Author Topic: DEATH OF AN ERA!!! *pic inside*  (Read 9503 times)

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
DEATH OF AN ERA!!! *pic inside*
« on: April 15, 2008, 12:55:41 PM »
 :(

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: DEATH OF AN ERA!!! *pic inside*
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 12:56:32 PM »
Arnold is Numero Uno.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 12:59:32 PM »
 :'(  :'(  :'(

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 01:01:06 PM »
how old is the magazine you scanned that from ?  15 years?

currently the building is a private residence valued on zillow.com at $2.1 million

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 01:28:54 PM »
Damn, that building looks like it's frozen in time. It's a shame Arnold with all his money didn't buy it and keep it open.

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 01:53:07 PM »
Damn, that building looks like it's frozen in time. It's a shame Arnold with all his money didn't buy it and keep it open.

it's typical Arnold, never looks back only to the future

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 01:53:57 PM »

you know him?

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 01:55:26 PM »

I thought that was MJFox

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 02:02:09 PM »

i agree....  :-\

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 04:22:12 PM »
how old is the magazine you scanned that from ?  15 years?

currently the building is a private residence valued on zillow.com at $2.1 million

And the lady who owns it has been offered more than that for it and refuses to sell it.

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 04:34:59 PM »
And the lady who owns it has been offered more than that for it and refuses to sell it.

It wouldn't surprise me if she knows the significance of that building.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 08:28:29 PM »
was reading this on ironage yesterday.. what's the story behind this? did it not make enough money to stay open?

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 08:31:28 PM »
:(

How current is that picture? It used to look like that two years ago... probably changed now.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 08:40:19 PM »
I rode past a few days ago. The tree is not bushy right now but the building & sign is the same. I'm also guessing the black Ford is no longer there, as it appears to be driving past at approximately 35 mph.
a

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 09:02:53 PM »
he moved to a bigger location, then another, then sold it

moving locations usually means lack of business. seems as though it was big in the mid 90's, with alot of photoshoots and pics being shot at Gold's. do you know exactly why it was sold?

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2008, 10:02:19 PM »
moving locations usually means lack of business. seems as though it was big in the mid 90's, with alot of photoshoots and pics being shot at Gold's. do you know exactly why it was sold?

moving to a bigger location means too much business, not a lack of business.  Joe Gold opened the original Gold's Gym in 1965.   He sold it for $50,000 in 1970.   The new owners moved it to its second location in 1975 in Santa Monica.  At that location now is the Santa Monica Place shopping mall.  In 1981 it moved to it's current location.  The current Gold's is probably 20 times bigger than the original.

In 1977 Joe Gold founded World Gym.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2008, 10:29:29 PM »
thanks, Tim.

so, the Venice beach Gold's was the only Gold's in the world until it was sold, some 15+ years ago? do you know why it was sold?

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2008, 10:34:53 PM »
so, the Venice beach Gold's was the only Gold's in the world until it was sold, some 15+ years ago? do you know why it was sold?

Joe Gold sold it in 1970.   It's been sold many times since.  I know Ed Connors, Pete Grymkowski and Tim Kimber owned it for a while, but I'm not sure if they were the second or third owners.  It's been owned by at least two big corporations.   I don't know when they started franchising the name, but certainly more than 15 years.  I have t-shirts from other cities older than that.    Probably in the 1980s, maybe even the 1970s.

Why does any business get sold?  The owners want to cash out and retire or move onto other things.

genrommel74

• Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2008, 10:43:05 PM »
a piece of history

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2008, 10:52:30 PM »
Joe Gold sold it in 1970.   It's been sold many times since.  I know Ed Connors, Pete Grymkowski and Tim Kimber owned it for a while, but I'm not sure if they were the second or third owners.  It's been owned by at least two big corporations.   I don't know when they started franchising the name, but certainly more than 15 years.  I have t-shirts from other cities older than that.    Probably in the 1980s, maybe even the 1970s.

Why does any business get sold?  The owners want to cash out and retire or move onto other things.

ok, so the last Gold's gym and the name, was sold more than 15 years ago to owners who haven't made another Gold's.

I must have been thinking of World's gym when I saw the likes of Flex, Cormier, Shawn, etc posing and training there. Joe Gold was there in some of those pics, so that could be why too.

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2008, 11:09:53 PM »
ok, so the last Gold's gym and the name, was sold more than 15 years ago to owners who haven't made another Gold's.

you keep saying this and it makes no sense.

Joe Gold sold it 38 years ago.  Either the second or third owners made it into a chain of gyms.  Franchises continue to come and go.  The chain has had at least two corporate owners in just the last 8 years.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2008, 11:21:14 PM »
you keep saying this and it makes no sense.

Joe Gold sold it 38 years ago.  Either the second or third owners made it into a chain of gyms.  Franchises continue to come and go.  The chain has had at least two corporate owners in just the last 8 years.

ok, now i'm starting to follow. what you're saying is, since 1970 or so, Gold's was turned into a franchise, and what the clipout is stating, is that some 20+ years ago, the VENICE BEACH Gold's was sold to a new owner, who hasn't re-opened that particular location, yet there are other Gold's around the world that are owned by many different owners.

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2008, 11:34:24 PM »
ok, now i'm starting to follow. what you're saying is, since 1970 or so, Gold's was turned into a franchise, and what the clipout is stating, is that some 20+ years ago, the VENICE BEACH Gold's was sold to a new owner, who hasn't re-opened that particular location, yet there are other Gold's around the world that are owned by many different owners.

the pic at the top was the original Gold's, used from 1965 to 1975.   Then they moved to a bigger location in Santa Monica about a mile away.   Then in 1981 they moved to their current location back in Venice.  That's the history of Gold's Venice, one of the many hundreds of Gold's Gyms in the Gold's chain, the first in the chain.

go back up to the satellite photo.  The magenta box at the top is the current location of Gold's Venice.  The box at the bottom is the location of the original, the building in the clipping.

The original building is now a private residence, someone's home.   All of Venice along the beach has been gentrified, the little bungalows replace by multi-million dollar condos and lofts.

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2008, 11:44:23 PM »
Perhaps I can help explain this to goneaway.

The pic at the top was the original Gold's, used from 1965 to 1975.   Then they moved to a bigger location in Santa Monica about a mile away.   Then in 1981 they moved to their current location back in Venice.  That's the history of Gold's Venice, one of the many hundreds of Gold's Gyms in the Gold's chain, the first in the chain.

go back up to the satellite photo.  The magenta box at the top is the current location of Gold's Venice.  The box at the bottom is the location of the original, the building in the clipping.

The original building is now a private residence, someone's PRETTY-SHITTY LOOKING home.   All of Venice along the beach has been gentrified, the little bungalows replace by multi-million dollar condos and lofts.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2008, 11:51:10 PM »
the pic at the top was the original Gold's, used from 1965 to 1975.

OK, is the old sign and building still there, or has it been completely turned into a residence now?