Author Topic: Bush has 'exit strategy' only for himself  (Read 790 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Bush has 'exit strategy' only for himself
« on: April 10, 2008, 03:25:56 PM »
Congressional Democrats pushed back hard Thursday against President Bush’s speech on Iraq, accusing him of delaying further troop withdrawals so that he can hand off the conflict to the next president.

Democrats welcomed Bush’s call to reduce troop deployments from 15 months to 12 months, but they said he should go further and embrace a proposal by Sen. Jim Webb (D-Va.) under which soldiers would spend at least a year at home before they could be called back to active duty in Iraq.

Webb’s deployment proposal came up three votes short last year, and many Democrats have discussed reviving the issue when Congress takes up the latest war supplemental in the coming weeks.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) called Bush’s deployment plan “one step forward and two steps back.”

On the one hand, Reid said,  “The administration is finally heeding the call of congressional Democrats and military leaders to decrease troop deployments to 12 months." On the other hand, he said that Bush’s support for Gen. David Petraeus’ plan to pause troop withdrawals “has signaled to the American people that he has no intention of bringing home any more troops.”

"Instead, Reid said, “he is leaving all the tough decisions to the next administration. President Bush has an exit strategy for only one man – himself on January 20, 2009.”
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) struck a similar note.

“We need better answers from the president,” said Pelosi. “He is just dragging this out to put it at the doorstep of the next president.”

Both Pelosi and Reid warned that the war has stretched the U.S. military dangerously thin and has distracted the United States from targeting Al Qaeda in Pakistan.

The leaders were joined at the press conference by several soldiers who had served in Iraq as well as other veterans’ advocates. “The bottom line is we are effectively out of troops,” said Bobby Mueller, the president of Veterans for America. “It is just staggering how we have devastated our front-line units.”

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
  • thank you Ron & Getbig, I've had so much fun
Re: Bush has 'exit strategy' only for himself
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 03:41:09 PM »
Can't wait, I'm so looking forward to that...

I've been unable to keep up with US Presidents' exit strategies.  Didn't the last one say I didn't have sex with that woman, then all of a sudden we've got his wife running?

Weren't the Bushes always in charge?  (After they killed the Kennedys?

Wasn't Nixon impeached?

Name a decent US President

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 03:55:23 PM »
Linda,

Yes, our country isn't perfect.

But 1) we're not being overrun with muslim extremism here, and 2) we still have our guns.

Part of our tradition is bitching about our leaders while conceding they still pwn yours :)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 03:56:58 PM »

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 04:00:43 PM »
uh huh

w8m8

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 04:07:48 PM »
We also don't worship some old bat with stiff knickers

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 04:08:49 PM »
Linda,

Yes, our country isn't perfect.

But 1) we're not being overrun with muslim extremism here, and 2) we still have our guns.

Part of our tradition is bitching about our leaders while conceding they still pwn yours :)

What tradition ?  You have very few.  (Any you have, we gave to you and you modified them.

1) overrun by extremism:  we all watched 9/11
2)

ps:  I'm one of the minority, I love America,

I'm just telling it like it is.

Thatcher + Blair = both kicked out after they did their full time.  But they were proper leaders and your lot are a bunch of money grabbing ___________'s

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 10:44:11 PM »

Name a decent US President

Teddy Roosevelt

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 07:27:01 AM »
If memory serves me right, the democrats were recently voted into the two chambers in order to get the troops outta Iraq. Have they done that? Nope. Do they intend on doing that? Not if the Democratic party does not want to.