Author Topic: Is AEROSMITH the greatest band of all time???????????????  (Read 7462 times)

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
Is AEROSMITH the greatest band of all time???????????????
« on: April 16, 2008, 11:58:11 AM »
i wonder
Z

milfer

• Getbig III
Re: Is AEROSMITH the greatest band of all time???????????????
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 12:20:16 PM »
hmmmmmmmmmm............. .... no
?

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 12:23:31 PM »
t heyre up there !!!
UP THERE I SAY
Z

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 12:38:47 PM »
No
The only good thing out of that bunch was the lead singers hot daughter.

milfer

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 12:53:38 PM »
 :-X :-X :-X
?

milfer

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 12:54:21 PM »
 :P :P :P
?

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 03:36:30 PM »
great band
great songs
Z

KingCol

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 09:08:32 PM »
..................  NO.

Hope this help.

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 09:11:06 PM »
No, There first 3 albums were incredible. When a band admits to getting back together and staying together just to make money I think that zaps the creditability just a little.
$

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 03:24:20 AM »
plenty of good songs released after those 3 albums, like permanent vacation and pump.
Z

E N A N T H A T O R

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 09:06:33 AM »
Looks like Liv hit the wall.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 12:22:28 PM »
Great yes, greatest no IMO.

I would put the Stones #1

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 12:55:20 PM »

Nothing worse than a tall frame, with no titties.
It's funny how someone can drool over such mediocrity.  You put someone in movies or on tv, they become a "sex symbol", yet merely plain as hell..haha  I wouldn't look twice at this bitch. ;)
Great yes, greatest no IMO.

I would put the Stones #1
The Rolling Bones?..they can barely play their instruments..haha  A few decent tracks, but they're simply horrid.
KISS=The worst band ever
Beatles>Most, but not my favorite...from that era
Aerosmith, Pump was a great recording, solid material...aside from that, we're talking about 3-4 tracks tops, which were good
N

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 01:16:44 PM »
aerosmith baby
Z

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2008, 01:25:42 PM »

The Rolling Bones?..they can barely play their instruments..haha  A few decent tracks, but they're simply horrid.

Of course this debate is extremely subjective and a matter of personal taste.  Friends I have who are musicians think Watts is a great drummer and Keith plays some decent blues guitar.  On objective criterial such as longevity, concert take, cultural relevance, total revenues generated, I'm on pretty solid ground.

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2008, 02:13:33 PM »
Of course this debate is extremely subjective and a matter of personal taste.  Friends I have who are musicians think Watts is a great drummer and Keith plays some decent blues guitar.  On objective criterial such as longevity, concert take, cultural relevance, total revenues generated, I'm on pretty solid ground.
KISS has sold millions and millions of albums, yet they're one of the worst bands ever.  Sales don't equal greatness.  Take a look at rap. ;)
As far as Charlie Watts, I wouldn't say he's a poor drummer...simlpy cause I don't listen to enough of the Stones, but compare him to drumming greats...he's elementary, at best.  I always laugh when someone tells me, Neil Peart is the best drummer, etc or John Bonham..haha  While they're good in a rock sense, compared to beasts like Colaiuta, Gadd, or Chambers...not even the same league.
It's almost like me only being exposed to Men's Fitness and saying Dugdale is the biggest bodybuilder ever..haha  People simply don't know of many great players or can distinguish great from good at playing one style.
For bands, just because someone is around for a long time, only means their fans grew old with them.  I'd be foolish to tell you who to like, but based on musical merit...the Stones are shit. ;)
N

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2008, 07:15:15 PM »

Keith cannot play anything but decent blues guitar. There is a reason why Chuck Berry (originally an all out blues and country player before his style became known as "rock 'n' roll) hauled off and punched him!!! Keith would listen as Chuck told him what and how to play something correctly!!! Sonny Boy Williamson II also had a famous quote about English/European blues players....

"They want to play the blues so bad, and they do play blues so bad."

