Author Topic: Ripitup's Powerlifting Training - USPF Nationals June 28/29 (RESULTS/VIDS p. 11)  (Read 46962 times)

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
You guys made me like powerlifting so much that I don't want to switch back to bodybuilding now!! 
So I am going to try to do both.  8)

Here's what I've got on the agenda:

-USPF Nationals (Powerlifting) June 28/29 --- It's right down the road from me, and there are not enough women competing in powerlifting these days, so I might as well just do it, if for no other reason than to get the competition experience.  OH, and to win my weight class in the bench press.   ;D
It's a combined meet - USPF Bench Nationals, Deadlift Nationals, and Powerlifting Nationals.  I am definitely planning on benching, but I am going to train for the squat and deadlift too and see how things go.  I may decide to do all three events as the time grows nearer, or I may just bench, or I may just bench and deadlift.  Not sure yet.  If I deadlift and/or squat, I will be doing them RAW at this meet...no time to learn how to use any equipment for this one.  I'm just under 12 weeks out.

-North Americans (Bodybuilding) August 30 and NPC Nationals (Bodybuilding) November 22 --- The North Americans is nine weeks after the USPF Nationals.  I am planning on starting my contest prep at 18 weeks out (April 26) with a strict contest diet and 45 minutes of cardio every morning.  I am going to be in a calorie deficit starting April 26, but I am hoping that I won't have to cut my carbs too much or start double cardio sessions until after USPF Nats, once I am inside of 9 weeks out. 

I've been doing some homework, asking alot of questions, and putting together a plan for the next few months.  SO I'm basically going to try to do a BB contest prep with a PL training format and hope to be able to maintain and possibly improve my strength, at least until 9 weeks out from the BB competition.  I've been a little nervous about taking a PL approach to training when it comes to BB contest prep, but I think I've covered all my bases, and I am hoping that the heavier training will do nothing but IMPROVE my physique for bodybuilding as I diet down.  We shall see.

Here's the update on where I am with the powerlifting...

BENCH PRESS - I'm feeling pretty good about my bench press.
Actually, I haven't benched heavy at all in over three weeks.  My shoulder got tweeked at the last bench meet (March 16), so I took two weeks off benching completely, and then just did some very light benching last week.  I'm feeling better now and am gonna try a heavy bench workout later this week (after close to four weeks without heavy weight), but I am not planning on putting the shirt back on until about 6-8 weeks from the meet, which is about 3-4 weeks from now.  I'd be thrilled to be able to bench the same weight again in June (225-235), since I will be in a lighter weight class.

DEADLIFT - I am learning how to deadlift.  Up until the last two weeks, I hadn't deadlifted in like 4 years.   :o
I always do straight leg DLs with my leg workouts, but I am just now getting back into regular deadlifts and learning how to lift sumo as well...I feel like I have some potential with deadlifting, but I'm really in the beginning stages of figuring out how to get the most out of the lift and how to get stronger.  I don't really know what a decent deadlift is for a girl my size, so I am unsure if I will actually compete in the DL, but I'd like to if I can pull off a non-embarassing lift.

SQUAT - Up until about 2 weeks ago, the most weight I have squatted in the last 4 years is about 185 pounds.  Before that, several years ago, I did a few sets with 225 but they weren't real deep.  Similar to deadlifts, I have no idea what a decent raw squat is for a girl my size, and I am not sure what I am capable of at this point, so we're just gonna have to wait and see what happens.  I know I have potential here too, but I need A LOT of training in the squat department.  I'm not terribly optimistic that I will be able to pull off a good squat in less than 12 weeks with all of the cardio I will be doing on top of the diet and workouts.  But I am willing to give it a try, and either way, I need to learn how to squat properly, so there is no time like the present to learn!

SOOOOOOOOO.......

I should be in a lighter weight class for USPF Nats (I expect to be under 132), and I am going to be training for it while doing tons of cardio and dieting strictly.  My biggest challenges are going to be maintaining my strength while dieting, maintaining enough energy to get through the heavy workouts, and muscle recovery (especially on my legs with so much cardio).

My training schedule includes four days of lifting, and I'll log my numbers in this thread.  I will admit now that I am MENTAL when it comes to contest prep, and in the past, I have usually been in the gym 5-6 days a week during prep, so it's going to be very hard for me mentally to cut back to lifting only 4 times a week.  I haven't lifted more than 4 times a week during the off-season, but contest prep is a different ballgame for me, and it will be a BIG challenge to stay out of the gym.  I'm hoping that the workouts will kick my ass so hard that I won't want to go to the gym on my off days!

I'm gonna post my workouts in this thread, as it's very helpful for me to keep track of my numbers, and definitely helpful to get feedback and advice from you guys.  I am especially looking for any tips you guys may have on learning how to squat/deadlift and improve my raw numbers. 

