Author Topic: Ripitup's Powerlifting Training - USPF Nationals June 28/29 (RESULTS/VIDS p. 11)  (Read 47363 times)

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
Re: Ripitup's Powerlifting Training - USPF Nationals June 28/29
« Reply #125 on: May 09, 2008, 10:38:16 AM »
I have a decent bench clip using the chains that I may post up...the angle I set the camera at makes it a bit more of a crotch shot than I originally hoped for, which is why I didn't post it...but after watching Magoo's 225 for reps video, it's actually not as bad as I originally thought.   ;D

hey!  >:(

excellent work, babe.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #126 on: May 09, 2008, 11:55:14 AM »
hey!  >:(

excellent work, babe.

I like looking at your crotch, magoo.  ;)

OK, here's my crotch shot.  Chains are 73 pounds total, so it's somewhere around 208 pounds at the top (a little lighter cuz some is still on the ground...I adjusted the chains after I saw this). 

:)

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #127 on: May 09, 2008, 12:32:22 PM »
dizzamn.

you could put a hell of a lot more weight on there.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #128 on: May 09, 2008, 05:15:37 PM »
That arch is ridiculous!!! :o

I think that all female lifting vids should be shot from such a vantage point. ;D

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #129 on: May 09, 2008, 08:09:25 PM »
rip is a powerful woman that cracks walnuts between her knees

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #130 on: May 09, 2008, 10:04:36 PM »
The talking on the speaker I would find very distracting.
Them are big chains

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #131 on: May 10, 2008, 12:57:44 AM »
That arch is ridiculous!!! :o

I think that all female lifting vids should be shot from such a vantage point. ;D

oh sure. when RIP does it, you say that. when it's ME, you say i need longer pants.  >:(

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #132 on: May 12, 2008, 04:35:29 AM »
Squats yesterday.  Sorry guys, no squat vids yet.  ;D

It was supposed to be a real heavy workout, but I trained alone, so I only did what I was comfortable with by myself.  I have no idea how anyone trains for PL meets by themselves.  I also forgot my belt at home.  ::)

SQUATS
warmup - bar x 15, 95 x 12
145 x 5
165 x 5
185 x 5
195 x 3 - I chickened out of the last two cuz this was heavy!
175 x 5
175 x 5
165 x 5

I wanted to do negatives, but I couldn't do them by myself, and I'm not about to ask some random jackass in my gym to help me on those.

I also did a bunch of calf work (5 sets, heavy), and two sets of ab crunches but my abs were still sore from the other day.

Then 45 mins on the elliptical.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #133 on: May 12, 2008, 09:43:14 AM »
Here's some good news for me about USPF Nationals. 

Lifters,
I just want to clarify a few things regarding qualifying totals and contest for this years Nationals. THERE ARE NO QUALIFYING TOTALS OR CONTEST QUALIFIERS REQUIRED TO COMPETE IN THE USPF NATIONALS, PERIOD. I have received numerous e-mails from concerned lifter wanting to know what contest they would have to lift in or if a total from another contest would qualify them to lift in the Nationals. Neither of them is required. If you have USPF experience, that would be helpful. If you do not have USPF experience, than please just formularize yourself with the USPF rules before entering the Nationals. If you wish to compete, just send your entry in before the May 31, 2008 deadline and you will be all set. I hope that clarifies things for everyone regarding this matter. I just do no want someone not competing at the Nationals because they are confused about this matter.

The bad news is that I have to decide which events I am going to do and register for the meet(s) no later than May 31 (PL Nats, Bench Nats, and DL Nats all in one).  The bench is a definite, but at some point in the next couple of weeks, I need to decide whether or not I am going to go through with a squat and a deadlift. 

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #134 on: May 12, 2008, 11:55:30 AM »
I would say to do push/pull if its an option, Rip. You have no squat suit and a DL suit doesnt add much. You seem to have a strong DL too, so go for it!