Charlie Watts is a great drummer- for what he does. He keeps the beat and has GREAT timing. Really the drummer has two jobs: to color the sound, and to be "protector of the beat." That's it.
Watts' feel and timing is what make him a great player. Not that he's flashy or knows how to use every cymbal out there.
Finally, many many players only play one style on records. The Stones do/did this quite often, and by doing this some players never truly stretch out. Hell, one of the premier white blues guitarists prior to his death (Hollywood Fats) came into rehearsal one day in shock, barely able to speak. When asked what his problem was....he had seen Wayne Newton playing on the Late Night Show, and said he was playing blues better than half of Chicago in the 50's. But ya don't here him do that in Vegas, I bet!!! (Never seen his act, just a hunch however!)

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2008, 09:42:28 PM »

Keith cannot play anything but decent blues guitar. There is a reason why Chuck Berry (originally an all out blues and country player before his style became known as "rock 'n' roll) hauled off and punched him!!! Keith would listen as Chuck told him what and how to play something correctly!!! Sonny Boy Williamson II also had a famous quote about English/European blues players....

"They want to play the blues so bad, and they do play blues so bad."

Charlie Watts is a great drummer- for what he does. He keeps the beat and has GREAT timing. Really the drummer has two jobs: to color the sound, and to be "protector of the beat." That's it.
Watts' feel and timing is what make him a great player. Not that he's flashy or knows how to use every cymbal out there.
Finally, many many players only play one style on records. The Stones do/did this quite often, and by doing this some players never truly stretch out. Hell, one of the premier white blues guitarists prior to his death (Hollywood Fats) came into rehearsal one day in shock, barely able to speak. When asked what his problem was....he had seen Wayne Newton playing on the Late Night Show, and said he was playing blues better than half of Chicago in the 50's. But ya don't here him do that in Vegas, I bet!!! (Never seen his act, just a hunch however!)

Charlie Watts is shit simply for the reason he's so simple yet can't seem to hit the hi-hat and snare at the same time. Watch any video of him and you'll see what I'm saying.
$

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2008, 03:09:10 PM »
Charlie Watts is shit simply for the reason he's so simple yet can't seem to hit the hi-hat and snare at the same time. Watch any video of him and you'll see what I'm saying.

Is it that he can't do it, or that he doesn't want to do it? Perhaps it is not the sound he wants to imitate and/or the style of music the other band members want?

Lots of people other than the person CAN have an effect over what it wanted. A lead singer may hear something that nobody else does onstage because when he/she sings the time of a song is sped up and they can tell by how fast they have to speed up the words/phrasing.

A drummer friend of mine was fired from a band, not for being a bad drummer or bad guy, but because he didn't agree with the guitarist/singer about how certain things should go onstage. He could play exactly what was requested of him and did to a point. But when he would do something a bit differently, it pisses people off. Over a time period of years, it's irritating.
Maybe it's not that Charlie can't....it's because Keith says "no."
Also, it's been mentioned in interviews that the Stones don't use Charlie as the time keeper, but they use Keith. :-\ Don't agree with it, but that's a tidbit for whatever use you'd like.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2008, 03:12:15 PM »
maybe bands dont need a drummer at all
Z

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2008, 03:54:41 PM »
Is it that he can't do it, or that he doesn't want to do it? Perhaps it is not the sound he wants to imitate and/or the style of music the other band members want?

Lots of people other than the person CAN have an effect over what it wanted. A lead singer may hear something that nobody else does onstage because when he/she sings the time of a song is sped up and they can tell by how fast they have to speed up the words/phrasing.

A drummer friend of mine was fired from a band, not for being a bad drummer or bad guy, but because he didn't agree with the guitarist/singer about how certain things should go onstage. He could play exactly what was requested of him and did to a point. But when he would do something a bit differently, it pisses people off. Over a time period of years, it's irritating.
Maybe it's not that Charlie can't....it's because Keith says "no."
Also, it's been mentioned in interviews that the Stones don't use Charlie as the time keeper, but they use Keith. :-\ Don't agree with it, but that's a tidbit for whatever use you'd like.

Drums are near and dear to me since I've been playing them for 15+ years now. My personal opinion since you can argue rock drumming forever is there is about maybe 5 total Rock drummers ever that come near the high level jazz guys.
At my current stage of learning and what I personally observe jazz is the pinnacle of musical development. The Charlie Watts's, Ringo Starr's and John Bonhams of this world are like comparing WWE Wrestlers to Marathon Runners.

With that check out around the 3min mark and watch an over 70 Buddy Rich completely destroy just about everything about drums...

