Author Topic: Pro BBing... During, and after, the DeMilia era  (Read 5347 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Pro BBing... During, and after, the DeMilia era
« on: April 09, 2008, 07:17:15 AM »
When Wayne left so did a shitload of shows and Money. Check how many IFBB Pro shows back in 2003 2004 and look at the prize money.Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ::)

Someone posted this today and it got me thinking... for all the praise, and all the disses, that Wayne DeMilia has endured... was the prize money better, and were there more shows each year, when Wayne DeMilia was running them?

This is in no way a PDI discussion... simple, comparing the 5 years before he left, and the 5 years since he's left.

There are 11 IFBB pro shows this year, and 3 have been cancelled.  I am certainly not a BBing historian so I have no clue if it's always been this way, or if there used to be 15-20 shows each year, with a smaller % being cancelled (27% of the shows have been cancelled this year)

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Pro BBing... During, and after, the DeMilia era
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 07:20:39 AM »
Someone posted this today and it got me thinking... for all the praise, and all the disses, that Wayne DeMilia has endured... was the prize money better, and were there more shows each year, when Wayne DeMilia was running them?

This is in no way a PDI discussion... simple, comparing the 5 years before he left, and the 5 years since he's left.

There are 11 IFBB pro shows this year, and 3 have been cancelled.  I am certainly not a BBing historian so I have no clue if it's always been this way, or if there used to be 15-20 shows each year, with a smaller % being cancelled (27% of the shows have been cancelled this year)

Wayne was under appreciated when he was with the IFBB.  Its only now that the Weeedahs and Mannion are realizing what an integral part of the team he was.

Trev

• Getbig IV
  • Bodybuilding The Old School Way - Train, Eat, Rest
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 07:39:42 AM »

there used to be approx 8-10 Grand prix's after the Olympia the first 2-3 years!!!! How can the pro's try and make a living from just 11 shows in a year?!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 07:42:44 AM »
I was hoping a tim fogarty or someone like that could put real numbers to it.  Take the emotion our of it and make it clean numbers.

MB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 08:36:54 AM »
The last 5 full years under Demilia ('99-'03) there were: 7, 8, 10, 12, & 10 shows.  The years of having 5-7 Grand Prix shows after the Olympia had already ended, however there were still at least 2 shows each year in Europe.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 08:48:38 AM »
The number of shows is about the same...it fluctuates a show or two, as promoters  (and shows) come and go...Santa Susanna, Charlotte pro, Florida pro, etc all came and went...Houston Pro, Tampa Pro, Europa Pro, 3 G.P. shows in europe currently being looked at to add...

The amount of shows will always fall into the same range, as the amount of support from sponsors and fans will only sustain that amount. I don't think adding more shows is the answer, I think making the shows we have BETTER is more advantageous to the fed, fans, and BBers.

Trev

• Getbig IV
  • Bodybuilding The Old School Way - Train, Eat, Rest
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 09:16:35 AM »
The number of shows is about the same...it fluctuates a show or two, as promoters  (and shows) come and go...Santa Susanna, Charlotte pro, Florida pro, etc all came and went...Houston Pro, Tampa Pro, Europa Pro, 3 G.P. shows in europe currently being looked at to add...

The amount of shows will always fall into the same range, as the amount of support from sponsors and fans will only sustain that amount. I don't think adding more shows is the answer, I think making the shows we have BETTER is more advantageous to the fed, fans, and BBers.
Probably time to go back to weight divisions and awards within the show (best poser/most muscular etc) so not just the drugged up superfreaks make all the money.

MB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 09:49:08 AM »
I think making the shows we have BETTER is more advantageous to the fed, fans, and BBers.

As Tim Fogarty mentioned in another thread, making everyone except the Olympia champion requalify each year is not a bad idea.  Having the shows be invitation only like the Arnold may also help.  Limit the field to 15 guys and keep the caliber of the line-up high.  Just because you turn pro doesn't mean you're "pro caliber".   

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 09:52:11 AM »

in 1995 there were 15 pro shows, in 2005 there were 9.   This year there will be 10, assuming no others are canceled.

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 09:54:25 AM »
As Tim Fogarty mentioned in another thread, making everyone except the Olympia champion requalify each year is not a bad idea.

more than that:  have only the winners of that year's shows qualify.    the way it is now, come in 5th in February, and you don't have to compete again until the Olympia in October.

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 09:57:13 AM »
in 1995 there were 15 pro shows, in 2005 there were 9.   This year there will be 10, assuming no others are canceled.

as the number of pro shows goes down maybe the number of "private shows" goes up?  :-\

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2008, 09:57:39 AM »
in 1995 there were 15 pro shows, in 2005 there were 9.   This year there will be 10, assuming no others are canceled.

