Author Topic: Debunking the Dominance Myth  (Read 5269 times)

temper35

• Getbig III
Re: Debunking the Dominance Myth
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2008, 03:39:22 PM »
In my experiences working at humane societies as a kennel aid, as an adoption counselor, as a veterinarian, working as a veterinarian, and working with rescues all over North America, the number one problem with most "problem" pets is the owners.   I know for a fact that some dogs will do much better--less aggression, less anxiety, better "manners"  if they could just get different owners.  Owners are the root of most evils in all pets in my opinion---not just dogs, but also birds and cats.   

Sometimes its an exercise on how long it'll take a person to fuck an animal up. 

Do you think that some kind of legislature could ever be enforced that would place control on pet buyers, meaning they enter into some sort of contract that binds them into performing certain obligations and essentially forcing them into being responsible owners.  It'd also be a way to dissuade people from buying dogs when they know they can't meet the necessary requirements?  I realize this would be a monumental effort, but do you think anything can be done?

In addition, do you ever think they could make spay/neuters mandatory for any dog that isn't going to be for show/breeding/working purposes?

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
Re: Debunking the Dominance Myth
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2008, 11:42:43 PM »
Do you think that some kind of legislature could ever be enforced that would place control on pet buyers, meaning they enter into some sort of contract that binds them into performing certain obligations and essentially forcing them into being responsible owners.  It'd also be a way to dissuade people from buying dogs when they know they can't meet the necessary requirements?  I realize this would be a monumental effort, but do you think anything can be done?

This will never happen.  Look at the members of this forum and the opinions they each have.  The problem is everyone is an expert and everyone is right when you are dealing with an issue like this.  Either that or they use an outside consultant, who is then misinterpreted and everything ends up totally fucked up.  There will always be someone who refuses to take esponsibility for what they themselves did---ALWAYS. 

In addition, do you ever think they could make spay/neuters mandatory for any dog that isn't going to be for show/breeding/working purposes?
  I can see this happening, especially in the advent of disease outbreak---for example if avian influenza every hits the US, I feel for all of the stray cats out there.  It will be a slaughter in some areas.   I have no doubt about it after having dealt with the monkey pox outbreak and the hamster disease issues there.  The government will order death first as  ameans of "saving lives" and there will be little questioning it.  This will also lead to mandatory spaying and neutering, I have  no doubt about that.