Author Topic: Anyone read any interesting books lately?  (Read 2714 times)

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
  • I'm too sexy for my shirt!!!
Anyone read any interesting books lately?
« on: April 12, 2008, 04:38:59 AM »
I am slowly reading Richard Dawkins' massive book "The Ancestor's Tale," which traces our ancestry from the present all the way back to the beginning of life on earth. It's heavy reading at times, and thought I should get another book to read along with it. Maybe something with a religious theme.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
Re: Anyone read any interesting books lately?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 05:01:59 AM »
Why ruin it? If it's heavy reading it requires your attention more than Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Continue reading that then ask for suggestions.
الاسلام هو شيطانية

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 05:04:57 AM »
Why ruin it? If it's heavy reading it requires your attention more than Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Continue reading that then ask for suggestions.

Nordic, since it's a pretty long book, I thought I could read two books in parallel.

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 05:14:14 AM »
God is not great, Chris Hitchens, you read that?
الاسلام هو شيطانية

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 05:26:17 AM »
God is not great, Chris Hitchens, you read that?

Like ten times 8)

I love that guy!

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 05:49:35 AM »
Yes, but you can understand why some people hate him, he's the epitome of a smug Englishman, and he does it so well.
الاسلام هو شيطانية

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 06:00:46 AM »
Yes, but you can understand why some people hate him, he's the epitome of a smug Englishman, and he does it so well.

They hate him for being right, and because he makes his points with impeccable logic and eloquent style, that his opponents' arguments pale in comparison :)

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 06:17:08 AM »
Yes, I'm glad I'm on his side ;D

It would be harsh trying to debate that chap :o
الاسلام هو شيطانية

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 01:25:52 PM »
I am slowly reading Richard Dawkins' massive book "The Ancestor's Tale," which traces our ancestry from the present all the way back to the beginning of life on earth. It's heavy reading at times, and thought I should get another book to read along with it. Maybe something with a religious theme.

Anyone have any recommendations?
I'm currently reading both "The Case for Christ" by Lee Strobel and "Rock Stars on God" by someone I'll have to check the name. 

Like you I'm more slowy reading the Strobel book than the other.  "Rock Stars on God" is pretty fast reading and interesting to me w/guys from bands like Rage Against the Machine, Godsmack, Alice Cooper, Social Distortion etc. stating their opinions on God and Jesus Christ. 

Some of the interviews are from the late 90's and early 2000's so anyone can change their views by that time but I still find the views and opinions very interesting.  One theme I keep seeing is that no matter what personna someone may project to the general public, we are all just people and most of us want most people to be happy and have good lives.

If you want something interesting and not heavy reading at all (and have an interest in musician's views of God) I suggest it.  It was 50% off ;D
R

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2008, 03:50:03 PM »
I'm currently reading both "The Case for Christ" by Lee Strobel and "Rock Stars on God" by someone I'll have to check the name. 

Like you I'm more slowy reading the Strobel book than the other.  "Rock Stars on God" is pretty fast reading and interesting to me w/guys from bands like Rage Against the Machine, Godsmack, Alice Cooper, Social Distortion etc. stating their opinions on God and Jesus Christ. 

Some of the interviews are from the late 90's and early 2000's so anyone can change their views by that time but I still find the views and opinions very interesting.  One theme I keep seeing is that no matter what personna someone may project to the general public, we are all just people and most of us want most people to be happy and have good lives.

If you want something interesting and not heavy reading at all (and have an interest in musician's views of God) I suggest it.  It was 50% off ;D

Why don't you try reading something by Dawkins?
As empty as paradise

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 08:49:12 AM »

Why don't you try reading something by Dawkins?
Does he have multiple books?

Which one is your favorite and which one do you think I'd enjoy most and why?
R

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 08:54:15 AM »
Does he have multiple books?

Which one is your favorite and which one do you think I'd enjoy most and why?

He has lots of them... The most recent is "The God Delusion". All the others deal with evolutionary biology. Some are pretty heavy reading (though beautifully written), and deal with some hardcore theory.

You might like to begin with "River out of Eden" or "Unweaving the Rainbow."

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 07:52:03 PM »
I just read "With Love from Bagdad" a great read. A US marine takes in a puppy and goes through the trial and tribulations of bringing the pooch back to the US. all while hiding it from his superiors and keeping it fed and alive.
  super good book! i couldnt put it down. i highly recomend it. if you want i can send it to anyone who wants to read it.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 06:52:56 AM »
I just read "With Love from Bagdad" a great read. A US marine takes in a puppy and goes through the trial and tribulations of bringing the pooch back to the US. all while hiding it from his superiors and keeping it fed and alive.
  super good book! i couldnt put it down. i highly recomend it. if you want i can send it to anyone who wants to read it.
You are so nice to offer that!  Is it a true story? 
R

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008, 02:14:01 PM »
absolutely true, there are pictures in the book showing the different progressions it took to get the puppy to the US. i couldnt put the book down.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2008, 07:07:22 AM »
absolutely true, there are pictures in the book showing the different progressions it took to get the puppy to the US. i couldnt put the book down.

Thanks ATHEIST I will keep the book in mind :)
R