Author Topic: DEATH OF AN ERA!!! *pic inside*  (Read 9509 times)

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
Re: DEATH OF AN ERA!!! *pic inside*
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2008, 11:52:25 PM »
In June 1969 Joe had his gym on the market for $50,000. I was on my honeymoon and was interested so I asked Joe if he would finance me. He gave me a dirty look.

He told Arnold not to open a gym but to buy real estate. Arnold took that good advice. Joe said a gym couldn't make much and the hours were long. He was right about that. No one could have predicted the success of the Golds chain.

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2008, 11:53:08 PM »
OK, is the old sign and building still there, or has it been completely turned into a residence now?

tommywishbone said they're still there, but tim says it's someone's house now. Looked like a boarded up storefront when I saw it, but that was more than a year ago.

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2008, 12:06:17 AM »
OK, is the old sign and building still there, or has it been completely turned into a residence now?

as tommywishbone pointed out above (where he says the Ford is no longer there) the second pic above is pretty much how it looks today.  but it is someone's residence.

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2008, 12:09:15 AM »
This one is my favorite shot.....
HAHA, RON.....

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2008, 12:21:38 AM »
This one is my favorite shot.....

the chalky black dude's shadow's fucking around.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2008, 12:24:23 AM »
I rode past a few days ago. The tree is not bushy right now but the building & sign is the same. I'm also guessing the black Ford is no longer there, as it appears to be driving past at approximately 35 mph.

LOL... I think many here overlooked the brilliance of this post!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2008, 01:37:29 AM »
Joe Gold sold it in 1970.   It's been sold many times since.  I know Ed Connors, Pete Grymkowski and Tim Kimber owned it for a while, but I'm not sure if they were the second or third owners.  It's been owned by at least two big corporations.   I don't know when they started franchising the name, but certainly more than 15 years.  I have t-shirts from other cities older than that.    Probably in the 1980s, maybe even the 1970s.

Why does any business get sold?  The owners want to cash out and retire or move onto other things.

Pete bought the gym in 1979 from Ken Sprague I think.  He sold it in 1999 and it again sold in 2004 I think to the current owners TRT Holdings (they own the Omni Hotel chain among other crap).  They have no business owning a gym chain.   But hey whatever.  They started the franchising around 1982 or 83.  I think the first year or two they had 5 franchises.  They had over 650 gym in 40 countries when they sold in 1999.  The franchise fee in 1989 was $12,500 a year.  It is currently over $100,000 for most Gold's Gyms.  In 1999 Gold's corporate owned the Venice gym only.  Currently there are over 80+ corporate gyms.  They are positioning themselves to go public.  the more corporate owned gyms they have the more they will be worth.  In 1999 Golds was sold for around $67 million I think.  They had 650 gym worldwide.  When 24 Hour Fitness was sold in 2003 or 2004 they got $1.6 Billion.  They had around 300 gyms (mostly in the US) but they are all corporate owned.  The numbers may be a penny off or so.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2008, 02:25:10 AM »
the pic at the top was the original Gold's, used from 1965 to 1975.   Then they moved to a bigger location in Santa Monica about a mile away.   Then in 1981 they moved to their current location back in Venice.  That's the history of Gold's Venice, one of the many hundreds of Gold's Gyms in the Gold's chain, the first in the chain.

go back up to the satellite photo.  The magenta box at the top is the current location of Gold's Venice.  The box at the bottom is the location of the original, the building in the clipping.

The original building is now a private residence, someone's home.   All of Venice along the beach has been gentrified, the little bungalows replace by multi-million dollar condos and lofts.

thanks, Tim and everyone else for explaining the details surrounding the Gold's franchise.

I remember hearing that the Venice location is being or has been knocked down/changed. This was last year sometime. is it still there?

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2008, 11:54:48 AM »
I remember hearing that the Venice location is being or has been knocked down/changed. This was last year sometime. is it still there?

the lease on the building is expiring soon and rumor is the current corporate owners want to find some place smaller and cheaper, almost certainly something further inland.   property that close to the beach is too valuable  for a warehouse.   That lot could be used for many dozen multi-million dollar condos.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2008, 01:02:34 PM »
the lease on the building is expiring soon and rumor is the current corporate owners want to find some place smaller and cheaper, almost certainly something further inland.   property that close to the beach is too valuable  for a warehouse.   That lot could be used for many dozen multi-million dollar condos.

Well the current owners of Gold's corporate location is in Texas where they moved already many of the offices.  It wouldn't surprise me if they moved the entire corporate headquarters of Gold's to Texas.  The rent was raised at that location to $80,000 a month. 

Moosejay

« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2008, 01:07:17 PM »
are you sure you don't mean 8k per month....

