Author Topic: If McCain is smart he will ask  (Read 7122 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
If McCain is smart he will ask
« on: April 13, 2008, 10:45:22 AM »
Colin Powell to be his VP.  I know it's a pipe dream, but I would love to see McCain serve one term followed by Powell in 2012. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: If McCain is smart he will ask
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 10:46:50 AM »
Chris Mathews of Hardball (can you name a more politically connected guy?) believes it will be this man.
Look at him - 100% conservative rating, young, good-looking, strong economic base, armed services committee.
A family man.  Worked under Reagan.  Knows energy (ethanol!) and transportation.  No scandals.  Knows how to raise money.  Defeated Tom Daschle!  Only drawback - he is very very religious, which might not work well with independetn voters.

I cannot think of a better running mate.  Best part?  He's Obama's age!

John Randolph Thune (born January 7, 1961) is the Republican junior U.S. Senator from the state of South Dakota.

Born and raised in South Dakota, Thune attended college in Los Angeles, California at Biola University before returning to his home state to obtain a graduate degree at the University of South Dakota. He worked as a legislative aid to U.S. Senator James Abdnor and served in the Reagan Administration in the Small Business Administration, before winning election to the House of Representatives in 1996. After three terms in the House, he unsuccessfully challenged Democrat Tim Johnson in the U.S. Senate race in 2002, losing by a mere 524 votes (0.15%). Thune was elected to the Senate two years later, defeating the incumbent Democrat and serving Senate Minority Leader, Tom Daschle, in a historic race that received national media attention.

Early life and family
Thune was born in Pierre, South Dakota to Yvonne Patricia Bodine and Harold Richard Thune. Thune's paternal grandfather was an immigrant from Norway who partnered with his brother to start Thune Hardware stores in Mitchell and Murdo, South Dakota.[1] He was raised in the small-town of Murdo, South Dakota. A committed evangelical Christian, Thune graduated with a B.A. degree in Business from Biola University, an evangelical college in Los Angeles, California, in 1983.[2] Thune received an MBA from the University of South Dakota in 1984. He and his wife Kimberley, who is from Doland, South Dakota, have two daughters, Brittany and Larissa.

[edit] Political career
A member of the Republican Party, Thune worked as a legislative assistant for U.S. Senator James Abdnor. Under President Reagan, Thune worked at the Small Business Administration.

Thune was appointed Railroad Director of South Dakota by Governor George S. Mickelson and served from 1991-1993.

[edit] House of Representatives
In 1996, Thune was elected to South Dakota's lone seat in the United States House of Representatives; he won reelection in 1998 and in 2000 was reelected with over 70% of the vote. Thune supported term limits and promised to serve no more than three terms in the House.

Keeping his pledge, Thune instead ran for the United States Senate, challenging Senator Tim Johnson in 2002, and losing by 524 votes (0.15%). Ultimately, Thune decided not to pursue a recount, although there were allegations of vote fraud by Democrats.[3]

Between 2002-2004 Thune worked as a lobbyist for the Dakota, Minnesota & Eastern Railroad.[4]

[edit] 2004 Senate race
In 2004, he again ran for the Senate, this time challenging incumbent Tom Daschle, at the time the United States Senate Minority Leader and leader of the Senate Democrats.

The race was the most expensive Senate race in 2004, with $30 million spent,[5] and the most expensive in South Dakota history. It was widely followed in the national media. Thune — along with Senate Minority Leader Bill Frist, President of the United States George W. Bush, and Vice President Dick Cheney — painted Daschle as the "chief obstructionist" of Bush's agenda: "Thune was able to criticize “Daschle for serving incompatible masters,” and portray him, as Frist did when he came to South Dakota to campaign for Thune, as a partisan obstructionist and political heir to liberal icon and former Sen. George McGovern of South Dakota.[6]

Daschle's critics charged the Democrat with using filibusters to block confirmation of several of Bush's nominees to the federal judiciary, and being out of step with the views of South Dakota voters on other political and social issues: "The GOP had targeted Daschle, the Senate minority leader, claiming he had been the chief obstruction to President Bush on such issues as tax cuts, judicial nominees and the war in Iraq."[7] Thune emphasized social issues such as abortion and same sex marriage, and flag burning to highlight the differences between his views and Daschle's, stating, "Two-thirds of the people in South Dakota are in favor of protecting marriage through a Federal Marriage Amendment. You know, two-thirds of the people in South Dakota, probably higher than that, are in favor of an amendment to protect the American flag. You know, the Second Amendment, gun owners' rights, abortion -- those are not wedge issues in South Dakota."[8]

