Author Topic: ProMeris WARNING!  (Read 2756 times)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
ProMeris WARNING!
« on: April 12, 2008, 05:32:03 PM »
permission to crosspost

Hi Everyone- the following message is from a very good friend. If you don't
have a pet, please pass this on to anyone you know you may have a cat or
dog....very important.

This is Jo and this is a very important message to my family & friends who
have dogs-cats--and to alert you to the hazard of using a new Flea & Tick
Preventative called ProMeris  http://www.promeris.com/consumer/ .

This is a new product designed to be a more effective product than other
flea/tick treatments that was just released this year. It is available thru
a vet and not currently on-line. I got ProMeris this week for my 7 dogs (6
Huskies & 1 Golden-Airedale), and the results were debilitating for nearly
all of them-including me. Since my incident this week, my vet has pulled it
from distribution and alerted the manufacturer, Fort Dodge.

Here are my results: Within less than 2 hours after applying, 4 of my dogs
had vomited from 2-4 times, 3 were isoriented and stumbling, 1 was dragging
his back leg, 1 was salivating. I had very similar symptoms like an allergic
reaction-my lips were swollen, eyes very red, mucous membranes such as eyes,
nose, and mouth were stinging. I was very disoriented-dizzy equilibrium and not able to drive. To make this a short story-all 7 of my dogs were admitted to the hospital for veterinarian care, and 3 of them remained for care, IV fluids and observation for 24 hours. I was in the emergency room. I'm home now and so are the dogs. We're all feeling much better. Vet bills were over $2,500 and Fort Dodge is paying for these. Not only can the product cause this reaction, it has a highly noxious odor that permeated the house and is just starting to dissipate after 3 days.

Your dogs/cats might not have the same reaction, but given my experience-I
wanted to help you all become well-educated about the product.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
Re: ProMeris WARNING!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 11:52:18 PM »
This is the first time I've heard of anything negative about this product----I have to wonder if the Evil AntiFortDodge Meanies are striking again....

That said, I've never used this product and I have absolutely no experience with it.   

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 10:47:50 AM »
This is the first time I've heard of anything negative about this product----I have to wonder if the Evil AntiFortDodge Meanies are striking again....

That said, I've never used this product and I have absolutely no experience with it.   

Evil AntiFortDodge Meanies are striking again?    People's pets have vary degrees of problems with these types of products all the time.  You know the number of adverse affects reported to the FDA (I believe this is for all product human & pets) is estimated to be at 1% of how many there really are?   Some vet's client has a reaction to this product so they don't use it again and the dog appears to get better and be fine - never reported.   

I've had people tell them their pet had a vaccine reaction at the vets office and when they asked the vet what they need to fill out to report it the vet was like "why?"   They have then told the vet they will be doing it themselves then.

So I take the numbers that are reported as basically worthless as far as deciding on if a product is really safe.  You can look at the MSDSs on these products and read them and decide if something that you should use gloves to apply and a human should seek aid if any gets on there skin and something that I don't think I would feel is safe to put on my pet.

So people if your vet won't report and adverse reaction, you can report it.   It is their duty and it is your duty to other pet owners so that safer products can be made, and unsafe ones taken off the market.   

On a group I am a woman has a currrent suit against Fort Dodge for a U-Penn confirmed diagnosis (DX; Rabies Vaccine induced Ischemic Vasculitis), and that Fort Dodge is trying to settle with them.   

More vets need to be willing to go to these lengths, actually it is not going to a length, it is doing their job.  The Ivy League Professor at U-Penn had no bias one way or the other in making his diagnosis, and knew her and her dog from no one.  Too bad other vets aren't willing to do the same.

This is why more and more people have a lack of trust in both the human and pet medical professions.  You can't trust what they say because they are the ones not reporting the incidents or brushing aside incidents.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 11:34:28 AM »
Jeeze flower, I was being sarcastic....or at least trying to be. 

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 02:20:33 PM »
Jeeze flower, I was being sarcastic....or at least trying to be. 

My Apologies, I thought Evil AntiFortDodge Meanies was a derogatory name vets use when people say their pet became ill from a product, you know, when they don't  believe them and then amongst themselves they would say "yeah, the Evil AntiFortDoge Meanies got another one brainwashed to support their cult against Fort Dodge."