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2008, 03:08:30 PM »
are you sure you don't mean 8k per month....

NO, this is 2008.  It is $80,000 a month which is still under $1 a sq ft per month which is still a great price.  But mabe not for a gym.

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2008, 04:19:30 PM »
This is what Gold's Gym currently looks like today. Apparently, the photos were taken within the past week. A family of three lives there and the lady (owner) said they bought it about 5-6 years ago for $1.5 million.

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2008, 06:01:44 PM »
This is what Gold's Gym currently looks like today.

That's the original Gold's.   1965-1975.   (don't want to confuse GoneAway again)

Here is the current Gold's Venice

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2008, 06:03:01 PM »
This is what Gold's Gym currently looks like today. Apparently, the photos were taken within the past week. A family of three lives there and the lady (owner) said they bought it about 5-6 years ago for $1.5 million.

Why would they leave that sign up? I can understand the bunker-front as the road's pretty busy, but they could have gotten rid of the sign.

Moosejay

« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2008, 06:38:21 PM »
The owners may have nostalgia or see some value in it due top obvious, Arnold-esque reasons...

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2008, 07:02:56 PM »
Why would they leave that sign up? I can understand the bunker-front as the road's pretty busy, but they could have gotten rid of the sign.

That would've put the nail in the coffin.  :(

I for one appreciate the sign, if nothing else, still being up.

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2008, 07:48:47 PM »
how old is the magazine you scanned that from ?  15 years?

currently the building is a private residence valued on zillow.com at $2.1 million

When Ken Sprague bought Gold's Gym in 1977 from Sachs and Danitz he paid $75K and that included the building!

When Ken sold the gym 2 years later to Grymkoski  and Connors he got $100K.

Pete bought the gym in 1979 from Ken Sprague I think.  He sold it in 1999 and it again sold in 2004 I think to the current owners TRT Holdings (they own the Omni Hotel chain among other crap).  They have no business owning a gym chain.   But hey whatever.  They started the franchising around 1982 or 83.  I think the first year or two they had 5 franchises.  They had over 650 gym in 40 countries when they sold in 1999.  The franchise fee in 1989 was $12,500 a year.  It is currently over $100,000 for most Gold's Gyms.  In 1999 Gold's corporate owned the Venice gym only.  Currently there are over 80+ corporate gyms.  They are positioning themselves to go public.  the more corporate owned gyms they have the more they will be worth.  In 1999 Golds was sold for around $67 million I think.  They had 650 gym worldwide.  When 24 Hour Fitness was sold in 2003 or 2004 they got $1.6 Billion.  They had around 300 gyms (mostly in the US) but they are all corporate owned.  The numbers may be a penny off or so.

Gold's Gym started licencing their name in 1980, Ed Connors opened the second Gold's Gym at 810 Valencia Street in San Francisco, managed by Jon Loyd and Barry Clothier, but Ed was the owner of Gold's Gym Venice/Enterprises along with Pete and Tim. So I don't really call that a true licensee/franchisee. Actally back then they were not franchises, they only "licensed" the name out. It was $2K per year back then (by comparison when World Gym started their licensing program in 1983 it was only $1K per year, but Gold's had over a hundred locations, World Gym only had 3).

The third Gold's was opened in San Diego a month or two after SF by Paul Edney.

The fourth and final Gold's for 1980 opened in San Jose, again by Ed Connors. Scott Wilson and Steve O'Brien were the managers.

Of course after 1980 the chain expanded exponentially, had a 100 or more locations within a year or two.

I told Ed Connors in 1988 that it was stupid not to own/buy the Hampton Drive building, they certainly could afford it. His response was it was better to "lease". Of course he could have bought the building and "leased" it back.

And for the record, in 1988/89 the licensing fee-they were not franchising then-was $8,500 for the first year and $5,000 for every year after.

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2008, 08:35:32 PM »
ok, here is what I think is a complete list of the owners:

1965 - Joe Gold
1970 - Bud Danitz and Dave Sachs
1977 - Ken Sprague
1979 - Ed Connors, Pete Grymkowski and Tim Kimber
1999 - Kirk and John Galiani
2004 - TRT Holdings

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2008, 10:33:26 PM »
ok, here is what I think is a complete list of the owners:

1965 - Joe Gold
1970 - Bud Danitz and Dave Sachs
1977 - Ken Sprague
1979 - Ed Connors, Pete Grymkowski and Tim Kimber
1999 - Kirk and John Galiani
2004 - TRT Holdings

I left out that when Ken Sprague sold Gold's for $100K in 79 that did NOT include the 1006 Pacific building, it was just the business, and Gold's had already been moved to 2nd street in Santa Monica. So Ken cleared $25K AND the building in a 2 year time span.

