're getting at here. Canada is part of the British CommonWealth as well. Under Pierre Elliot Trudeau, they dismantled the old racist system they had in place, and introduced a fairer points based system, and swung open the doors to every nation on the planet. If you had the criteria to pass, you got in. As a result, it has attracted some of the brightest minds on the planet, and the cream of the crop from around the world. Unfortunately, alot of them don't get very far because of the language barriers they face, ...but their credentials are impeccable.  Now if only we could put a stop to so many of these unecessary wars around the world, we wouldn't have to take in so many refugees.
w

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2008, 10:25:18 AM »

Can't comment there, I'm not familiar with how the UK manages

I was talking about the war, sorry...

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2008, 10:25:29 AM »
I'm voting for Boris.

xL

This is a massive election year and I hope Obama wins too (don't know much if anything, about US politics, but I find the Mrs Clintons too much to take.

:)  Isn't Boris the one you don't like? I know what you mean about Mrs Clinton.

While I respect her capabilities, I wouldn't trust that woman any further than I could throw her.
I have no doubt though that alot of people feel that way, ...and if she were to sew up the nomination, I'm sure there'll be alot of eyes watching her like a hawk!
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2008, 10:27:44 AM »

I was talking about the war, sorry...

Do you mean the NHS system there is overburdened with all the war casualties it now needs to treat?
w

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2008, 10:29:08 AM »
:)  Isn't Boris the one you don't like?

Ken Livingstone has been London Mayor for 8 years, and there is an election coming up.  Boris is the Conservative candidate.  He's new.  I like Boris, he cycles and he's a high class blond.  Also he's hilariously funny.

I'm repeating myself.

xL

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2008, 10:31:45 AM »
Do you mean the NHS system there is overburdened with all the war casualties it now needs to treat?

It's not like 'nam or anything, but it's dire...

Nowadays it seems like more people die from CDiff and MRSA.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2008, 10:34:21 AM »

Ken Livingstone has been London Mayor for 8 years, and there is an election coming up.  Boris is the Conservative candidate.  He's new.  I like Boris, he cycles and he's a high class blond.  Also he's hilariously funny.

I'm repeating myself.

xL

Hmmm... I see. Well he certainly does seem to have impeccable credentials for the position.  ;D
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2008, 10:36:36 AM »

It's not like 'nam or anything, but it's dire...

Nowadays it seems like more people die from CDiff and MRSA.

Sorry Linda, I'm not familiar with those terms. What are CDiff and MRSA?
w

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2008, 10:39:42 AM »
alot of them don't get very far because of the language barriers they face

I so don't understand that.  I thought the reason everyone wanted to move to England was because they really really wanted to learn English !

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2008, 10:41:06 AM »
Sorry Linda, I'm not familiar with those terms. What are CDiff and MRSA?

Killer hospital viruses.  Not nice.