Author Topic: Well worth every penny of ur tax dollars...another American hero  (Read 1495 times)

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Medic Recognized for Actions During Insurgent Assault
By Army Staff Sgt. Brandon Aird
173rd Airborne Brigade Combat Team

Col. Charles Preysler, 173rd Airborne Brigade Combat Team commander, pins a Bronze Star for valor on Army Sgt. Kyle S. Dirkintis, a medic attached for Chosen Company, 2nd Battalion, 503rd Infantry Regiment, April 1, on Forward Operating Base Fenty, Nangarhar province. Dirkintis was recognized for his actions during fire-fight at Ranch House Outpost, Kunar province. (U.S. Army photo/Maj. Nicholas Sternberg)

KUNAR PROVINCE, Afghanistan – Army Sgt. Kyle S. Dirkintis, a medic from Chosen Company, 2nd Battalion, 503rd Infantry Regiment, also known as “The Rock”, was awarded a Bronze Star for valor, April 1, for his actions at Ranch House Outpost, Kunar province.

August 22, 2007, Dirkintis, a Racine, Wis., native, woke to the sound of gun fire, something he hadn’t heard during the first three months of his deployment at Ranch House, a remote outpost defended by 25 Soldiers.

Minutes after the first shot, roughly 20 insurgents breached the outpost’s perimeter.

“We were pretty surprised,” said Dirkintis. “We didn’t know what was going on. It was the first time we had been in contact out there.”

Dirkintis and the rest of 1st Platoon, Chosen Company, put on their gear while Soldiers manning the perimeter exchanged gun fire with the approaching insurgents.

As Dirkintis headed toward the fight, a volley of rocket propelled grenades and small-arms fire hit the aid station and tactical operations center. The insurgents had taken up positions at the Afghan security guards’ post.

The fleeing ASG left half the perimeter unguarded, which allowed the insurgents to breach the wire.

ASG are a privately owned Afghan security company.

“Post 4, post 3 and post 2 had all called in and said they had made contact,” said Dirkintis. “At that point in time, we sustained our first casualty in the fight. Our forward observer received some shrapnel to his face.”

Dirkintis treated the Soldier’s shrapnel wounds while insurgent fighter’s approached 40 meters south of his position.

“I exchanged weapons with him (for the Soldier’s M-4) and ran down to the TOC to let the guys know what was going on with the casualty. Rounds were skipping by me. I was seeing rocks explode every where. You could hear RPG after RPG exploding. I kept thinking is this really happening?”

After moving to the TOC to inform 1st Lt. Matthew Ferrara about the injured Soldier the building was hit by a RPG.

“I remember the lights came down from the ceiling and it got really dusty in there,” said Dirkintis “I can’t remember if the radios had gone down or not, but the antennas had gotten blown off the roof and turned into a bunch of twisted metal.”

After the RPG hit the TOC, Army Staff Sgt. Eric Phillips ran inside and informed Ferrara and Dirkintis that post 3 was under heavy attack and a Soldier had been shot at post 2.

“I grabbed my aid bag and went outside with Phillips,” said Dirkintis.

Tactically moving toward post 2, Dirkintis and Phillips took cover behind post 2’s living quarters where they were pinned down for 15 minutes by machine-gun and small-arms fire. Unable to advance, both Soldiers stayed put and returned fire. The fighting between the forces was escalating and Phillips told Dirkintis to get inside the building.

“Rounds started coming through the building so I went back outside and got behind some sandbags,” said Dirkintis.

Once outside, Soldiers manning post 2 yelled down that insurgents were maneuvering around the living quarters. Phillips threw hand grenades around one corner while Dirkintis wheeled around to fire down another corner.

“As soon as I kneeled and looked around the corner I took a shot to the chest,” said Dirkintis. “At first I didn’t know I had been shot. My vision had gotten real blurry. It was difficult to breath. My entire body felt really, really numb.”

The force of bullet knocked Dirkintis to the ground and punctured a lung.

“I tried to crawl to all fours and to get up, but that’s when I started coughing up blood,” said Dirkintis. “I just couldn’t get up. It hurt really bad.”

Dirkintis continued to try to get up and get back in the fight. Unable to stand, he was dragged by Phillips 30 meters to the mortar pit. While the battle raged on, Dirkintis helped Soldiers find medical supplies in his aid bag and struggled to keep conscious.

For the next hour and a half, Soldiers used hand grenades, claymore mines, small arms and heavy weapons to repel the attacking Taliban. A-10 Warthog jets strafed a section of the base occupied by insurgent fighters. By the end of the fighting, 11 of 25 Soldiers defending Ranch House Outpost had suffered injuries. Five of those Soldiers later died from their wounds.