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #135 on: May 13, 2008, 05:19:04 AM »
I would say to do push/pull if its an option, Rip. You have no squat suit and a DL suit doesnt add much. You seem to have a strong DL too, so go for it!

Pretty much any combination is an option.  I'm gonna train for all three and decide at the last minute...there are so few women competing that I think I may regret it if I don't show up and do all three events, if for no other reason than the experience, which I need. 

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #136 on: May 13, 2008, 05:53:49 AM »
Last night, I did a bench shirt workout.  It was a little early in the week (my last shirt workout was last Weds.), but I had to take advantage of having my husband there with me and just get in the shirt and get it done.  I am going out of town later this week.

BENCH
warmup - bar x 15, 95 x 12, 135 x 5
Shirt on --- Air turns on all the reps.  I got real close to touching on a couple of the last sets, but still an inch or two away.
205 x 2
225 x 2
235 x 1
245 x 1
245 x 1
225 x 2

Both attempts at 245 were rough.  I struggled with the weight, so much on the first attempt that my entire lower back cramped up.  Neither was really good.  The last set - 225 x 2 - was really good, and both reps were close to touching. 

RAW BOARD PRESSES - 3 BOARD
225 x 3/3 sets
These were fun.  225 pounds feels alot different when you take the shirt off.  I was a little squirrelly on the first set because I wasn't used to the weight, but the third set was really solid.  All in all, I'm getting alot more comfortable with 225 pounds.

45 minutes on the bike yesterday morning as well.

50 minutes of cardio this morning.  I am motivated to get outside and do some sprints and plyo work today, but I plan on deadlifting tomorrow, so I don't think that's gonna work.  I may do a long, much needed ab workout tonight instead.

Michaeloz

• Getbig II
« Reply #137 on: May 13, 2008, 03:20:08 PM »
Hi Rip, Just like to ask if you do cardio everyday?  I enjoy reading your journal, and must say this board has imspired me to take my training in a powerlifting direction.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #138 on: May 14, 2008, 03:33:37 AM »
Hi Rip, Just like to ask if you do cardio everyday?  I enjoy reading your journal, and must say this board has imspired me to take my training in a powerlifting direction.

I'm doing cardio every day now because I am prepping for the North Americans (bodybuilding) at the same time as I am training for this PL meet.  The NAs is in 15 weeks, so cardio is a necessity.  If I were ONLY training for the PL meet right noW, I would only do enough cardio To make myself feel healthy...maybe like 3 times a week instead of every day. 
I hate doing cardio...almost as much as I hate abs.   :P

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #139 on: May 14, 2008, 01:55:39 PM »
I hate doing cardio...almost as much as I hate abs.   :P

now you're thinkin' like a TRUE powerlifter!  ;D

Michaeloz

• Getbig II
« Reply #140 on: May 14, 2008, 02:54:42 PM »
Thanks Rip.  I hate cardio also, but need it to keep my weight in check.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #141 on: May 15, 2008, 04:15:16 AM »
Last night was a moderate deadlift night.  It was one of the first workouts where I really felt the impacts of dieting.  I had a pretty bad headache all day and totally dragged ass into the gym.  I was hungry, very low in energy, and not feeling well.  Deadlifts are a bitch with a headache...they make your head pound.  I also have a mildly sore left elbow, which bothered me overnight.

DEADS
warmup - bar x 15, 95 x 12, 135 x 6
165 x 5
185 x 5
205 x 5 - this one wasn't too pretty, so I did this set again
205 x 5
185 x 5/3 sets

SUMOS - for practice more than anything else
165 x 3/2 sets
175 x 3/2 sets

SLDL
105 x 5/4 sets

Finished off with 4 sets of wide-grip lat pulldowns. 
45 minutes on the bike yesterday morning as well.

