Author Topic: Sending your child to war  (Read 1182 times)

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
Sending your child to war
« on: April 02, 2008, 08:33:04 PM »
The Jesse Ventura thread brings up a good point. This question is nothing new but I don't believe a  thread has been started on it specifically. I'm going to peraphrase here but he said something like, "The only war worth fighting is the one you would be willing to send your own son to go and fight and (possibly) ,die for."

How many of you that believe the Iraq war is noble and just would send your own child to go and fight? If you don't have a child and can't make the connection than reverse the roles and ask if you would send your mother or father, husband or wife to go and fight.

With that said, is the Iraq war still a war worth fighting for in your mind?

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
Re: Sending your child to war
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 08:38:46 PM »

I'd go before I sent my kid... and the only reason I'd go was if I felt that my family's future well-being was threatened.  We haven't had that kind of threat since WWII

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 08:45:44 PM »
I agree with Jesse and  to answer your question... No... and it never was.

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 08:50:41 PM »
No.    But if you pull up  in my driveway in a humvee without my permission, youll be seen as a threat and will be promptly filled with metal shrapnel of all kinds.

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 08:51:39 PM »
No.    But if you pull up  in my driveway in a humvee without my permission, youll be seen as a threat and will be promptly filled with metal shrapnel of all kinds.

Is your driveway mined?

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 08:54:38 PM »
Is your driveway mined?

practically. :)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 01:30:20 AM »

War-Horse, I hope you're not referring to a hoopty ??? I now know what that is cause w8tlftr explained it to me.  :D
w

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 04:37:58 AM »
War-Horse, I hope you're not referring to a hoopty ??? I now know what that is cause w8tlftr explained it to me.  :D

Hooptie. Any car that meets the following: a) driver must enter car through passenger side b) three different brand and size tires - 3 of them missing hubcap c) exhaust is held up by half a clothes hanger - other half replaces the antenna d) backfires every three blocks - loudest backfire being when car is turned off e) must open door at drive-threws as windows don't roll down f) you only get one AM station and the tape deck eats all tapes inserted g) can't open the glove box as the whole thing will fall out h) if you let go of steering wheel while driving you'll make a u-turn i) must manually move blinker lever up and down as it no longer blinks on it's own j) must keep one foot on brake and one on accelerator when at a complete stop k) has had the same temporary registration sticker in the window for the last 18 months l) has all the above issues but still has a $200 professional tint job

"Hey fool...you gotta have the phattest hooptie in town!"

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 10:22:07 PM »
Hooptie. Any car that meets the following: a) driver must enter car through passenger side b) three different brand and size tires - 3 of them missing hubcap c) exhaust is held up by half a clothes hanger - other half replaces the antenna d) backfires every three blocks - loudest backfire being when car is turned off e) must open door at drive-threws as windows don't roll down f) you only get one AM station and the tape deck eats all tapes inserted g) can't open the glove box as the whole thing will fall out h) if you let go of steering wheel while driving you'll make a u-turn i) must manually move blinker lever up and down as it no longer blinks on it's own j) must keep one foot on brake and one on accelerator when at a complete stop k) has had the same temporary registration sticker in the window for the last 18 months l) has all the above issues but still has a $200 professional tint job

"Hey fool...you gotta have the phattest hooptie in town!"

LOL. thats ghetto.

But no, Ill respond in like manner when someone is a direct threat.  The metal shrapnel will be the remains of any vehicle entering my property with bad intentions.    Plenty of guns and ammo on this site. 8)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 12:33:43 AM »
You can't send your child to war unless they're a minor.  Do they still allow 17-year-olds to join with parental consent?   

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 07:20:33 AM »
You can't send your child to war unless they're a minor.  Do they still allow 17-year-olds to join with parental consent?   

Looks like the king of the semantic douchebags has returned.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2008, 07:32:36 AM »
Looks like the king of the semantic douchebags has returned.

cut him some slack.  Remember his love affair with the old attorney general, who couldn't remember major conversations he'd has THAT WEEK?

Well, the NEW atty general just admitted we knew about 911 before 911, and didn't act.  Beach Bum now has to divert his efforts into defending the whole "they let 911 happen" position. 

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2008, 08:19:04 AM »

You answered the question without knowing it.

No you wouldn't and so the war was not worth fighting in your eyes.

Thanks.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2008, 09:09:16 AM »

You answered the question without knowing it.

No you wouldn't and so the war was not worth fighting in your eyes.

Thanks.

Actually I didn't answer it.  If you're talking about a 17-year-old--assuming they still allow 17-year-olds to join with parental consent--then it would be up to my kid.  If my "child" is 18 or older (i.e., an adult), it would still be up to my kid. 

Serving your country is always an honorable thing to do.  Thank God for the brave men and women willing to risk their lives to allow people like me to sit in an air conditioned office every day.  It’s a huge sacrifice. 

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2008, 10:14:02 PM »
Actually I didn't answer it.  If you're talking about a 17-year-old--assuming they still allow 17-year-olds to join with parental consent--then it would be up to my kid.  If my "child" is 18 or older (i.e., an adult), it would still be up to my kid. 

Serving your country is always an honorable thing to do.  Thank God for the brave men and women willing to risk their lives to allow people like me to sit in an air conditioned office every day.  It’s a huge sacrifice. 

What will you do when you find out this war is based on intentional lies and deceit by the presidency?   4,000 americans dead and it wont mean a thing to you........sickening.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2008, 12:11:40 AM »
Thank God for the brave men and women willing to risk their lives to allow people like me to sit in an air conditioned office every day. 

thats very honest talk here.  you only listed ONE duty they do, so you definitely put preserveing our nice standard of living FIRST.

you didn't talk about 'bringing democracy to the poor iraqis' or 'getting rid of a caveman named osama with 0 kidneys who died in 2002 in egypt'.

You were honest and said you are happy the soldiers do their job because you like teh US standard of living.  I agree with that.  Good call.