Author Topic: Was Obama right?  (Read 2060 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Was Obama right?
« on: April 14, 2008, 07:30:10 PM »
He said poor people cling to their religion and their guns.

Do a survey on 100 rich people, and 100 poor people.  Ask them the top 10 things on their mind.

I'm betting the answers would prove Obama right here.  The asnwers will reflect the things they spend their week on.

The rich people?  Their portfolio, their insanely hot car, their myspace page, their mistress, their kid's coke problem.
The poor people?  You guess.

Remember Maslow's Hierarchy?  You can't get to the higher levels until you deal with the lower issues - mainly security and basic necessities. 

Poor people are stuck there - when you're worried about crackheads breaking into your house again, then yes, you cling to your guns.  When you live in a gated community?  Not so much!   When your parents died of poor health in their 50s and you don't have insurance, you cling to that bible because you know your time will up before long.  When you're rich, have great insurance, you don't think about dying quite so much, as you expect to make it to 90.

So while I believe Obama is becoming a big scary question mark in this race, I think he was right on this one... people just don't have the balls to admit it.

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
Re: Was Obama right?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 07:32:27 PM »

He should have been more tactful.  Being right's not the only thing that matters.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 07:43:29 PM »
He should have been more tactful.  Being right's not the only thing that matters.

Hilary acting like she was deeply offended was the best part.

It made me remember what I despised about the clintons for so many years.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 10:33:50 PM »
My view maybe a little skewed as I am from Texas and guns can be part of a persons culture down here but in my view it doesnt matter what your economic status God and guns are always in the lives of people, for example the richer you are the better your deer lease, religion is something to goes beyond economic status look at some of the biggest churchs around they have many millionaires in their congregations.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 10:34:53 PM »
Hilary acting like she was deeply offended was the best part.

It made me remember what I despised about the clintons for so many years.

LOL ya that was funny like she took it personally...muhahhah

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 05:18:40 AM »
LOL ya that was funny like she took it personally...muhahhah

the gloves are coming off now.. both candidates getting ugly

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 06:50:26 AM »
When was the last time anybody here bought a gun. I just picked up a S@W 45. I got a military discount on a $900 pistol plus 3 mags. I paid $540 for it. $900 bucks is not cheap.
L

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 06:58:45 AM »
Same in many areas of Penn.  Lots of people hunt there and were offended.
I see what he may have been trying to say but its not entirely correct when it pertains to gun ownership.  Many middle and upper income people own guns and shoot for sport.  Owning a gun is a right by the constitution.

The poor aren't all stuck there either.  At times its difficult but the great thing about America is that we can grasp what we want if we work hard enough and have enough encouragement and support.  My grandparents, the first generation born in America, were poor on both sides and no one went to college (two grandparents didn't finish high school). My parents did better.  My brother and I are both professionals.  One thing we had was fantastic family support, not monetary but real support to acheive and do better.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 07:06:35 AM »
Its all about working hard. There are plenty of people in ur shoes who worked hard and are doing well. Many people like tro whine and bitch about the unfair playing field and get very little accomplished. Guys like Obama think they're entitled to an education and advancement based solely on skin color...who cares. Its not about race its about hard work. This guy tried real hard to not bring in race but there are things in his background that would not allow it.
L

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 07:32:27 AM »
He said poor people cling to their religion and their guns.

Do a survey on 100 rich people, and 100 poor people.  Ask them the top 10 things on their mind.

I'm betting the answers would prove Obama right here.  The asnwers will reflect the things they spend their week on.

The rich people?  Their portfolio, their insanely hot car, their myspace page, their mistress, their kid's coke problem.
The poor people?  You guess.

Remember Maslow's Hierarchy?  You can't get to the higher levels until you deal with the lower issues - mainly security and basic necessities. 

Poor people are stuck there - when you're worried about crackheads breaking into your house again, then yes, you cling to your guns.  When you live in a gated community?  Not so much!   When your parents died of poor health in their 50s and you don't have insurance, you cling to that bible because you know your time will up before long.  When you're rich, have great insurance, you don't think about dying quite so much, as you expect to make it to 90.

So while I believe Obama is becoming a big scary question mark in this race, I think he was right on this one... people just don't have the balls to admit it.
I don't see anything wrong with what he said either.

Republicans count on that 'populist' definition to win elections.  Politically, republican populism is pro-business, anti-regulation, anti-environment, anti-union and in effect, constantly undermining the economic well-being of the common man. 

It always gets its tax cuts and deregulation. 

But the real big ticket item of republican populism wants prayer in school, an end to affirmative action, abortion to end, etc., but it never gets accomplished in the form of legislation.

I think Sen. Clinton (and most of the liberal media) is making a fool of herself acting indignant at Obama's remarks.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 07:54:21 AM »

Wrong.
I hate the State.

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 08:12:20 AM »
LOL!!!

Funny that Obama clinged to religion for 20 years as a member of Rev. Wright's racist congregation.

Makes me laugh how these stupid politicians conveniently use religion to further whatever their agenda is for that particular day. One day they are sitting with religious leaders on an altar of a church and another day they speak about religion as something that only poor people cling on to.

HEHEHEHEHEHE!!!!  My oh my.

And then on top of that he spoke about guns? I guess even geniuses are entitled to making stupid comments once in a while.

In short, Obama did not speak the truth. He generalized and that is always wrong.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 08:51:01 AM »
When was the last time anybody here bought a gun. I just picked up a S@W 45. I got a military discount on a $900 pistol plus 3 mags. I paid $540 for it. $900 bucks is not cheap.

