Author Topic: The Tax Me More Act  (Read 1770 times)

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
The Tax Me More Act
« on: April 11, 2008, 11:03:09 AM »
The Tax Me More Act

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120787129943306485.html?mod=googlenews_wsj
April 11, 2008

We recently suggested that if Bill and Hillary Clinton are eager to pay more taxes, they should write a personal check to the U.S. Treasury to compensate for the lower tax rates they so frequently decry. And lo, here comes legislation to make it easier for the former first lady and other pseudo-populists to do just that.

California Republican John Campbell yesterday introduced in the House his "Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is Act," which would amend the tax code to allow individuals to make voluntary donations to the federal government above their normal tax liability. The bill would place a new line on IRS tax forms to make this easy.

Mr. Campbell says he has heard the "cries" of those wealthy Americans – Mrs. Clinton, Warren Buffett, Barbra Streisand – who reject the lower tax rates passed in 2001 and 2003 and complain that they and their fellow rich don't pay enough. "It's a great injustice that citizens wishing to fulfill their dream of paying more taxes cannot simply check a box on their 1040 form to make a donation," he says. His bill would give liberals a chance to salve their consciences without having to raise taxes on millions of Americans who already feel overtaxed as it is.

Still, don't expect many to take Mr. Campbell up on his offer. The Treasury already accepts voluntary donations to decrease the nation's debt; last year it received all of $2.6 million. Apparently even most liberals would rather keep their money, or bequeath their estates to charity rather than to the IRS.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
Re: The Tax Me More Act
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 11:05:39 AM »

The problem with the IRS is that it exists in the first place. 

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 11:07:21 AM »

::) ::)

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 11:47:45 AM »
The wall street journal editorial page is stocked with cranks, i.e., supply-side nuts.

These guys are such BSers about taxes in the first place that anything they say about tax rates should be dismissed outright.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 01:14:25 PM »
The problem with the IRS is that it exists in the first place. 

Here we go again with Mr "I don't want any taxes but I still want a big army, a good educational system and great infrastructure". ::)

Economics, in my world at least, works like this:

Income and costs are always balanced with each other.

If you want to increase the costs (spendings for eg the military or for infrastructure -that means eg highways), you need to INCREASE the income as well.

Eg, the tax.

Instead of bitching about taxes, present a solution.

And a solution is not to keep all the costs while removing all the income (no tax).

How are you gonna pay for all the expenses then?
As empty as paradise

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 02:12:16 PM »
"The problem with the IRS is that it exists in the first place". 

Exactly Tre!

Sounds reasonable, people who want to give more to the government should be encouraged to make donations.  People should also be encouraged to give to noble causes and charities.  The key is to keep it voluntary.  The wealthy already pay a lot of taxes but make it easier for them to donate more.
Most people feel good when they give...but certainly not when its taken from them.+

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 02:34:16 PM »
Here we go again with Mr "I don't want any taxes but I still want a big army, a good educational system and great infrastructure". ::)

Economics, in my world at least, works like this:

Income and costs are always balanced with each other.

If you want to increase the costs (spendings for eg the military or for infrastructure -that means eg highways), you need to INCREASE the income as well.

Eg, the tax.

Instead of bitching about taxes, present a solution.

And a solution is not to keep all the costs while removing all the income (no tax).

How are you gonna pay for all the expenses then?

Why does the United States need a "big" army, Hedge? I'm tired of us playing Team America: World Police (fvck yeah!). I think it's long overdue for other countries to step up and defend themselves. That doesn't mean we don't help our allies but I'm getting tired, as a tax payer, of footing the bill protecting everyone else.

We spend more on education in this country than, I think, every  country on this planet and our children are rocks with lips. Throwing more money at it isn't working.

Here's my solution: A thorough study of the Fair Tax Act or implementation of the Flat Tax (with ZERO deductions).

Our government spends and spends and spends leaving the American tax payer in debt for generations. Something dramatic needs to happen.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 02:37:59 PM »
Here's the problem....we don't have a big Army...we're doing this shit with smoke and mirrors. There is so much to cut before we get to the military.
L

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 03:07:52 PM »
Here's the problem....we don't have a big Army...we're doing this shit with smoke and mirrors. There is so much to cut before we get to the military.

True.

I was just using Zack's term.

I was active duty during the whole "more with less" BS.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 03:34:04 PM »
Yeah...its worse now. There were guys leaving Kuwait and Saudi after Desert Storm who saw miles of Humvees and tanks,trucks, helicopters, just parked in the desert. That was the end of the big army. I can't imagine that military with our toys, now. We could have just parked in Iraq and done the job.
L

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008, 06:37:50 PM »
Hhahaha    Thats a good one.     Ill bet they dont check the box..

