Author Topic: looking at briefs for squatting...  (Read 11199 times)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
looking at briefs for squatting...
« on: April 11, 2008, 02:46:38 PM »
I'm looking into getting a pair of single ply briefs to start squatting heavier numbers in to get used to supporting heavier shit. I've got a few questions though in regards to the said briefs...first... what do you think of these?

http://www.inzernet.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=GROOVE

second...how much benefit will my RAW squat get out of using these from time to time?  I'm still right at 600 or a little above it for a HARD single and wnat to start working past that once my elbow starts feeling better. How exactly do these work? They spring you out of the bottom? Kinda like a bench shirt but for your ass? How much increase in squat numbers am I looking at here? Sorry for my ignorance...

I'd love any and all advice..this is as much GEAR as i'm ever going to use and have been debating on getting them for a long time.

Geo

• Getbig IV
Re: looking at briefs for squatting...
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 03:33:15 PM »
I'm looking into getting a pair of single ply briefs to start squatting heavier numbers in to get used to supporting heavier shit. I've got a few questions though in regards to the said briefs...first... what do you think of these?

second...how much benefit will my RAW squat get out of using these from time to time?  I'm still right at 600 or a little above it for a HARD single and wnat to start working past that once my elbow starts feeling better. How exactly do these work? They spring you out of the bottom? Kinda like a bench shirt but for your ass? How much increase in squat numbers am I looking at here? Sorry for my ignorance...

I'd love any and all advice..this is as much GEAR as i'm ever going to use and have been debating on getting them for a long time.

if you buy those gloves that's on that page and I'm gonna kick your ass !

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 03:51:29 PM »
lol

and i probably deserve it huh...

nasht5

• Getbig IV
  • 903 squat 457bench 735 dead - "RAW" (belt & wraps)
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 03:59:15 PM »
those briefs have no legs, your not gonna get much carryover with them. they will help support your hips and i guess that ain't all bad. IMHO, gear don't help raw lifts. If you want stronger spinal erectors then don't wear a belt. if you want stronger hips to help you squat more then don't wear briefs. Just my .02 cents and that may be all it's worth.
sept 10th APF

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 04:06:59 PM »
those briefs have no legs, your not gonna get much carryover with them. they will help support your hips and i guess that ain't all bad. IMHO, gear don't help raw lifts. If you want stronger spinal erectors then don't wear a belt. if you want stronger hips to help you squat more then don't wear briefs. Just my .02 cents and that may be all it's worth.

yeah i hardly ever put a belt on for that reason and am doing alot of box squatting for my hips, etc. I'm just looking for something to help me handle heavier weights and get used to being under it. maybe half squats are my answer instead of briefs HAHA

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 05:07:36 PM »
I'm going to need to see some pics of you modelling them in order to make a fully-informed decision.   :-*

:)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 05:11:31 PM »
I'm going to need to see some pics of you modelling them in order to make a fully-informed decision.   :-*

depends..how much chocolate you got left?  ;D

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 05:15:44 PM »
depends..how much chocolate you got left?  ;D

I think we may be able to work something out... check your pms. ;)

:)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 05:18:13 PM »

I think we may be able to work something out... check your pms. ;)

uterus free thankyou!  ;D

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 06:29:00 PM »

I'm gonna email your husband and tell him you're acting like a dirty old man on the internet

brent2741

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008, 08:30:15 PM »
if i were you i wouldn't buy the regular briefs. i bought the Power briefs and they have helped out a tone. I bought them for an IT band problem i was having with my rt leg, and they worked. You can expect at least 3-5 more reps with what you can do 1 or 2 with.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2008, 09:47:10 PM »

Those are pretty much worthless in my opinion unless you are a woman with wider hips relative to your thigh size.   My wife actually seems to get a bit of carryover from groove briefs.  I'm not sure why.   While I like Inzer gear, the groove briefs and the powerpants with the origional material just don't last long at all.  They stretch out really badly.  I've also seriously pinched a nut trying to deadlift sumo in a pair of groove briefs.   It was a bit warm, I was sweating, and the legs were apparently more stretched out than I thought they were.   

I've got a pair of single ply powerpants made from hardcore material ---you can get these from Inzer or Brent Mikesell, just call them.  I really like those briefs for day to day heavy squatting for hip support.  The pair I have is relatively loose, I can pull them up by myself with a pair of slippers without teriffic effort.  They have a solid stopping point, and seem to be durable and the lower ab support (I blew out an umbilical hernia a couple of years ago) is very good.  They are about 75 dollars or something like that. 