This should be fun.  Thanks a million to those of you who are helping me out with info, advice, etc., and thanks in advance to all of you for any suggestions and tips you provide.  :)

:)

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
Re: Ripitup's Powerlifting Training - USPF Nationals June 28/29
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 01:13:05 PM »
awesome stuff Lori, the most important thing is to not get too caught up in thinking you need all kinds of fancy training techniques right now that will just confuse you, get your form down on the squat and deadlift and just train each lift once a week and get the form down, keep that bar close and rubbing your shins on the dead and make sure you're hitting AT LEAST parallel or a little below on the squat, keep the assistance movements limited to some bent over rows, db rows or good mornings for the deadlift and heavy leg presses for the squat, have somebody help you make sure you're hitting proper depth on your squatting by watching you from the side or maybe even tape yourself squatting, they're Nazis at meets on squat depth.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 08:48:50 PM »
like SF said...sick stuff babydoll! I'm VERY excited for you and know you'll do badass! You going to keep us all ontop on what's going on? I'm hoping to be able to at least go to the nationals... it would be sick to see your tiny ass on teh big stage!

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 04:13:33 AM »
Thanks!  Yeah, the basic plan is to not get too fancy with the squat and deadlift...learn the right form and see what happens. 

wicked, I'd love to see you there....you comin' to RI? ;)  If you do, you have to compete!  From what I've heard, this Nats isn't expected to be a big one, esp not in the girl department.  I guess you never know though. 

SQUATS (Light week - squatted heavy last week)
-bar x 15, 95 x 15
-155 pounds 5 sets x 5
-Leg extensions 90 pounds 4 sets x 15
-Calf raises 4 sets to failure

Squatting deep enough is a whole new experience for me...it's fkn DEEP down there.  :o
My hip flexors burn like crazy on the squats.

I also did 40 minutes of cardio in the AM.

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 05:56:09 AM »
Good luck Rip! How come Beast can squat 315 for 8 deep reps and you are playing around with 225 when you have bigger quads?
E

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 07:10:44 AM »
Good luck Rip! How come Beast can squat 315 for 8 deep reps and you are playing around with 225 when you have bigger quads?

haha I don't know the answer to that.

MAD PROPS to any girl around my size who can get 315 for 8 deep reps...I really don't see how that's possible, but hey, whatever!  :D

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 01:20:30 PM »
i'll be keepin' an eye on this one. good luck in the meet!

cauthon

• Getbig II
  • Craig Killed for you Bitches
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 01:20:58 PM »
You should be fine as long as you squat really deep in training (below depth is better the high). A lot of people squat high is training and then get pinned in a meet when they actually hit depth. Get someone you train with to call your depth in training. Preferable someone who is going to be at your meet so they can call depth at the meet as well. You probably could learn to use a stretchy squat suit like a hardcore or even an original fabric metal as long as it is not crazy tight. But anyway I predict that you will get a lot out a suit when (if?) you start using one from your years of squating high. Thats what happened with me anyway. 

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 01:24:41 PM »
Rip is a legend in this business and many others, she will destroy the heavy iron.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 01:40:47 PM »

haha I don't know the answer to that.

MAD PROPS to any girl around my size who can get 315 for 8 deep reps...I really don't see how that's possible, but hey, whatever!  :D

you also have to remember that if they let you wrap up for the meet, you're probably gonna be able to add 30 to 45 more lbs than what you can do without wraps

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 03:17:02 AM »
I'll post some squatting videos eventually...so we can all check my depth. :) 
thewickedtruth has had a request in for a long time, so I might as well honor it now that I am training squats!

I will use a suit eventually, but I think it's a bit much to try to tackle for this meet, especially with BB contest prep and the fact that I am just learning how to squat.  I think I'm gonna hold off on the suit till next season when I can really go for it.  I've really only got about 10 weeks of training for this meet anyway.

Not sure yet if I will use knee wraps though... you really think it could add that much to my squat?   ???

Last night was some speed work on the bench.

-120 pounds 5 sets x 3
- rotator cuff 3 sets x 15
- side lateral DBs 3 sets x 15

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2008, 09:28:36 AM »
i never liked knee wraps myself. every time i squatted with wraps i tipped over forwards. every damn time.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008, 10:48:11 AM »
awesome stuff Lori, the most important thing is to not get too caught up in thinking you need all kinds of fancy training techniques right now that will just confuse you, get your form down on the squat and deadlift and just train each lift once a week and get the form down, keep that bar close and rubbing your shins on the dead and make sure you're hitting AT LEAST parallel or a little below on the squat, keep the assistance movements limited to some bent over rows, db rows or good mornings for the deadlift and heavy leg presses for the squat, have somebody help you make sure you're hitting proper depth on your squatting by watching you from the side or maybe even tape yourself squatting, they're Nazis at meets on squat depth.

