Author Topic: An open letter to Bob Chic  (Read 14348 times)

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: An open letter to Bob Chic
« Reply #125 on: April 03, 2008, 09:39:18 AM »
I was also there.
The aau died a slow death for sure, but to say that the NPC took over is simply incorrect.
If the NPC truly "took over" as you say, then they would have rights to the Mr. America title, which they do not.

I was very active in the AAU bodybuilding years ago ( judge, bodybuilder, promoter, etc) . I loved their format with the ht classes and the titles with the original Mr names , like Mr Florida or Mr USA or Mr America, etc.
The NPC under Jim Manion began to flourish in the early 80's as the AAU stared to fade.
The NPC had the path to the IFBB pros, the media coverage and more $$$ to back it.
Kelly Ryan married well!  Free Titus!

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #126 on: April 03, 2008, 06:05:28 PM »
Hey, Melvin, glad I could give you a laugh. The NABBA 'professional' rule was quite silly. Anyone who has owned a gym knows it is quite hard to find the time and motivation to train when you are around a gym all day.

What I dislike is the way those pro cards are handed out. Usually the condidates have to please some official and so the tail wagging begins and never stops.

I doubt we will be seeing Melvin in any pro show soon!

dearth

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #127 on: April 03, 2008, 06:56:26 PM »
manion couldn't get his paws on those prestious aau titles

hell, he's even lost the NOC title.

I was very active in the AAU bodybuilding years ago ( judge, bodybuilder, promoter, etc) . I loved their format with the ht classes and the titles with the original Mr names , like Mr Florida or Mr USA or Mr America, etc.
The NPC under Jim Manion began to flourish in the early 80's as the AAU stared to fade.
The NPC had the path to the IFBB pros, the media coverage and more $$$ to back it.

Meltdown

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #128 on: April 03, 2008, 06:59:32 PM »
Wayne took the Money and the NOC and left them the IFBB in the shit cancelling shows everywhere.

Meltdown

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #129 on: April 04, 2008, 07:44:34 PM »
Bob why did Prize Money fall in the IFBB Pro shows when Wayne left?????. ::)

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #130 on: April 04, 2008, 08:34:06 PM »
Bob why did Prize Money fall in the IFBB Pro shows when Wayne left?????. ::)

Depends on what show you're talking about...The NOC was his, his sponsors, etc.  The Olympia is bigger than it ever was when Wayne was promoting it...

Fulgorre

• Getbig III
« Reply #131 on: April 04, 2008, 08:49:56 PM »
Depends on what show you're talking about...The NOC was his, his sponsors, etc.  The Olympia is bigger than it ever was when Wayne was promoting it...

Ummm, the Orleans is a CHEAP hotel and the audience, even at the night show is only a little over half full.  Most of the Olympia is figure competitors.  Sounds like it is doing great! :)

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #132 on: April 04, 2008, 08:58:21 PM »
Ummm, the Orleans is a CHEAP hotel and the audience, even at the night show is only a little over half full.  Most of the Olympia is figure competitors.  Sounds like it is doing great! :)

Ummm, the Orleans hotel IS a cheap hotel, the Orleans ARENA, where the Olympia is held is by no means cheap...obviously, you weren't there so I won't waste my time on the place being "half full"....

The majority of the competitors are women, as they have figure, fitness, and FBB....which only lends to more fans attending. There are no more, or less male competitors than when Wayne was promoting...averages between 20-25.

Great observations, though.....

Fulgorre

• Getbig III
« Reply #133 on: April 04, 2008, 09:18:15 PM »
Ummm, the Orleans hotel IS a cheap hotel, the Orleans ARENA, where the Olympia is held is by no means cheap...obviously, you weren't there so I won't waste my time on the place being "half full"....

The majority of the competitors are women, as they have figure, fitness, and FBB....which only lends to more fans attending. There are no more, or less male competitors than when Wayne was promoting...averages between 20-25.

Great observations, though.....

Don't believe this garbage.  And make sure you get to the night show like 1 hour late otherwise you'll be forced sit through all the figure and women's bb stuff.  The expo is the best part because you can meet all the pros and take tons of pic with fitness hotties.  Oh, and they give you HUGE bags to fill up with supplements.  It is seriously like Halloween for adults at the EXPO. 

The Olympia itself, besides being already decided before it begins, is really poorly done and almost no one is there. Oh, if you do be sure get super close seats if you expect to see details because....the Orleans arena is so cheap the huge monitor can't display ANY detail.  It must have been made in the early 1990's.  Horrible.