In addition, Thune drove home his strong support for the war: in a nationally televised debate on NBC's Meet the Press, Thune accused Daschle of "emboldening the enemy" by stating President Bush had "failed miserably" to avoid the Iraq war.[9]

When the race began in early 2004, Daschle led by 7 points in January and February. By May, his lead minimized to just 2 points and into the summer polls showed an effective tie. Throughout September, Daschle led Thune by margins of 2-5%; from October until the November 2 election, most polls showed Thune and Daschle tied 49-49 among likely voters.

On November 2, 2004, Thune defeated Daschle by 4,508 votes, winning 51% of the vote and became a well-known Republican figure in the U.S. Senate. Daschle's loss was the first ousting of a serving Senate Majority or Minority Leader since 1952, when Arizona Senator Ernest McFarland lost his seat to Barry Goldwater.

[edit] Senate service
Thune was chosen to be the GOP's Chief Deputy Whip. He also serves on the Senate's Agriculture, Commerce, and Armed Services Committees.

Soon after arriving in the Senate, Thune wrote language into a transportation bill expanding the pot of federal loan money for small railroads, enabling his former client to apply for $2.5 billion in government financing for its project.[10]

As a U.S. Senator, Thune also took a leading role in formulating energy policy. He pushed for the final passage of a comprehensive energy bill, which finally overcame a series of Democratic filibusters and passed the Senate in 2005. Thune helped pass another energy bill in late 2007. Thune is a particular advocate of ethanol and wind energy, which are linked to South Dakota's high levels of corn production and its windy prairies. Thune's hometown of Murdo is considered one of the windiest towns in the nation.

Thune, along with South Dakota's senior Senator Tim Johnson, was also faced with the challenge of keeping Ellsworth Air Force Base in Box Elder, South Dakota (near Rapid City) open after the Department of Defense announced plans to close the base as part of its 2005 round of base closures. The Pentagon announced that it planned to move all of Ellsworth's B-1 bombers to Dyess Air Force Base in Texas. Ellsworth Air Force Base is one of South Dakota's largest employers, and a critical component of the state's economic well-being, making it necessary for the state's political leaders to fight for its continued existence. Senator Thune, along with Senator Tim Johnson (D), lobbyied Washington, specifically the Defense Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) Commission, to keep Ellsworth open. In their lobbying efforts, they argued that it made little sense to consolidate all of the nation's B-1s in a single location due to the risk of a single attack or tornado taking out the fleet. Also, it was discovered that the Pentagon may have overlooked a lawsuit that possibly prevented B-1 pilots at Dyess from engaging in adequate training. While the fate of Dyess was still in the air, Thune declared that he had strong doubts about issues such as John Bolton's nomination as United Nations ambassador, "I've said all along that I'm going to play whatever cards I have to get the best possible outcome I can for my base," he is reported as saying.[11] Ultimately, the BRAC Commission voted 8-1 to reverse the Pentagon's recommendation to close Ellsworth.[12]

[edit] Political philosophy
John Thune is a Christian conservative.[13]

The American Conservative Union gave Senator Thune a rating of "100" in 2006.[14]

Thune's religious faith is also an important component of his political philosophy. He has stated, "Having a Christian worldview shapes my decision-making with respect to all aspects of my life. I always respect people in public life who are principled, and those principles have to be connected to something. And my faith is what serves as the anchor and directs my actions."[15] In June 2006, Thune reaffirmed his strong support to amend the United States Constitution to ban same sex marriages: "The federal marriage amendment debate simply is an opportunity for us to affirm our support for marriage...It is an important debate to have in this country."[16]

In a 2005 interview with Christianity Today, Thune supported invading Iraq, expressing a hope that this would result in greater religious freedom: "Liberating Iraq from decades of tyranny and dictatorship, bringing about political freedom, will create an atmosphere of where religious freedom will come to Iraq. And that opens the door, obviously, for the Christian faith there as well."[17]

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 10:57:34 AM »
In a 2005 interview with Christianity Today, Thune supported invading Iraq, expressing a hope that this would result in greater religious freedom: "Liberating Iraq from decades of tyranny and dictatorship, bringing about political freedom, will create an atmosphere of where religious freedom will come to Iraq. And that opens the door, obviously, for the Christian faith there as well."[

Too bad it had the exact opposite effect.