Dirkintis was medevaced to Germany where he recovered and, against doctors advice, volunteered to come back to Afghanistan.

Dirkintis now works in the pharmacy on Forward Operating Base Fenty, Nangarhar province
L

Decker

• Getbig V
Re: Well worth every penny of ur tax dollars...another American hero
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 07:20:36 AM »
We don't belong there.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 07:21:50 AM »
Thats Afghanistan...regardless ..he's a hero.
L

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 08:06:57 AM »
Save thousands like him.    Bring them home.   Very simple.

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 08:24:34 AM »
Bring them home AFTER the job is completed.

What is wrong with you fags? It's not like someone put a gun to their heads and made them join the military.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 08:49:06 AM »
I know it's Afghanistan.

Two more 'boys' from Wisonsin were killed the other day.

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 08:51:04 AM »
Bring them home AFTER the job is completed.

What is wrong with you fags? It's not like someone put a gun to their heads and made them join the military.

Goes without saying, Faglet.

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 09:13:22 AM »
I know it's Afghanistan.

Two more 'boys' from Wisonsin were killed the other day.

thousands of people are killed every day in america. people are starving to death all over the world. nobody else has been killed in wisconsin? nobody died in a head on crash with a cow? no trailer parks were blown over by the latest windstorm?

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 09:41:42 AM »
thousands of people are killed every day in america. people are starving to death all over the world. nobody else has been killed in wisconsin? nobody died in a head on crash with a cow? no trailer parks were blown over by the latest windstorm?
Oh, the old Limbaugh chestnut that deaths in the US happen everyday so why worry about deaths in Iraq/Afghanistan that occur at a lesser rate?

That's a fairly warped view of the situation in my opinion.  Equating attendant rates of death in the US with deaths from illegal invasions is party favorite among pro-war people.

Doesn't seem right to me.

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 09:52:16 AM »
Oh, the old Limbaugh chestnut that deaths in the US happen everyday so why worry about deaths in Iraq/Afghanistan that occur at a lesser rate?

That's a fairly warped view of the situation in my opinion.  Equating attendant rates of death in the US with deaths from illegal invasions is party favorite among pro-war people.

Doesn't seem right to me.

what about illegal's invading america and killing? wouldnt you be more concerned with innocent people being murderd in our country then people who die doing their job? i dont see you crying about any of the wrong deaths in america. i didnt see you posting about all of the wrong deaths that saddam or bin ladin has done.

you only cry about the deaths you consider our governemnt has done. that doesnt seem right to me.

obviously your only motivation is politics. political motive is all you care about, not the soldiers. nobody is buying your bullshit

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 10:00:48 AM »
what about illegal's invading america and killing? wouldnt you be more concerned with innocent people being murderd in our country then people who die doing their job? i dont see you crying about any of the wrong deaths in america. i didnt see you posting about all of the wrong deaths that saddam or bin ladin has done.

you only cry about the deaths you consider our governemnt has done. that doesnt seem right to me.

obviously your only motivation is politics. political motive is all you care about, not the soldiers. nobody is buying your bullshit

look at the polls lately? Nobody's buying yours..

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 10:06:55 AM »
look at the polls lately? Nobody's buying yours..
once again polls dont mean much there was a time when the majority of people wanted this war.

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 10:15:25 AM »

I was merely responding to the nobody's buying your bs line.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 11:06:10 AM »

Opposing one form of wrong-doing is not an implicit endorsement of another kind.  We are talking about Afghanistan in this thread and not murderous illegal aliens or Saddam or Osama being bad people.

This is a political discussion board so I would say you are right to note that.

It is beyond the pale of your thought to conceive of the notion that America is doing something wrong in Iraq and Afghanistan.  It seems like you understand 'winning' in those two countries as the only alternative.  I see it a little differently.

I don't care about the soldiers?  Did you conclude that from where I stated that 2 more Wisconsin boys were killed? 

I don't think you care for the soldiers.  If you really cared, you'd join me in wanting them removed from harm's way.

For whatever deluded reason, you want to keep them in a shooting gallery laced with IEDs.  How is that caring?