Off topic but amusing:  There has been talk of going back to the old children's vaccination schedule, the one right before jump in autism cases that have nothing to do with vaccines.   
::)

There's progress for ya! 
8)

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 04:04:17 PM »

My Apologies, I thought Evil AntiFortDodge Meanies was a derogatory name vets use when people say their pet became ill from a product, you know, when they don't  believe them and then amongst themselves they would say "yeah, the Evil AntiFortDoge Meanies got another one brainwashed to support their cult against Fort Dodge."

Off topic but amusing:  There has been talk of going back to the old children's vaccination schedule, the one right before jump in autism cases that have nothing to do with vaccines.   
::)

There's progress for ya! 
8)

Flower,

We have yet to have AJ immunized for that very reason. The medical association will swear up and down their is no connection between vaccinations and Autism. On the other hand many parents of Autistic children find it more than a coincidence that just after a vaccine like the MMR was given their children develop an unusually high fever and start displaying the early signs of Autism. Some very good friends of ours had this happen to them after a flu shot and the Doctor they work with agrees their MIGHT be a link- hes also our baby's doctor. The fact that a doctor thinks their MIGHT be a relationship is a huge step forward. Lets be honest if the AMA decided that their was a link between Autism and vaccinations we would never know about it. They would simply change the recommendations for the vaccine schedule and in 5-6 years make an announcement like " Studies have found Autism in children are on the decline!" . Could you imagine the $$$$$ that would have to be paid out if it was determined their was a link?!? Until I can find some hard evidence one way or the other I will keep my son on an alternative schedule.
X

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 04:22:27 PM »
Flower,

We have yet to have AJ immunized for that very reason. The medical association will swear up and down their is no connection between vaccinations and Autism. On the other hand many parents of Autistic children find it more than a coincidence that just after a vaccine like the MMR was given their children develop an unusually high fever and start displaying the early signs of Autism. Some very good friends of ours had this happen to them after a flu shot and the Doctor they work with agrees their MIGHT be a link- hes also our baby's doctor. The fact that a doctor thinks their MIGHT be a relationship is a huge step forward. Lets be honest if the AMA decided that their was a link between Autism and vaccinations we would never know about it. They would simply change the recommendations for the vaccine schedule and in 5-6 years make an announcement like " Studies have found Autism in children are on the decline!" . Could you imagine the $$$$$ that would have to be paid out if it was determined their was a link?!? Until I can find some hard evidence one way or the other I will keep my son on an alternative schedule.

Glad to hear this!!!    I am glad you are educating yourself and making decisions based on that and not just what you are told you must do.  There is so much information out there, good and bad, for and against, but information no less that a person has no reason not to be educated and to make a decision based on knowledge of ALL THE RISKS for whatever decision they choose. 

And children can go to school not vaccinated (or not "fully" vaccinated), you can get waivers for a few reasons depending on where you live.  Religious reason is accepted everywhere I believe so anyone can use that one. Medical is another and I think exemption for reasons of conscience is also accepted in some places.   It is not always volunteered to parents, they are bullied into vaccinated by being told their kids can't go to school. 

Make decisions that you and your wife have researched and feel are the best for AJ.   :)

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 05:28:24 PM »
I dont' know about the autism connection with vaccines.   I'm not sure if anyone knows the actual answer---I do know when I was a med tech (I used to work at a residential care facility for mentally ill and mentally retarded adults as a medtech when I was an undergrad) there were several of the residents there who fit the diagnostic criteria for autism but didn't have that diagnosis.   I remember sitting through education classes where the topic was special needs students and dealing with them and then coming back to work to look at the residents, and then trying to get the head nurse and case workers to even consider autism with them.... they wouldn't.  I have to wonder if the increase in cases isn't due to increased diagnoses being made by the medical community. 

I dont' know the answer. 

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 05:57:14 PM »

Glad to hear this!!!    I am glad you are educating yourself and making decisions based on that and not just what you are told you must do.  There is so much information out there, good and bad, for and against, but information no less that a person has no reason not to be educated and to make a decision based on knowledge of ALL THE RISKS for whatever decision they choose. 