SW 45 is a very nice gun.   You can get a crappy handgun for 150.  You can get a decent shotgun for 150.  Many of the guns have been in the family for years.

When you live in the projects or the trailer park, you worry about your personal security on a daily basis.

When you live in a nica gated community, you don't worry about it as much.

When I hear people here laughign about me being paranoid, or people not needing guns, well, they've never lived in a bad neighborhood.

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 07:50:45 AM »
Was Obama wrong?

Straight from the horse's mouth at the debate last night in Pennsylvania:

“For us to be obsessed with these kinds of errors I think is a mistake,” Obama said.

Trying to clear up what he said:

On the “bitter” remark, he said he was attempting to say that because voters feel ignored by government on economic issues, “they end up being much more concerned about votes around things like guns where traditions have been passed on from generation to generation. And those are incredibly important to them.”

If he didn't feel he was wrong, why is he trying to sugar coat it?

And if he is just doing it for votes, then how is he better than the Republicans. Democrats act and lie the same way Republicans do. Both parties are GARBAGE.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2008, 07:53:56 AM »
These remarks are going to change the minds of the 40 million plus dems who have or will vote in this election....its the other 90 million...half which are Repubs, and more who are undecided who this might and will bother in the general election.
L

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2008, 07:56:40 AM »
Was Obama wrong?

“For us to be obsessed with these kinds of errors I think is a mistake,” Obama said.

Trying to clear up what he said:

On the “bitter” remark, he said he was attempting to say that because voters feel ignored by government on economic issues, “they end up being much more concerned about votes around things like guns where traditions have been passed on from generation to generation. And those are incredibly important to them.”

And if he is just doing it for votes, then how is he better than the Republicans. Democrats act and lie the same way Republicans do. Both parties are GARBAGE.
Who in the hell in middle america is not bitter about the economy today?

The debt's at 9 trillion, home mortgages are failing at record rates, gasoline is $3.60 a gallon and 40+ million still have no health insurance.

Parsing a statement that is fairly accurate is a waste of time.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2008, 08:00:53 AM »
Yeah..who's fault is the housing problem....oil is a racket and while i'm hesitant to advocate government intervention, something needs to be done. I live in Middle America....I'm sorry I don't see all the misery..atleast as projected.
L

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2008, 08:04:19 AM »
These remarks are going to change the minds of the 40 million plus dems who have or will vote in this election

You felt the same way about the Rev Wright comments... polls show that nothing changed.  He's exactly where he was before the whole controversy.

Was Obama wrong?

Because he is appeasing the politically-correct bytches.  He believes what he said.
yes, people who are poor, live in shitty places, and die young, they do cling to guns and religion.

I am sure Hilary, with her net worth in the tens of millions, can understand what it's like to live in a trailer in cracktown fighting cancer, watching tv, reading the bible, and clutching a shotgun watching the clock.  

Poor people who live in dangerous areas without healthcare.

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2008, 08:10:42 AM »

The debt's at 9 trillion, home mortgages are failing at record rates, gasoline is $3.60 a gallon and 40+ million still have no health insurance.

Apples and oranges.

Obama was talking about religion and guns. You are talking about the mortgage crisis and health insurance. Obama was putting down people from small towns. What the hell does your comment have to do with the topic at hand? Check the title of the thread.

Also, you went from stating you didn't see anything wrong with what Obama said, to "fairly accurate".  Is "fairly accurate" the same as "almost pregnant"? There is no gray area in what Obama said. NONE.

Again. Democrats are garbage. Just like Republicans. Both parties lie and very little will get done despite what Obama, Clinton and the rest of them say.  Book it!!!

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2008, 08:19:25 AM »
Apples and oranges.

Obama was talking about religion and guns. You are talking about the mortgage crisis and health insurance. Obama was putting down people from small towns. What the hell does your comment have to do with the topic at hand? Check the title of the thread.

Also, you went from stating you didn't see anything wrong with what Obama said, to "fairly accurate".  Is "fairly accurate" the same as "almost pregnant"? There is no gray area in what Obama said. NONE.

Again. Democrats are garbage. Just like Republicans. Both parties lie and very little will get done despite what Obama, Clinton and the rest of them say.  Book it!!!
"You go into these small towns in Pennsylvania and, like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing's replaced them," he said.

"And it's not surprising, then, they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations," he added.

He refers to jobs.  Jobs represent the the economic basis for why people are bitter and why they cling to guns or religion.

This is not 'apples and oranges' its an analytical statement predicated on the effect the loss of economic livelihood (i.e., jobs) has on the class of people losing those jobs.  Without jobs, health insurance, mortgages and gasoline are all a dream but the debt is very real.

There's plenty of 'gray area' in what Obama said.  Language can be a deconstructive nightmare.  The mere fact that you got it wrong is enough to show some sort ambiguity in the statement.  Again, his statement is fairly accurate. 

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2008, 08:41:01 AM »

*Colossus raises his hand, albeit sheepishly  :-\*

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2008, 08:42:40 AM »

Bitter = hard to bear; grievous; distressful.

You're not upset about the botched war, the lies, the spending, the borrowing.

You're definitely in the minority.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2008, 08:43:56 AM »
hahahha. That's good.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2008, 08:47:00 AM »
Bitter = hard to bear; grievous; distressful.

You're not upset about the botched war, the lies, the spending, the borrowing.

You're definitely in the minority.
Nope.  I can't afford to let stuff like that get to me, 240.  It's not worth it. 

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2008, 09:18:32 AM »
Nope.  I can't afford to let stuff like that get to me, 240.  It's not worth it. 

Do you know what ostriches do when something spooks them?