I'm off to Charleston for the weekend to help The BEAST make her way through the Jr USAs.  I'm going to try to get a squat workout in sometime tomorrow.  And rest assured that I'll be getting cardio done every day.  ::)

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #142 on: May 15, 2008, 11:11:44 AM »
i'm assuming you've decided on pulling conventional at the meet? i'd thought you were going sumo, but it looks like all your training is centered on conventional.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #143 on: May 15, 2008, 09:46:48 PM »
i'm assuming you've decided on pulling conventional at the meet? i'd thought you were going sumo, but it looks like all your training is centered on conventional.

That's a good question.  I'm not sure.   ;D

Right now, I feel stronger with the conventional.  I've been doing conventional to build my back strength up....and I'm doing sumos mostly to learn how to do them, get the timing right, etc.  I can see how sumos would be the way to go with a squat suit on, but I'm going raw for this meet.
I guess we'll wait and see what happens in the next 6 weeks.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #144 on: May 16, 2008, 11:24:06 AM »
I'm in Charleston at the Jr USAs until Sunday night.  Weight training isn't looking like it's gonna happen.  I cannot find anyone who can give me a ride to/from a gym or let me borrow a car.  Everyone took shuttles here from the airport.  Looks like I am going to miss a squat workout and be a cardio queen this weekend.  ::)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #145 on: May 16, 2008, 11:57:44 AM »
haha

GET TO MAKING MORE VIDS!

... and keep pulling conventional!  :P

BuffGoddess

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
  • Failure is not an option, train hard, get big.
« Reply #146 on: May 17, 2008, 07:16:53 PM »
Maybe I'll see you there girl! I'm doing powerlifting myself this year. Got tired of all the bullsh*t that went along with bodybuilding.I'll be at the USPF meet in Venice Beach June 14th...alot of cool stuff will be going on there, I have a couple af longstanding records to break, and believe me, they are going DOWN!!!! Steve Denison (USPF, Cali) is a longtime friend. He has really encouraged me and been very supportive. You couldn't ask for a nicer guy or a better meet director. Powerlifting ROCKS! And for the guys who are going to ask: all of my lifts are over 300...yes bench too...

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #147 on: May 18, 2008, 11:15:13 AM »
Maybe I'll see you there girl! I'm doing powerlifting myself this year. Got tired of all the bullsh*t that went along with bodybuilding.I'll be at the USPF meet in Venice Beach June 14th...alot of cool stuff will be going on there, I have a couple af longstanding records to break, and believe me, they are going DOWN!!!! Steve Denison (USPF, Cali) is a longtime friend. He has really encouraged me and been very supportive. You couldn't ask for a nicer guy or a better meet director. Powerlifting ROCKS! And for the guys who are going to ask: all of my lifts are over 300...yes bench too...

Good thinking BG, that saved us a lot of questions!
E

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #148 on: May 20, 2008, 04:30:28 AM »
I finally made it back to the gym last night after four days out of town.  I did tons of cardio while I was gone and stuck to my diet.  I was feeling the pain of the diet again last night.  This past week, I lost 4 pounds, which is quite a bit for me.  I have those weeks from time to time when I'm dieting.  I'm down a little over 10 pounds since the bench meet on March 16.

Last night was light squats, although they felt much heavier than I hoped.  I did 20 minutes of cardio BEFORE I lifted, which didn't help.  My calves were super sore from the cardio and from walking around all weekend in a pair of high-heeled boots. 

SQUATS
warmup - bar x 15, 95 x 15
145 x 5
165 x 5/4 sets
145 x 5

I also did some ancillary stuff.  I'm hoping to do another squat workout later this weekend, so I didn't want to push it. 

48 minutes of cardio this morning.  I am going to try to get into the bench shirt tonight but keep it light.  Last night, I had a sudden itch in the middle of my back, and I reached back to scratch it with my left arm, and I hurt my shoulder.  ::)

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #149 on: May 20, 2008, 09:20:51 AM »
Last night, I had a sudden itch in the middle of my back, and I reached back to scratch it with my left arm, and I hurt my shoulder.  ::)

This kind of stuff happens to me when I stick to the powerlifts only. Heavy bench really limits my range of motion on anything involving shoulders.