Finding good single ply briefs is hard.  I don't get as much rebound compared to a suit with the briefs I've used, but they do have a bit out of the bottom and they've got a definitive stopping point.   The big thing I've noticed is just support of the hips.  I've tried wide stance (relatively speaking) without briefs and after 3-4 weeks, my hips start to ache.   With briefs (even regular power pants) my hips feel much more solid and there is no pain at all.  That to me is the single most important point of wearing them.  To protect the hips.   

I ETA PI

• Getbig III
  • TAPPA KEGGA BREW!
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2008, 11:45:52 AM »
You squat wide? 
Go with the Fins and get some Metal briefs. 

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2008, 01:07:14 PM »
You squat wide? 
Go with the Fins and get some Metal briefs. 

To the best of my knowledge, all Metal briefs are double ply.   Correct me if I'm wrong. 

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2008, 01:45:57 PM »
To the best of my knowledge, all Metal briefs are double ply.   Correct me if I'm wrong. 

yeah i'm trying to stay away from that

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2008, 06:27:37 PM »
I got a pair of the Inzer power briefs and they suck. They do nothing but provide superior testicular bruising.

I ETA PI

• Getbig III
  • TAPPA KEGGA BREW!
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2008, 06:46:16 PM »

They have an IPF line, think it is called Metal King line.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2008, 11:28:53 AM »
They have an IPF line, think it is called Metal King line.

There are no briefs in the IPF line by Metal.  The IPF doesnt' allow briefs. 

Seriously, if anyone knows of single ply briefs made by Metal please let me know.   The last time I asked on elitefts, I was told they did not make single ply briefs.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2008, 08:24:44 PM »
Does anyone know does Titan make single plye briefs?

I saw a mention on another board about "wide stance" Titan briefs, but I haven't been able to find them for sale anywhere on the internet.  Does anyone know was this some custom deal or does Titan make them and I just cant find them?

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2008, 04:23:36 PM »
Does anyone know does Titan make single plye briefs?

no
I saw a mention on another board about "wide stance" Titan briefs, but I haven't been able to find them for sale anywhere on the internet.  Does anyone know was this some custom deal or does Titan make them and I just cant find them?

DO NOT ORDER FROM TITAN...unless you have a few months (literally) to wait.  Use a distributor. Titan makes them, you just have to asak for it when ordering, IIRC.

Wicked,
powerpants/groove briefs are shit.  DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY.

Jason

monopoly19

• Getbig II
  • 675 locked out...
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2008, 12:36:21 PM »
Why don't you just buy a single ply squat suit and leave the straps down? About the same thing?

Also, I got a pair of ace briefs that were 2-3 sizes too big, they just slid right on. I loved training with them then as I got some support, but it was minimal, also very user friendly. Hope that helps.

Monopoly

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2008, 02:29:56 PM »
Why don't you just buy a single ply squat suit and leave the straps down? About the same thing?

Also, I got a pair of ace briefs that were 2-3 sizes too big, they just slid right on. I loved training with them then as I got some support, but it was minimal, also very user friendly. Hope that helps.

Monopoly

I'm looking for something for competition, not regular training.   Single ply, not multi-ply. 

monopoly19

• Getbig II
  • 675 locked out...
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2008, 08:48:39 PM »
I'm looking for something for competition, not regular training.   Single ply, not multi-ply. 

Well do you want them for hip support or for a comp? You have said both...

If it's support, I go back to my first post. If it's a comp, what federation allows single ply briefs? I'm cool with geared or raw lifting, but IMO it's kinda dumb to do a geared meet without all the support that fed allows.

Monopoly

BuffGoddess

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
  • Failure is not an option, train hard, get big.
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2008, 07:27:42 PM »
I have never worn them for competition. I found they didn't give me anything extra, but were uncomfortable. Don't spend the money on them unless you have hip issues...

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2008, 08:53:03 PM »
Well do you want them for hip support or for a comp? You have said both...

If it's support, I go back to my first post. If it's a comp, what federation allows single ply briefs? I'm cool with geared or raw lifting, but IMO it's kinda dumb to do a geared meet without all the support that fed allows.

Monopoly

Sorry for being so vague.  I wear loose briefs for most DE squat days and whenever I squat heavy (>~85%).  I really think they make a difference in terms of hip discomfort----I dont' have bad hips, but I've managed to mess up both knees through the years.  I'm trying to protect my hips as much as I can. 

I also compete either RAW or using single ply gear.   In some federations this means single ply briefs and single ply squat or deadlift suit. 

I like the inzer briefs I have, but I don't like having to fight with the briefs to keep my knees out.   Thats why I'm looking for a "wide stance" pair of briefs to play around with.