Author Topic: The IFBB pro judging standards? What ideas do you have?  (Read 1951 times)

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
The IFBB pro judging standards? What ideas do you have?
« on: March 31, 2008, 06:17:07 AM »
I would like to see a real consistant and firm effort to make sure the Mainion "belly ban" was enforced. This edict, along with judging the overall quality of the physique was the main criteria. I would like to see cuts , shape and conditioning be MORE focus than sheer mass. This does NOT mean the most ripped 140 lb,6 ft guy can win, it still is bodybuilding.
Kelly Ryan married well!  Free Titus!

MB

• Getbig IV
Re: The IFBB pro judging standards? What ideas do you have?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 06:39:28 AM »
Weight limits.  Make the competitors choose wisely where to add mass rather than indiscriminately increasing bodyweight.  Cutler, Coleman, Yates, Levrone, Wheeler; the list is endless of the guys who looked their best early in their careers.  We've seen enough "modern" bodybuilding to set a fair scale, maybe:
6'3" - 285 lbs. max.
6'1" - 265 lbs max.
5'11" - 245 lbs max.
5'9" - 225 lbs max.
5'7" - 205 lbs max.
5'5" - 185 lbs max.

mikediesel

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 06:40:30 AM »
 Howie W please Kill yourself. Thank you and have a good day

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 07:13:20 AM »
Do away with rounds. Have heaps more judges for the most important contests. Select the best overall competitor through comparisons. Get rid of the 'deviation' method of assessing the judges. Consensus is no guarantee of validity in judging.

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 08:08:43 AM »
I would consider this request if and only if it helped the IFBB...yikes maybe it would hehe  :o
Plus, my dogs need a daddy.I am busy trying to fend off this wild beast at the momment.
Howard

Brutal_1

• Getbig V
  • Your best is...
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 08:13:57 AM »

::)

just not good enough

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 08:22:04 AM »
Weight limits.  Make the competitors choose wisely where to add mass rather than indiscriminately increasing bodyweight.  Cutler, Coleman, Yates, Levrone, Wheeler; the list is endless of the guys who looked their best early in their careers.  We've seen enough "modern" bodybuilding to set a fair scale, maybe:
6'3" - 285 lbs. max.
6'1" - 265 lbs max.
5'11" - 245 lbs max.
5'9" - 225 lbs max.
5'7" - 205 lbs max.
5'5" - 185 lbs max.

This is the right idea but I would make it up to the judges to mark down when the guy had gotten TOO heavy for his ht. Look at how they judge a dog show? You have an ideal standard which includes ideal size. You can't have winning poodel with a chest the size of St Bernard. Bodybuilding has never considered the idea that one can have a muscle that is TOO BIG for one's frame.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 08:51:45 AM »
hahahahhaa, what bunch of fagggots, "weight limits" for certain heights ::) people want to see the freaks plain and simple, fucck all the gay shit.

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
  • WTF Happened, BBing Is Dead. I Didn't Miss A Thing
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 08:54:14 AM »
I would consider this request if and only if it helped the IFBB...yikes maybe it would hehe  :o
Plus, my dogs need a daddy.I am busy trying to fend off this wild beast at the momment.
Howard

Holy shit I heard Komoto Dragon statues were one of the most dangerous statues in the world :o
I

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 08:58:35 AM »

Holy shit I heard Komoto Dragon statues were one of the most dangerous statues in the world :o
This one was hard as a rock for some reason, but I subdued him with my superhuman powers

MB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 09:09:06 AM »
hahahahhaa, what bunch of fagggots, "weight limits" for certain heights  people want to see the freaks plain and simple, fucck all the gay shit.

Some would consider the freakiest to be Ronnie at 245 lbs for the '01 Arnold.  You can still have freaks and weight limits.   

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 09:23:47 AM »
Some would consider the freakiest to be Ronnie at 245 lbs for the '01 Arnold.  You can still have freaks and weight limits.   
I feel that most have better and deeper separation at slightly lowe wts myself.
In my opinion the desire to see freaks and not physiques as works of art ruins the sport.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 03:55:23 PM »
Judging physiques is hardly an easy task. The process involves assessing competitors against some ideal. Various components are considered and this is where it becomes difficult because different competitors have strengths and weaknesses. For example, how much importance does conditioning have in a contest? Today there is probably too much importance to conditioning. This has occurred because the judges finally have something tangible they can base their decisions on.

The overall impression should be paramount. The qualities should be headed by size, then shape, proportions, definition, minus flaws and negative things such as skin texture, tattoos, etc.

How so many black competitors have won with virtually average calves is unknown. In the distant past it was important to have all bodyparts in proportion. Therefore the calves should be similar in size to the upper arms and neck. If there is a disparity of several inches between these parts then the competitor should not win a title.

What bothers me is some competitors have some size in calves but there is hardly any separation in the gastrocnemius. What is going on there? Again, those competitors shouldn't win major titles.

The presence of swollen breasts on men should prevent them from ever winning a bodybuilding title.

The exaggerated muscles like rear deltoids should be examined to see if they are free of artificial additives to get that size. Ditto for calves, triceps, etc.

Well, when it is all said and done this process is untenable for professional competitors. It is a sham. Howie knows there has to be something done but he is all over the place and nowhere consistent about the drugs issue. Add the injectable substances and you really have a mess to deal with.

I don't mind coming up with criteria for judging physiques but how on earth can we judge unnatural bodies? Whatever is the point?

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 04:00:01 PM »
well said, in the land of the insane those with some logic appear daft .
Howard

Brutal_1

• Getbig V
  • Your best is...
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 04:17:14 PM »
well said, in the land of the insane those with some logic appear daft .
Howard

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special.”   - Hawking  ;)
just not good enough

Meltdown

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2008, 04:25:03 PM »
They could start by getting judges who look at the physique and not only at the guys Arse.Howie the fire has started you have some people here very nervous they are moving and deleting threads that mention IFBB Drug use and no use of the Rule.IFBB Drug Rule = Use more Drugs as we don't test. ;D

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2008, 04:31:20 PM »
howie, you're holding some healthy size for being 49.

what's your training/diet like?  You natty or HRTing it?

Moosejay

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2008, 06:04:21 PM »
Howie:

I think they should have more former pros as judges. Too many of the judges lack pro experience or any bb experience at all...believe it or not.

I believe only Katz, and, as of recently Gaspari, have been former pros to judge the Olympia (I think Beckles may have also, but I am unsure).

Mike

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
  • WTF Happened, BBing Is Dead. I Didn't Miss A Thing
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2008, 07:40:48 AM »
Howie:

I think they should have more former pros as judges. Too many of the judges lack pro experience or any bb experience at all...believe it or not.

I believe only Katz, and, as of recently Gaspari, have been former pros to judge the Olympia (I think Beckles may have also, but I am unsure).

Mike

Don't forget Yates, from the look of his scorecards (and reasoning behind it) he is a great judge IMO.

They need to see if Haney would be willing to judge.
I

Special Ed

• Toms
  • Getbig V
  • Special Ed Forever!
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2008, 07:45:49 AM »
howie, you're holding some healthy size for being 49.

what's your training/diet like?  You natty or HRTing it?
Howie admits to HRT via Androgel only. I've warned him against applying it directly to his balls, in that the gain is outweighed by the pain.
BigNationRadio.com

Meltdown

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2008, 06:54:51 PM »
Judges will never get it right just ask Milos. ::)