The last thing we need is another christian nut bag thinking it's ok to spend US tax dollars to promote their favorite fairy tale in other countries.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 10:58:32 AM »
We now know this man believes loss of American lives for the purpose of exporting religion is a good thing.

Some will love that, some will hate that.

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 03:44:06 PM »
We now know this man believes loss of American lives for the purpose of exporting religion is a good thing.

Some will love that, some will hate that.

Well, you can add me to the hate category.

Loss of any lives for the purpose of exporting religion makes him no better than the durkas.

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 07:07:14 PM »
Well, you can add me to the hate category.

Loss of any lives for the purpose of exporting religion makes him no better than the durkas.

Yoou know this is a religous war right.....dwayne?

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 12:40:08 AM »
wonder how much wars they will wage in the name of their god ::)

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 03:08:18 AM »

Yoou know this is a religous war right.....dwayne?

It is for the pedo durkas, Bukkake Boi Julian.

For us it's about oil regional stability war on terror.

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 03:26:52 AM »
It is for the pedo durkas, Bukkake Boi Julian.

For us it's about oil regional stability war on terror.

and bringing democracy ::)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 03:47:51 AM »
In a 2005 interview with Christianity Today, Thune supported invading Iraq, expressing a hope that this would result in greater religious freedom: "Liberating Iraq from decades of tyranny and dictatorship, bringing about political freedom, will create an atmosphere of where religious freedom will come to Iraq. And that opens the door, obviously, for the Christian faith there as well."

Too bad it had the exact opposite effect.

The last thing we need is another christian nut bag thinking it's ok to spend US tax dollars to promote their favorite fairy tale in other countries.

Ironically, under Saddam, Iraq had religious freedom where Sunni, Shi'ites, Christians, Jews, and Bahai's lived side by side in peace. All of that is changed now, and Christians have fled in droves. There's no place for them in today's Iraq  :'(
w

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 03:58:07 AM »
and bringing democracy ::)

Yeah. That too.  :P

Durka durka pedo mohammed jihad.

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 06:16:29 AM »
Ironically, under Saddam, Iraq had religious freedom where Sunni, Shi'ites, Christians, Jews, and Bahai's lived side by side in peace. All of that is changed now, and Christians have fled in droves. There's no place for them in today's Iraq  :'(

haha exactly, what a tool who wrote the article. Saddam even said he had respect for jews.
He was a modern leader and hated islamists.

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008, 06:26:27 AM »
We're worse than them. Neocons believe Jesus' first appearance will be in Israel so we must spend whatever it costs (money, lives, international good will, etc..) to secure the region. There invasion had no actual benefit to the typical American and the Iraqi people had more stability with Saddam.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2008, 06:38:47 AM »
Colin Powell to be his VP.  I know it's a pipe dream, but I would love to see McCain serve one term followed by Powell in 2012. 
McCain is a horrible candidate.  He's a Bush clone with a bad comb-over.

Here's part of his platform:  On-going War in Iraq & possibly Iran, Tax cuts pay for themselves--so more tax cuts in the face of crushing national debt, and torture by the CIA is A-OK.

It doesn't matter whether he picks that Yes-man Powell.

Remember Colin Powell at the UN?  When He lied his ass off to make sure the Iraq attack happened.

That's what America needs!  More right-wing yes-men working in tandem with a right-wing ideologue!

Haven't you had enough after 8 years of misery and failure?

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2008, 06:42:52 AM »
We're worse than them. Neocons believe Jesus' first appearance will be in Israel so we must spend whatever it costs (money, lives, international good will, etc..) to secure the region. There invasion had no actual benefit to the typical American and the Iraqi people had more stability with Saddam.

i always thought it was about the people but its not, they dont care about people. they install a dictator to keep the people in check, when it suits them they remove it again.

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2008, 07:27:32 AM »
i always thought it was about the people but its not, they dont care about people. they install a dictator to keep the people in check, when it suits them they remove it again.

We put Saddam in power.

Ultimately, Saddam knew exactly how to deal with those tiny tits. The US just couldn't understsand that allowing endless inspections would make him look weak and errode the fear he instilled in the populace.

