Author Topic: PICS of the world-famous gym during the Golden Era - it's NOT Gold's/Venice!!!  (Read 2953 times)

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
We've all seen pics of the inside of Gold's/Venice, but not many have seen pics of the inside of the Duncan YMCA in Chicago where Arnold and Sergio once trained back in 1969...

Moosejay

Cool...Bob Gajda's old place...is it still there, Pollux? I believe it is,

Mike

Pollux

• Getbig V
Cool...Bob Gajda's old place...is it still there, Pollux? I believe it is,

Mike

It's still there, but the Salvation Army resides where the weight rooms were.  :(

mass 04

• Getbig V
where are their string tanks, bandannas and spandex shorts?

Moosejay

It's still there, but the Salvation Army resides where the weight rooms were.  :(

Hmmm...do you know the address? I used to work in a Salvation Army halfway house for parolees when I was completing my education...right in the city...not the greatest area.....

Stark

• Getbig V
Thanks, I add it to my gallery of Old School images on Gymstories.com

Pollux

• Getbig V
Hmmm...do you know the address? I used to work in a Salvation Army halfway house for parolees when I was completing my education...right in the city...not the greatest area.....

Yeah, it's 1515 W. Monroe St. in Chicago.  ;)

Pollux

• Getbig V
Thanks, I add it to my gallery of Old School images on Gymstories.com

No problem. I'm here for my fellow Getbiggers.  ;D

Moosejay

Yeah, it's 1515 W. Monroe St. in Chicago.  ;)

I will have to check on that...it may have been where I was...it WAS in the lower level/ basement...

Stark

• Getbig V
No problem. I'm here for my fellow Getbiggers.  ;D

just out of interest what book are these images from?

Pollux

• Getbig V
just out of interest what book are these images from?

The images of the inside of the Duncan YMCA is from an Ironman.

Stark

• Getbig V
The images of the inside of the Duncan YMCA is from an Ironman.

ah... ok thanks

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
I love that old leg curl/leg extension combination. I trained on a few of those.
and keep moving!

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
I love that old leg curl/leg extension combination. I trained on a few of those.

I trained on those as well. I miss the old hardcore traing attitudes and work ethic. I don't miss the crappy, squeeky equipment however.
Kelly Ryan married well!  Free Titus!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
Man that leg curl machine was awesome back then.  the very first gym I trained at when I was 16 had one like that.  Look at the equipment we had back then and you wonder how any of the guys from back then got to look as good as they did.  Can you imagine what they would look like if they had some of the machines of today.  But I still believe nothing beats barbells and dumbbells.  And those have not changed much at all except they don't rust as much.

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
You can see the old straight up and down leg press as well. 

Anyone remember having a moon bench for pullovers?
and keep moving!

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
The machines and equipment of today far eclipse just about everything from the old days. Today we have safety, function, adjustability, weight stacks, etc., built into most machines. No wonder not many had hams like just about every champ has today.

You need machines to build calves. Unless you found a big gal who agreed to gain weight as you got stronger so you could do donkey raises.

Machines are the best for triceps and many other body parts. Of course, everyone is an expert on Getbig so I suppose we will have plenty of opinions.

My machines use linear motion bearings and the friction is minimized. We have stainless steel handles for all attachment bars and hand grips.

Things were very basic in those days. We look back and it seems a bit amusing but the Duncan was a well equipped gym.

marcus

• Getbig IV
Where are the swiss balls?!  >:(

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
The Swiss balls are right next to the Soleflex Gold Deluxe, just look a little closer.
a

JohnnyVegas

LOL...funny guy.

Actually I was looking at the vertical leg press too-which the most of the best BBing gyms had back then (70's)-this was before the 45 degree angled leg presses were invented.

Gold's Venice was the first to get a 45 degree leg press.

Who remembers the old "moon" leg presses? Where you had a round/curved back/seat area and sat in it like you would driving a car- and leg pressed forward???

Hurricane Beef !

• Getbig V
  • Beat Coach, Wes & Chaos So Bad . . .
LOL...funny guy.

Actually I was looking at the vertical leg press too-which the most of the best BBing gyms had back then (70's)-this was before the 45 degree angled leg presses were invented.

Gold's Venice was the first to get a 45 degree leg press.

Who remembers the old "moon" leg presses? Where you had a round/curved back/seat area and sat in it like you would driving a car- and leg pressed forward???

BodymMasters came up with that design.

The Beef

tom joad

• Getbig V
We've all seen pics of the inside of Gold's/Venice, but not many have seen pics of the inside of the Duncan YMCA in Chicago where Arnold and Sergio once trained back in 1969...

those are very steep incline benches. what exercises are they using them for? (besides maybe seated dumbbell curls.) for me, personally (and i'm no beast haha) anything steeper than about 45 degrees just hits my front delts.

Pollux

• Getbig V
those are very steep incline benches. what exercises are they using them for?

I'm sure they're adjustable. Maybe for the sake of taking the photos they were all align the same. Notice how meticulous the gym is in the pics?

Big Worm

• Getbig IV
  • Really ? You finished turd my flend? Maricon..
In F@ggot ass Blutos mouth.

JohnnyVegas

BodymMasters came up with that design.

The Beef

Bodymasters has a 45 degree leg press with a curved back, but way before that leg press there was a "Moon" leg press (looked like a crescent moon because of the curve)  that you sit in, like a car, and press the weight forward-it was awful, worse than that Bodymasters leg press.

Every gym I go to has the BM 45 degree leg press with that curved back-fuck I hate it.

BTW, was Boyer Coe a founder of BM, or just a spokesperson-I can't remember.