I agree 100%.

If you do try knee wraps start off using them sort of loose and slowly tighten them up week by week until they are very tight. As magoo mentioned, you can lose your form very easily if you jump right into some really tight wraps without any practice with them.

Good luck! i know you will do fantastic!

8)

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2008, 04:13:12 AM »
Thanks... Yeah, we'll see... I'm not planning on wrapping anytime soon.  I'm still trying to get a hang of the basics of squatting correctly, so there's no need to complicate things right now.  It depends on how the next few weeks go.

Last night, I did a HEAVY deadlift workout...very heavy for me!   :P

(I front-loaded my workouts this week, as I don't have a chance to train a couple of days later in this week)

The numbers are a little funky because I was using a combination of pound and kilo plates.

DEADS - Regular stance
177 x 5
199 x 5
221 x 5  8)
221 x 5
199 x 5
199 x 5
199 x 5

RACK DEADS
221 x 3
265 x 3 (holy shit, this was heavy...I barely got it.  I actually didn't even move it the first time I tried, and then I had to kind of regroup and come back at it again LOL)

SUMO DEADS
153 x 3
153 x 3
153 x 3
153 x 3

I feel weak on the sumos... I did one set more than I had planned b/c I was screwing around with the grip.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2008, 08:06:37 AM »
nice pulling! few quick questions, though: is that belted, and did you stop on the floor for each rep?

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2008, 01:12:53 PM »
Good numbers!

As magoo mentioned, always stop the bar on the floor and reset your hips before pulling again...remember "dead" lift, none of this bouncing off the floor stuff. this will help you be more explosive off the floor.

8)

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2008, 05:36:42 PM »
nice pulling! few quick questions, though: is that belted, and did you stop on the floor for each rep?

Good numbers!

As magoo mentioned, always stop the bar on the floor and reset your hips before pulling again...remember "dead" lift, none of this bouncing off the floor stuff. this will help you be more explosive off the floor.

8)

Thanks.  :)

No Belt. 
I'm not sure I would say I necessarily stopped on the floor.  I tapped the floor and I was aware of bouncing it and tried not to. 
I'm having a little bit of trouble hitting the floor evenly on both sides.  I'm also not really dragging my weight along my shins...I think I have the bar too far out in front of me.

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2008, 05:40:56 PM »
I'll post some squatting videos eventually...so we can all check my depth. :) 

Make sure the camera is in the right position.  If you don't have someone to film you, just place it on the floor about 4 feet behind you. 

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2008, 05:52:13 PM »
Make sure the camera is in the right position.  If you don't have someone to film you, just place it on the floor about 4 feet behind you. 

Thanks for the tip!  ::)

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2008, 06:06:43 PM »

Thanks for the tip!  ::)

Just trying to help   ;D

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2008, 06:11:39 AM »

Thanks.  :)

No Belt. 
I'm not sure I would say I necessarily stopped on the floor.  I tapped the floor and I was aware of bouncing it and tried not to. 
I'm having a little bit of trouble hitting the floor evenly on both sides.  I'm also not really dragging my weight along my shins...I think I have the bar too far out in front of me.

sit back on your heals and pull the bar up and against your body. it should slide up your shins and quads as you pull, use your bodyweight to your advantage...don't just pull straight up, pull up and towards your body if that makes any sense...lol

8)

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2008, 10:44:53 AM »
sit back on your heals and pull the bar up and against your body. it should slide up your shins and quads as you pull, use your bodyweight to your advantage...don't just pull straight up, pull up and towards your body if that makes any sense...lol

8)

Makes sense...and do all of that without falling backwards too!

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2008, 04:07:32 PM »

Makes sense...and do all of that without falling backwards too!

there inlies the catch HAHA

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2008, 08:23:48 PM »
I did a heavy bench workout today.  First one in four weeks, I kicked my ass, and it felt pretty damn good.  Shoulder's in good shape right now.  Everything was RAW...no shirt today.

CHAIN WORK --- Chains are 73 pounds total.  Numbers are total weight at the top.
Bar x 15
118 x 10 (chains only on the bar)
178 x 5
188 x 5
193 x 5
193 x 5
178 x 5
178 x 5
173 x 5

BOARD PRESSES - 2 BOARD
185 x 5
190 x 5
190 x 5 (didn't lock out the fifth)

CLOSE GRIPS
120 x 5 (I thought I was gassed out, and this turned out to be way light)
135 x 5
135 x 5 (now I was totally gassed out...didn't get the last one at all)
115 x 5

I also did 50 minutes of cardio earlier today.

I was planning on doing some speed squat work tonight, but I ran out of time.  Gonna do it tomorrow really light, and nothing else but cardio. 

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2008, 09:31:23 PM »

Nos. sound good. How much do you weigh these days?