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2008, 12:22:50 AM »

Wrong.

You could not be more wrong.

The Military is the biggest cost in the budget.

USA have a military that is using up more than a third of each tax dollar.

How is that NOT a big Military?

BTW, why you're mixing up the terms Army and Military? It's not the same thing.
As empty as paradise

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2008, 07:22:45 AM »
Wrong.

You could not be more wrong.

The Military is the biggest cost in the budget.

USA have a military that is using up more than a third of each tax dollar.

How is that NOT a big Military?

BTW, why you're mixing up the terms Army and Military? It's not the same thing.

The U.S. military is big, Zack, but it's nothing compared to what it was during the Cold War era.

As long as we're forced to play Team America: World Police (fvck yeah!) it will continue to be much larger than it should be. It's time for other countries to step to the plate and do their part. We have unsecure borders and a 9 TRILLION DOLLAR FVCKING DEBT. I think all those trillions of dollars could be better put to use here.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2008, 07:26:20 AM »
look at the numbers.  What's the military's total bill?  It was 400bil a year BEFORE 9/11.  Methinks its gone up since.

But, 10% of poor states population on welfare is expensive too.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2008, 08:06:45 AM »
The U.S. military is big, Zack, but it's nothing compared to what it was during the Cold War era.

As long as we're forced to play Team America: World Police (fvck yeah!) it will continue to be much larger than it should be. It's time for other countries to step to the plate and do their part. We have unsecure borders and a 9 TRILLION DOLLAR FVCKING DEBT. I think all those trillions of dollars could be better put to use here.

I think you're on to something.

Cut the funding to the military by half over the next 5 years.

The military will still be a huge cost, at close to 20% of the budget.

And that's not counting the Iraq war expenses.

But it will free up a lot of the economical resources that currently are doing nothing but feeding a huge Military.

That money could be used to take care of the the national debt.

Ask anyone with a degree in economics. They will tell you what is currently the biggest expenses for USA.

As empty as paradise

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2008, 09:44:37 AM »
I think you're on to something.

Cut the funding to the military by half over the next 5 years.

The military will still be a huge cost, at close to 20% of the budget.

And that's not counting the Iraq war expenses.

But it will free up a lot of the economical resources that currently are doing nothing but feeding a huge Military.

That money could be used to take care of the the national debt.

Ask anyone with a degree in economics. They will tell you what is currently the biggest expenses for USA.

You don't need a degree in economics to read - it's public information. The budgeted biggest expense for the United States is Social Security (DoD is $481.4 billion). However, when you take the appropriations for the war in Iraq and Durkadurakstan into consideration it easily exceeds the budget for SS.

Think of how much money we'd save if other countries stepped up and did their part.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2008, 09:51:02 AM »
Think of how much money we'd save if other countries stepped up and did their part.

Which of the candidates do you think is most likely to scale down on the military expenses?
As empty as paradise

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2008, 09:58:38 AM »
Which of the candidates do you think is most likely to scale down on the military expenses?

Ron Paul. But the GOP black balled him.

I guess they don't care for the truth.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2008, 10:17:50 AM »
The Tax Me More Act

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120787129943306485.html?mod=googlenews_wsj
April 11, 2008

We recently suggested that if Bill and Hillary Clinton are eager to pay more taxes, they should write a personal check to the U.S. Treasury to compensate for the lower tax rates they so frequently decry. And lo, here comes legislation to make it easier for the former first lady and other pseudo-populists to do just that.

California Republican John Campbell yesterday introduced in the House his "Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is Act," which would amend the tax code to allow individuals to make voluntary donations to the federal government above their normal tax liability. The bill would place a new line on IRS tax forms to make this easy.

Mr. Campbell says he has heard the "cries" of those wealthy Americans – Mrs. Clinton, Warren Buffett, Barbra Streisand – who reject the lower tax rates passed in 2001 and 2003 and complain that they and their fellow rich don't pay enough. "It's a great injustice that citizens wishing to fulfill their dream of paying more taxes cannot simply check a box on their 1040 form to make a donation," he says. His bill would give liberals a chance to salve their consciences without having to raise taxes on millions of Americans who already feel overtaxed as it is.

Still, don't expect many to take Mr. Campbell up on his offer. The Treasury already accepts voluntary donations to decrease the nation's debt; last year it received all of $2.6 million. Apparently even most liberals would rather keep their money, or bequeath their estates to charity rather than to the IRS.

lol.  Nice.   :)