$

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2008, 04:26:40 PM »
boring

that old fart couldnt finish a slayer song
Z

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2008, 06:49:39 PM »
boring

that old fart couldnt finish a slayer song

And you can't argue a point (compared to BSB and myself) in music with any knowledge to save your post count.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2008, 07:02:31 PM »
Drums are near and dear to me since I've been playing them for 15+ years now. My personal opinion since you can argue rock drumming forever is there is about maybe 5 total Rock drummers ever that come near the high level jazz guys.
At my current stage of learning and what I personally observe jazz is the pinnacle of musical development. The Charlie Watts's, Ringo Starr's and John Bonhams of this world are like comparing WWE Wrestlers to Marathon Runners.

With that check out around the 3min mark and watch an over 70 Buddy Rich completely destroy just about everything about drums...

Buddy was an ASSHOLE!!! Fuckin' killer drummer but as a person he was an ASSHOLE!!! (check for the recordings of him melting down GetBig style....in the truest sense of the word!)

Now for the drumming, I agree with you. However, since I play guitar (using many many styles but blues and jazz are my forte's) I think it really depends.
In jazz, it's very much cerebral music-especially at the beginning. Learning theory-not a must but helps- practicing and what is put into it takes time and patience.
Rock, same thing, on a different level. Sure you learn your theory, practice and play play play. But what comes out is completely different.
In blues, if you learn two scales, you've pretty much got the whole idiom covered, except what separates the men from the boys is the feeling/experience you put into it, and what genres you focus on. Coco Montoya is NOT blues IMO. However, somebody like SRV still is yet he still plays with much more of a rock base than Muddy Waters.
Kurt Cobain sucked when he came out, but I listen to him now and enjoy some of his stuff. Random point.
It's all apples and oranges (or grapefruits and bananas) on what style you play. But I do think jazz is one of the most complex and difficult forms of music to play.
Great jazz drummers:

Ben Riley, Art Blakey, Smilin' Billy Higgins, Buddy Rich, Donald Bailey (I think that's his name, played with Hampton Hawes), Philly Joe Jones *all of the Joe Jones'!!!*, and so many more.
When all the guys hit a groove, it's phenomenal. Listen to some of the early Roost/Blue Note recordings of Bud Powell and that band grooves like nobody else! Same for the Hampton Hawes Trio recording (and to a lesser extent though still mind-blowing, listen to the Hawes stuff recorded live in Hollywood when he was a late teen/early twenty-something).

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2008, 07:36:18 PM »
Buddy was an ASSHOLE!!! Fuckin' killer drummer but as a person he was an ASSHOLE!!! (check for the recordings of him melting down GetBig style....in the truest sense of the word!)

Now for the drumming, I agree with you. However, since I play guitar (using many many styles but blues and jazz are my forte's) I think it really depends.
In jazz, it's very much cerebral music-especially at the beginning. Learning theory-not a must but helps- practicing and what is put into it takes time and patience.
Rock, same thing, on a different level. Sure you learn your theory, practice and play play play. But what comes out is completely different.
In blues, if you learn two scales, you've pretty much got the whole idiom covered, except what separates the men from the boys is the feeling/experience you put into it, and what genres you focus on. Coco Montoya is NOT blues IMO. However, somebody like SRV still is yet he still plays with much more of a rock base than Muddy Waters.
Kurt Cobain sucked when he came out, but I listen to him now and enjoy some of his stuff. Random point.
It's all apples and oranges (or grapefruits and bananas) on what style you play. But I do think jazz is one of the most complex and difficult forms of music to play.
Great jazz drummers:

Ben Riley, Art Blakey, Smilin' Billy Higgins, Buddy Rich, Donald Bailey (I think that's his name, played with Hampton Hawes), Philly Joe Jones *all of the Joe Jones'!!!*, and so many more.
When all the guys hit a groove, it's phenomenal. Listen to some of the early Roost/Blue Note recordings of Bud Powell and that band grooves like nobody else! Same for the Hampton Hawes Trio recording (and to a lesser extent though still mind-blowing, listen to the Hawes stuff recorded live in Hollywood when he was a late teen/early twenty-something).

Yep, Buddy was an asshole but if I could drum like that and had been playing since age 4 or whatever I might be as well.

Speaking of blues, I've been on a Blind Willie McTell & Charlie Patton binge lately.
$