Author Topic: AP Report- Newsflash: Kobe to Win MVP  (Read 1168 times)

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
AP Report- Newsflash: Kobe to Win MVP
« on: April 11, 2008, 10:36:42 PM »
By JOHN NADEL, AP Sports Writer
1 hour, 3 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES (AP)  Polling Indicates Kobe Bryant to Win MVP in Close Race Over Hornet's Paul

"For once, the marketing lived up to the hype.  The number one cede Hornets versus the number three Lakers.  Perenial MVP contender Kobe Bryant versus upstart up-and-comer MVP favorite Chris Paul.

And for once, the marketing lived up to the hype.  With the sellout crowd of 18,997 at Staples Center chanting, “MVP, MVP, MVP,” the Los Angeles Lakers scored a 107-104 home court win over the first place Hornets on Friday night in a nationally-scrutinized game.  The game, however, was a mere afterthought in the battle that won over the heart and minds of NBA fans everywhere.

Ladies and gentlemen, it is official, Kobe Bryant is the MVP over Chris Paul . . . by a knockout.  According to courtside observers and ESPN insiders, it wasn't just Paul's 4 for 13 shooting or Kobe's Jordanesque, behind-the-back slam dunk which took the wind out of the guts of the Hornets, it was  . . . well, for lack of a kinder term, domination.  Kobe's near triple-double was one but one of the the many reasons that he had now laid undisputed claim to the MVP.  His control of the game and the mastery of his opponent left no doubt of not only who would win the MVP, but which team is now the hands down favorite to win it all.  An immediate post-game poll by AP and the Gallup polling company confirmed-  Kobe now has a decisive solid 8% lead among elligible NBA-certified MVP voters with a preference (more than the 2% polling margin of error).  Even TNT commenator Charles Barkley, until recently a vocal Paul-for-MVP supporter switched gears, stating "Stick a fork in it, it is done, the race is over, Kobe has it."

http://www.AP/Lakers-Hornets/KobePaul.com/column

mass 04

• Getbig V
Re: AP Report- Newsflash: Kobe to Win MVP
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 09:12:41 AM »
should have gone to Paul IMO

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 09:25:51 AM »
Last night Paul went 4 for 13 again as his team was upset by the lottery-bound Kings. 

Oh yeah by the way, the AP article I posted was MADE UP!!   Pretty good job, isn't it? I kept waiting and waiting for someone to say, hey the link doesn't workand I cannot find the article anywhere.

It was my own version of "War of the Worlds" but I hoped it would lead to an interesting and spirited discussion of the merits of the MVP race in the final stages.

body88

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 09:42:11 AM »
Last night Paul went 4 for 13 again as his team was upset by the lottery-bound Kings. 

Oh yeah by the way, the AP article I posted was MADE UP!!   Pretty good job, isn't it? I kept waiting and waiting for someone to say, hey the link doesn't workand I cannot find the article anywhere.

It was my own version of "War of the Worlds" but I hoped it would lead to an interesting and spirited discussion of the merits of the MVP race in the final stages.

I thought Paul deserved it.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 10:26:31 AM »
He may still get it.  But the back-to-back losses at a crucial point in the season with combined 8 for 26 shooting is not going to help his cause.

The qustion is does Kobe and the Lakers hand the trophy back to him with a poor performance against the defense-minded Spurs?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 10:51:21 AM »
About time they give the award to the best basketball player on the planet.   :)

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 04:02:26 PM »
The qustion is does Kobe and the Lakers hand the trophy back to him with a poor performance against the defense-minded Spurs?

The answer is a resounding "NO"

The trophy is Kobe's to lose

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 01:47:31 PM »
Not bad, I scooped the major media outlets by over two weeks with my fake press release!