Author Topic: Vet- Bison to be slaughtered?  (Read 1306 times)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
Vet- Bison to be slaughtered?
« on: April 02, 2008, 02:43:12 PM »
I rec'd this today:

Dear Amy,
Yellowstone's wild, free-roaming buffalo herd is under siege.

The Bush Administration is turning the herd's birthing ground into a killing ground for hundreds of mighty bison -- better known as American buffalo.

We must speak out against this cold-blooded cruelty NOW -- because every week, more of these noble creatures are being herded into cattle trucks to be slaughtered.

This winter alone, more than 1,200 wild bison have been brutally killed -- or shipped to slaughterhouses -- by the Montana Department of Livestock, with the cooperation and approval of the National Park Service.

And come May, newborn calves are just as likely to be killed as their mothers.

We cannot stand by and let this massacre continue: Send a protest message now.

Right now, it's still winter in Yellowstone, and these unsuspecting buffalo are following historic migratory routes in search of food at lower elevations where there is less snow.

When the buffalo venture near or beyond the park's boundary, they will continue to be rounded up and killed -- unless we start a national outcry.

What makes this sacrifice so senseless is that it's all to protect roughly 200 domestic cows and steers that graze near the park from the theoretical risk of a disease -- brucellosis -- that has never been transmitted from bison to cattle in a natural setting.

Even more tragic, newborn calves and their mothers will be rounded up this spring in their birthing ground of Horse Butte, Montana -- a completely cattle-free zone -- which means they are being killed for absolutely no reason.

Please speak out and stop the slaughter. Yellowstone's buffalo are a national treasure: America's last, free-roaming herd. The National Park Service should be their guardian, not an accomplice to their execution.

Already, more than 90,000 Americans have submitted protest messages demanding that the National Park Service call a halt to the killing.

But now with so many newborn buffalo about to be killed -- we need to do more. Please submit your protest message and help us stop the spring massacre.

Together, we must speak out to spare the lives of Yellowstone's surviving buffalo so that they can again roam wild and free.

Sincerely,
Frances
Frances Beinecke
President
NRDC Action Fund

I thought Bison were protected?   I figured you might know something about this.  Taking it at it's word it sounds like it is senseless slaughter that probably has money behind it.

And yes, I am subscribed to the NRDC, I think they have made some valid stands against the destruction of habitats and animals.  I have a bit of tree hugger in me that doesn't think man has the right to just mow down and use up everything and the hell with other life on this planet.  (this was not directed at you Vet, just putting it out there  :))

w8m8

Re: Vet- Bison to be slaughtered?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 03:19:45 PM »
I looked but can't find if it's true yet ....this is the last free roaming herd ?

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 04:31:24 PM »
At least they are tasty!

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 07:05:18 PM »
At least they are tasty!

Bison Burgers...mmmm..... ;D
I hate the State.

JediKnight

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 07:10:24 PM »
Bison Burgers...mmmm..... ;D

i was just gonna say that,, ;D

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 09:36:24 PM »
I don't know anything about this hunt. 

Unfortunately the Bison in Yellowstone are one of the final holdouts for Brucellosis (Brucella abortis)---a reproductively transmited infection in domestic cattle that results in sterility, abortions, and is something that both bison and humans can catch.  Bison have many of the same symptoms as domestic cattle.  Many old time farmers developed horrific cases of orchitis (testicular inflammation) and flu like "undulent fever" symptoms secondary to Brucellosis.  It can cause persistant disease in humans, cattle, and bison.  This disease has undergone a very aggressive eradication program across the US over the last 20 years because of the zoonotic potential.  Unfortunately it was in the yellowstone bison when the eradication program began.   

It may have not been clearly transmitted from bison to domestic cattle in a wild situation, but it has happened in captivity nd multiple research studies.  There is enough anecdotal cases to warrant concern about transmission to domestic cattle.  The thing that isn't mentioned in that letter is this disease also affects bison reproductive ability.  Left unchecked to infect all of the bison at yellowstone, someday there won't be any more bison. 

There has been talk of going in, slaughtering this herd and then reintroducing a new herd from  certified brucellosis free animals after a period of time for the land to clear from residual Brucella organisms off an on for years now.   As far as I know the plans are testing, selective culling, and vaccination to control the disease. 

This website probably will answer all of your questions more concisely than I can: 

http://mt.gov/liv/animalhealth/diseases/brucellosis/bison/bison_intro.asp

The other thing is Bovine Tuberculosis (Mycobacterium bovis).  There is currently a bovine TB outbreak in Minnesota that is thought to have come from wildlife.  If I remember correctly bovine TB has been identified in bison around yellowstone historically.  This disease is transmissable to domestic cattle and humans.  Its not as easily transmitted as Brucellosis, but its still a very real zoonotic threat. 

I personally don't like the idea of killing wild buffalo, however, there is some very important information missing in that letter.   It may be something that is ultimately for the better of the entire species.  You need to find out why they are killing them before going out to protest it.  This letter very well could be pure internet bullshit.