In 1995, there were 6 Grand Prix contests after the Olympia (if I recall right). Take those out, same amount of contests.

Each era has its own challenges. In 1995, there were a lot less supplement companies and a lot less expos too. Even at the Olympia and Arnold, there were only a few booths (20 or so). The expo has changed a lot, to the better, giving many competitors and other people associated with the industry a place to congregate, meet and much more.

Each era is quite different too. You didnt have the age of the internet where any show can be broadcast live, pictures up in minutes, and more. It is hard to compare.

McFarland

• Getbig V
  • Tastes Like WINNING
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008, 09:58:21 AM »
Wayne The IFBB was under appreciated when he wasthey were with the IFBB Wayne.  Its only now that the Weeedahs and Mannion are Wayne is realizing what an integral a necessary part of the team he was they were.

Ha ha fixed.   ;D

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2008, 10:04:16 AM »
Ha ha fixed.   ;D

lol...all a matter of perspective, I guess

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2008, 10:06:57 AM »
In 1995, there were 6 Grand Prix contests after the Olympia (if I recall right). Take those out, same amount of contests.

why take those out?  they're sources of prize money for contestants, shows for fans to see.

Each era has its own challenges. In 1995, there were a lot less supplement companies and a lot less expos too. Even at the Olympia and Arnold, there were only a few booths (20 or so). The expo has changed a lot, to the better, giving many competitors and other people associated with the industry a place to congregate, meet and much more.

expos have changed things for the better ? ? ?   I'm not interested in socializing.  I want to see a competition.

smaller shows should forget the expos completely.  just put on a damn show, advertised locally.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2008, 10:09:57 AM »
why take those out?  they're sources of prize money for contestants, shows for fans to see.

expos have changed things for the better ? ? ?   I'm not interested in socializing.  I want to see a competition.

smaller shows should forget the expos completely.  just put on a damn show, advertised locally.

Because GP show fluctuate bigtime...just as there are 3 more to likly be added to the schedule, following the Olympia...

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2008, 10:11:11 AM »
just as there are 3 more to likly be added to the schedule, following the Olympia...

yeah, that was said last year too

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2008, 10:14:11 AM »
yeah, that was said last year too

Hey, it's not easy getting GP shows to work in Europe (or the states for that matter)....if they were successful, they'd all be going into their 14th seasons, etc...

There is a reason they dissappear...

McFarland

• Getbig V
  • Tastes Like WINNING
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2008, 10:36:09 AM »
lol...all a matter of perspective, I guess

No I see your point though; it's a shame that the whole thing fell apart like it did.  The NOC was an awesome show and always one to look forward to.  Wayne was second to none when it came to putting that together and that show had some awesome winners over the years.  Remember how Dorian used to use that show as a springboard into his first Olympia's and would make so much improvement?  Now the NY Pro just has a very generic feel...it's just not the same...no character to that show for me.   

donrhummy

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2008, 11:54:24 AM »
From what I can tell there were 13 Pro shows in 2003: http://www.musclememory.com/show.php?y=2003
so not much change. Since 1995 though? Huge change.

Again, assuming this info is complete, in 1985 there were only two pro shows! http://www.musclememory.com/show.php?y=1985 And just three years later, there were 13: http://www.musclememory.com/show.php?y=1988

So what happened between 1985 and 1988?

sgt. d

• Getbig V
  • Don't tase me bro
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2008, 12:08:50 PM »

Is that the only thing you want to see? :-X

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2008, 03:05:13 PM »
Hey, it's not easy getting GP shows to work in Europe (or the states for that matter)....if they were successful, they'd all be going into their 14th seasons, etc...

There is a reason they dissappear...

...because the bodybuilders competing are bloated, chemically-enhanced behemoths that no common joe bodybuilder would want to emulate and that aren't of interest to the general public.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2008, 03:54:35 PM »
More supplement companies equals less shows?  ???

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2008, 04:01:00 PM »
...because the bodybuilders competing are bloated, chemically-enhanced behemoths that no common joe bodybuilder would want to emulate and that aren't of interest to the general public.
speak for yourself! :)

i would LOVE to look like this

in fact, id give up the last 20 years of my life if i could achieve this kind of physique

OR this one

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2008, 04:14:49 PM »
More supplement companies equals less shows?  ???

I noticed that too... more companies, more competition, more money needed to spend on ads.  When there are only 5 companies, it's easier to differentiate.  PLus with the web making prices lower and lower and the ability to customers to find lower prices easily (and for word of good prices to travel) and with BBing.com and a few others pwning most on price using economies of scale... profit margins have been sliced.