BTW-those Galiani clowns used borrowed Wall Street money when they bought Gold's, I think it was 2001 though, not 1999. Anyway the borrowed money and a highly leveraged deal meant they could not meet the debt payments, and sold to TRT. It has not gone good for Gold's since Pete and Ed sold out.

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2008, 10:45:41 PM »
BTW-those Galiani clowns used borrowed Wall Street money when they bought Gold's, I think it was 2001 though, not 1999.

Oct 1, 2001
New Management for Gold's Gym International
The Galiani brothers step down. Gene LaMott steps up.

VENICE, Calif. — The brothers behind the 1999 acquisition of Gold's Gym have relinquished their management positions with the company. Kirk and John Galiani — CEO/president and president of corporate development, respectively — will remain on the board of Gold's Gym International (GGI) as the company's largest individual shareholders, but they have given up their executive roles. Instead, they will now concentrate on building and running clubs.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2008, 10:58:09 PM »
Suprise Suprise.

That SAME Ken Sprague works at the SAME High School where HowieW(Howard White) molests teaches young girls and boys.

http://www.marietta-city.k12.ga.us/mhs/html/ath_basketball.htm

2007-2008 Basketball Schedule

Basketball Schedule

Coaching Staff

Head Coach Boys - Charlie Hood
Head Coach Girls - Ken Sprague

http://mhs.marietta-city.org/modules/tt/staffList.phtml?sessionid=41e80e2bf4a5f3dac909b2d866472465&sessionid=41e80e2bf4a5f3dac909b2d866472465

White, Howard hwhite@marietta-city.k12.ga.us

Sprague, Sr., Ken ksprague@marietta-city.k12.ga.us

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2008, 11:48:32 PM »
Suprise Suprise.

That SAME Ken Sprague works at the SAME High School where HowieW(Howard White) molests teaches young girls and boys.

http://www.marietta-city.k12.ga.us/mhs/html/ath_basketball.htm

2007-2008 Basketball Schedule

Basketball Schedule

Coaching Staff

Head Coach Boys - Charlie Hood
Head Coach Girls - Ken Sprague

http://mhs.marietta-city.org/modules/tt/staffList.phtml?sessionid=41e80e2bf4a5f3dac909b2d866472465&sessionid=41e80e2bf4a5f3dac909b2d866472465

White, Howard hwhite@marietta-city.k12.ga.us

Sprague, Sr., Ken ksprague@marietta-city.k12.ga.us

Do you have anything to back this claim?

I ask because a joke is one thing, but in this case, there's nothing funny about accusing someone of such a thing.
HAHA, RON.....

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2008, 12:59:10 AM »
When Ken Sprague bought Gold's Gym in 1977 from Sachs and Danitz he paid $75K and that included the building!

When Ken sold the gym 2 years later to Grymkoski  and Connors he got $100K.

Gold's Gym started licencing their name in 1980, Ed Connors opened the second Gold's Gym at 810 Valencia Street in San Francisco, managed by Jon Loyd and Barry Clothier, but Ed was the owner of Gold's Gym Venice/Enterprises along with Pete and Tim. So I don't really call that a true licensee/franchisee. Actally back then they were not franchises, they only "licensed" the name out. It was $2K per year back then (by comparison when World Gym started their licensing program in 1983 it was only $1K per year, but Gold's had over a hundred locations, World Gym only had 3).

The third Gold's was opened in San Diego a month or two after SF by Paul Edney.

The fourth and final Gold's for 1980 opened in San Jose, again by Ed Connors. Scott Wilson and Steve O'Brien were the managers.

Of course after 1980 the chain expanded exponentially, had a 100 or more locations within a year or two.

I told Ed Connors in 1988 that it was stupid not to own/buy the Hampton Drive building, they certainly could afford it. His response was it was better to "lease". Of course he could have bought the building and "leased" it back.

And for the record, in 1988/89 the licensing fee-they were not franchising then-was $8,500 for the first year and $5,000 for every year after.

I meant 1999 the fee was $12,500, my mistake

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2008, 01:01:27 AM »
I left out that when Ken Sprague sold Gold's for $100K in 79 that did NOT include the 1006 Pacific building, it was just the business, and Gold's had already been moved to 2nd street in Santa Monica. So Ken cleared $25K AND the building in a 2 year time span.

BTW-those Galiani clowns used borrowed Wall Street money when they bought Gold's, I think it was 2001 though, not 1999. Anyway the borrowed money and a highly leveraged deal meant they could not meet the debt payments, and sold to TRT. It has not gone good for Gold's since Pete and Ed sold out.

It was 1999 when it sold to them (the brothers).  Pete had it for 20 years.