The invasion pretty much has us (and the budget) screwed forever. Leaving means it will ultimately become an Islamist state with no buffer zone between Iran and Israel. On some level I believe Cheney knew this. The guy is some wierd evil genious and it's crazy that he believed we would be welcomed as liberators. He must have a secret religious, financial or whatever reason to want a permanant US military presence between Iran and Israel. No matter what anyone thinks of him.... no one thinks he's stupid so there's no way he thought invading Iraq would lead to anything other than a permanent US presence.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2008, 07:46:19 AM »
We put Saddam in power...wow? I fail to see this guy as a religious nutbag...not my guy but he's not a crusader either. U guys take the least little thing a jump to the logical Lib conclusion. U make Iraq seem like a wonderful secular state under Saddam. ::)

"Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles"
L

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2008, 07:52:31 AM »
We put Saddam in power...wow? I fail to see this guy as a religious nutbag...not my guy but he's not a crusader either. U guys take the least little thing a jump to the logical Lib conclusion. U make Iraq seem like a wonderful secular state under Saddam. ::)

"Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles"

He was a monster.  But he was the US's monster.  We armed him and financed him.  Even when he was gassing the Kurds, he was our boy.

He slipped up by falling out of our favor.  He had to go.  And go he did.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2008, 08:22:34 AM »

O Rly?  http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/anti-semitism/reliraq03.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2008, 08:24:13 AM »
McCain is a horrible candidate.  He's a Bush clone with a bad comb-over.

Here's part of his platform:  On-going War in Iraq & possibly Iran, Tax cuts pay for themselves--so more tax cuts in the face of crushing national debt, and torture by the CIA is A-OK.

It doesn't matter whether he picks that Yes-man Powell.

Remember Colin Powell at the UN?  When He lied his ass off to make sure the Iraq attack happened.

That's what America needs!  More right-wing yes-men working in tandem with a right-wing ideologue!

Haven't you had enough after 8 years of misery and failure?

I'd call him average.  Better than Bush in 2000.  Not nearly as good as Powell would be today.  Much better than Obama or Hillary. 

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2008, 08:31:55 AM »
I'd call him average.  Better than Bush in 2000.  Not nearly as good as Powell would be today.  Much better than Obama or Hillary. 
Why do you say that?

He thinks tax cuts pay for themselves and then some!

Sen. McCain: "No. None. None. Tax cuts, starting with Kennedy, as we all know, increase revenues. So what's the argument for increasing taxes? If you get the opposite effect out of tax cuts?"

Do you think that?

I think McCain is a scam-artist playing to the worst in people.  Definitely not presidential material.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2008, 08:55:29 AM »
Why do you say that?

He thinks tax cuts pay for themselves and then some!

Sen. McCain: "No. None. None. Tax cuts, starting with Kennedy, as we all know, increase revenues. So what's the argument for increasing taxes? If you get the opposite effect out of tax cuts?"

Do you think that?

I think McCain is a scam-artist playing to the worst in people.  Definitely not presidential material.

I say he's better than Bush in 2000 because his education is almost on par with Bush, he has a better military record, he's more experienced, and he's smarter.  (But I still think he’s just an average candidate.)  He's better than Obama, because Obama is a liberal who admittedly offers nothing new; just big government and socialism with different packaging. 

I support candidates who have the mindset that the money belongs to the people and government should always be trying to help the people keep more of their own money.  Obama is just the opposite:  take from the haves, give to the have nots, use the government to ensure everyone has an equal opportunity, even if that means the brazen redistribution of wealth. 

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2008, 08:57:15 AM »
I say he's better than Bush in 2000 because his education is almost on par with Bush, he has a better military record, he's more experienced, and he's smarter.  (But I still think he’s just an average candidate.)  He's better than Obama, because Obama is a liberal who admittedly offers nothing new; just big government and socialism with different packaging. 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HHHHAAAAAAAAA

Wish I had some of that Kook Aid.

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2008, 08:59:46 AM »
McCain is a poor choice. I respected him more when he was less of a polititian back in the day.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2008, 09:03:44 AM »
McCain is a poor choice. I respected him more when he was less of a polititian back in the day.

He's O.K.  Just O.K.  For yet another election we will be given a slate of mediocre candidates on both sides.  Frustrating.