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008, 11:10:24 AM »

I agree.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2008, 12:28:49 PM »
Medic Recognized for Actions During Insurgent Assault
By Army Staff Sgt. Brandon Aird
173rd Airborne Brigade Combat Team

Col. Charles Preysler, 173rd Airborne Brigade Combat Team commander, pins a Bronze Star for valor on Army Sgt. Kyle S. Dirkintis, a medic attached for Chosen Company, 2nd Battalion, 503rd Infantry Regiment, April 1, on Forward Operating Base Fenty, Nangarhar province. Dirkintis was recognized for his actions during fire-fight at Ranch House Outpost, Kunar province. (U.S. Army photo/Maj. Nicholas Sternberg)

KUNAR PROVINCE, Afghanistan – Army Sgt. Kyle S. Dirkintis, a medic from Chosen Company, 2nd Battalion, 503rd Infantry Regiment, also known as “The Rock”, was awarded a Bronze Star for valor, April 1, for his actions at Ranch House Outpost, Kunar province.

August 22, 2007, Dirkintis, a Racine, Wis., native, woke to the sound of gun fire, something he hadn’t heard during the first three months of his deployment at Ranch House, a remote outpost defended by 25 Soldiers.

Minutes after the first shot, roughly 20 insurgents breached the outpost’s perimeter.

“We were pretty surprised,” said Dirkintis. “We didn’t know what was going on. It was the first time we had been in contact out there.”

Dirkintis and the rest of 1st Platoon, Chosen Company, put on their gear while Soldiers manning the perimeter exchanged gun fire with the approaching insurgents.

As Dirkintis headed toward the fight, a volley of rocket propelled grenades and small-arms fire hit the aid station and tactical operations center. The insurgents had taken up positions at the Afghan security guards’ post.

The fleeing ASG left half the perimeter unguarded, which allowed the insurgents to breach the wire.

ASG are a privately owned Afghan security company.

“Post 4, post 3 and post 2 had all called in and said they had made contact,” said Dirkintis. “At that point in time, we sustained our first casualty in the fight. Our forward observer received some shrapnel to his face.”

Dirkintis treated the Soldier’s shrapnel wounds while insurgent fighter’s approached 40 meters south of his position.

“I exchanged weapons with him (for the Soldier’s M-4) and ran down to the TOC to let the guys know what was going on with the casualty. Rounds were skipping by me. I was seeing rocks explode every where. You could hear RPG after RPG exploding. I kept thinking is this really happening?”

After moving to the TOC to inform 1st Lt. Matthew Ferrara about the injured Soldier the building was hit by a RPG.

“I remember the lights came down from the ceiling and it got really dusty in there,” said Dirkintis “I can’t remember if the radios had gone down or not, but the antennas had gotten blown off the roof and turned into a bunch of twisted metal.”

After the RPG hit the TOC, Army Staff Sgt. Eric Phillips ran inside and informed Ferrara and Dirkintis that post 3 was under heavy attack and a Soldier had been shot at post 2.

“I grabbed my aid bag and went outside with Phillips,” said Dirkintis.

Tactically moving toward post 2, Dirkintis and Phillips took cover behind post 2’s living quarters where they were pinned down for 15 minutes by machine-gun and small-arms fire. Unable to advance, both Soldiers stayed put and returned fire. The fighting between the forces was escalating and Phillips told Dirkintis to get inside the building.

“Rounds started coming through the building so I went back outside and got behind some sandbags,” said Dirkintis.

Once outside, Soldiers manning post 2 yelled down that insurgents were maneuvering around the living quarters. Phillips threw hand grenades around one corner while Dirkintis wheeled around to fire down another corner.

“As soon as I kneeled and looked around the corner I took a shot to the chest,” said Dirkintis. “At first I didn’t know I had been shot. My vision had gotten real blurry. It was difficult to breath. My entire body felt really, really numb.”

The force of bullet knocked Dirkintis to the ground and punctured a lung.

“I tried to crawl to all fours and to get up, but that’s when I started coughing up blood,” said Dirkintis. “I just couldn’t get up. It hurt really bad.”

Dirkintis continued to try to get up and get back in the fight. Unable to stand, he was dragged by Phillips 30 meters to the mortar pit. While the battle raged on, Dirkintis helped Soldiers find medical supplies in his aid bag and struggled to keep conscious.

For the next hour and a half, Soldiers used hand grenades, claymore mines, small arms and heavy weapons to repel the attacking Taliban. A-10 Warthog jets strafed a section of the base occupied by insurgent fighters. By the end of the fighting, 11 of 25 Soldiers defending Ranch House Outpost had suffered injuries. Five of those Soldiers later died from their wounds.

Dirkintis was medevaced to Germany where he recovered and, against doctors advice, volunteered to come back to Afghanistan.

Dirkintis now works in the pharmacy on Forward Operating Base Fenty, Nangarhar province

Yep.  Another American hero.