And children can go to school not vaccinated (or not "fully" vaccinated), you can get waivers for a few reasons depending on where you live.  Religious reason is accepted everywhere I believe so anyone can use that one. Medical is another and I think exemption for reasons of conscience is also accepted in some places.   It is not always volunteered to parents, they are bullied into vaccinated by being told their kids can't go to school. 

Make decisions that you and your wife have researched and feel are the best for AJ.   :)

To me the most concerning thing is that parents (and pet owners) don't have a clue what shots their kids (or thier pets) are getting.  You ask them, they give you a blank stare and reply "Their shots" or something like that.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 11:25:09 PM »
They use it at my girlfriend's clinic and have had nothing but phenomenal results with it.  It sux that all of their dogs had bad reactions to it, but one bad incident does not a bad product make.

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 06:21:24 AM »
I dont' know about the autism connection with vaccines.   I'm not sure if anyone knows the actual answer---I do know when I was a med tech (I used to work at a residential care facility for mentally ill and mentally retarded adults as a medtech when I was an undergrad) there were several of the residents there who fit the diagnostic criteria for autism but didn't have that diagnosis.   I remember sitting through education classes where the topic was special needs students and dealing with them and then coming back to work to look at the residents, and then trying to get the head nurse and case workers to even consider autism with them.... they wouldn't.  I have to wonder if the increase in cases isn't due to increased diagnoses being made by the medical community. 

I dont' know the answer. 

You 100% right Vet they dont know if their is a link or not, the AMA says "no way" and so many of the parents of Autistic childrent say their is some kind of link there. All I know is that Autism has risen from 1 in roughly 10,000 to 1 in 137 in just 20 years. I once had a doctor tell me that many of the children that were thought to be "normal" should have be diagnosed as Autistic-  ::) and that accounted for the rise. Its amazing that we werent all thought to have it?!?! Until I have a good idea I will work with my doctor on an alternative schedule for my son ( oh boys are much more likely 1 in 73 to develop Autism). My doc has a schedule that will have my son getting all of his shots before hes 5 and none before hes 2.
X

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 07:21:50 AM »
You 100% right Vet they dont know if their is a link or not, the AMA says "no way" and so many of the parents of Autistic childrent say their is some kind of link there. All I know is that Autism has risen from 1 in roughly 10,000 to 1 in 137 in just 20 years. I once had a doctor tell me that many of the children that were thought to be "normal" should have be diagnosed as Autistic-  ::) and that accounted for the rise. Its amazing that we werent all thought to have it?!?! Until I have a good idea I will work with my doctor on an alternative schedule for my son ( oh boys are much more likely 1 in 73 to develop Autism). My doc has a schedule that will have my son getting all of his shots before hes 5 and none before hes 2.

Its a major flaw in the medical community.... another example, I was a hyper kid.  I was an A student for the most part, I was easily bored, and I didn't give a shit if I got into trouble.  In grade school and highschool, I got into my share of fights, did stupid stuff, and basically was what I'd call A NORMAL FARM BOY.   In college it wasn't uncommon for me to have two textbooks open at the same time, a video game on the computer, and wrestling or something on TV.  I worked three jobs and went to class fulltime as an undergrad.  I was an A student for the most part. 

When I was a junior I took an adolescent psych class where at one point the topic was abnormal psych, specifically ADD and diagnosing it in children in the classroom.   The professor gave out a questionaire we all filled out as part of the class.  She and I got to talking at the end of the week because of where I was working as a medtech.  That led to her asking all kinds of questions, pulling the questionaire, and pointing out that apparently I'm terribly ADD.   One of the "most severe" adult cases (I was 21 at the time) she'd ever seen.   Basically I think she thought I had the attention span of a gnat on speed.  She strongly suggested medication and treatment to "help me with my problem".  I had a 4.0 that semester with over 15 hours of 300 level classes.  I laughed at her and pretty much ignored the "diagnosis".  I still think it was bullshit. 

The thing is its major, major problem with children now days as far as I'm concerned.  America is a pill popping society where everyone tries to outdo each others problems.  I know parents who just can't accept the fact their kid is a fucking brat and who will go out of their way to try to get a diagnosis of something that will give an excuse for their kids being self centered undisciplined assholes.  Combine that with overzealous teachers who like to play Dr. Phil and you have a real problem.

The real shame is the children who legitimately have a problem still may not be getting the care they need.