Author Topic: Yemeni girl, 8, gets divorce after forced marriage  (Read 3939 times)

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
Yemeni girl, 8, gets divorce after forced marriage
« on: April 17, 2008, 04:08:00 AM »
Yemeni girl, 8, gets divorce after forced marriage

A Yemeni court on Tuesday granted a divorce to an eight-year-old girl whose unemployed father forced her into an arranged marriage this year, saying he feared she might be kidnapped.

"I am happy that I am divorced now. I will be able to go back to school," Nojud Mohammed Ali said, after a public hearing in Sanaa's court of first instance.

Her former husband, 28-year-old Faez Ali Thameur, said he married the child "with her consent and that of her parents" but that he did not object to her divorce petition.

In response to a question from Judge Mohammed al-Qadhi, he acknowledged that the "marriage was consummated, but I did not beat her."

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=080415185328.c823bb5i&show_article=1

Seriously, WTF is wrong with these people?  >:(

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
Re: Yemeni girl, 8, gets divorce after forced marriage
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 05:53:14 AM »
Great religion.  ::)

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 05:59:21 AM »
What was the average age of marriage in the US during colonial times? I don't know, just curious.

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 06:02:28 AM »
What was the average age of marriage in the US during colonial times? I don't know, just curious.

And just as it's no longer 1700...  ::)

Justifying these instances by bringing up the events of hundreds of years ago just shows how far behind the times Islam really is. It's not a compliment or a justification, but in reality shows that they're holding the rest of the world back with their fucked up beliefs.

In 5,000 BC, the Egyptians killed people. Well, by the train of thought, it's ok for me to kill people!  ::)

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 06:15:18 AM »

I've heard numbers around 14-15 years old (I'd have to verify) but those were different times.

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 06:18:24 AM »
And just as it's no longer 1700...  ::)

Justifying these instances by bringing up the events of hundreds of years ago just shows how far behind the times Islam really is. It's not a compliment or a justification, but in reality shows that they're holding the rest of the world back with their fucked up beliefs.

In 5,000 BC, the Egyptians killed people. Well, by the train of thought, it's ok for me to kill people!  ::)

Has someone given you or the US a right to impose modern values upon the world? No one gives a crap about these people and no one ever will. People only pretend to care so we can say some Yemeni girl will benefit from our wrong actions. If people really cared about crap like that we'd be stopping Mormons, menonites, Quakers, etc.. and all the other relegious sects that practice polygamy and teen marriage in the US. We (as a country) are total and unapologetic hypocrits.

As far as killing people the US does it daily. We, as a country, just make a value judgement on their lives based upon how white they are and their religion.

To paraphrase Mark Twain: there are two kinds of democracy in America. The one practiced here and the one we export.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 06:28:13 AM »
Has someone given you or the US a right to impose modern values upon the world? No one gives a crap about these people and no one ever will. People only pretend to care so we can say some Yemeni girl will benefit from our wrong actions. If people really cared about crap like that we'd be stopping Mormons, menonites, Quakers, etc.. and all the other relegious sects that practice polygamy and teen marriage in the US. We (as a country) are total and unapologetic hypocrits.

Good point.
We should hit those fcukers. Hard.

What normal person can say to another human being that it is ok to let an underage girl be married against her will?

What normal person can say to another human being that it is ok to let a sect have their women engage in polygamy?

What kind of society is that?

As empty as paradise

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 06:31:11 AM »

As far as killing people the US does it daily. We, as a country, just make a value judgement on their lives based upon how white they are and their religion.

To paraphrase Mark Twain: there are two kinds of democracy in America. The one practiced here and the one we export.

There was a gigantic raid on the FLDS last week, bright spot.

It looks to me like you're justifying pedophilia. Just because a society practices it doesn't make it right. Or are you telling me that this 8 year old girl should've known better than to agree to marry a guy 3x her senior?

Be it whites, asian or muslims, I can't justify pedophilia just because it was condoned in a book written 1500 years ago.

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 07:00:15 AM »
There was a gigantic raid on the FLDS last week, bright spot.

It looks to me like you're justifying pedophilia. Just because a society practices it doesn't make it right. Or are you telling me that this 8 year old girl should've known better than to agree to marry a guy 3x her senior?

Be it whites, asian or muslims, I can't justify pedophilia just because it was condoned in a book written 1500 years ago.

BF,

You're really improving at this debate stuff!!!! Can't wait to bust your balls even more after college, LOL!

First of all, I applaud your changing the topic from the US imposing its values upon other countries to pedophilia. No one really would want to argue in favor of pedophilia, aside from some Y regulars, LOL! Sadly, this isn't at all about pedophilia, it's about the truth and we don't care about Yemen beyond their having oil. As a matter of fact if they all died tomorrow and we could take possession of the oil no one in the the US would even care, aside from actual Yemeni people.

But still changing topics was pretty cool and a huge improvement over the usual tactics of calling me an anti-semite or something lame like that. :)

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 07:11:35 AM »
BF,

You're really improving at this debate stuff!!!! Can't wait to bust your balls even more after college, LOL!

First of all, I applaud your changing the topic from the US imposing its values upon other countries to pedophilia. No one really would want to argue in favor of pedophilia, aside from some Y regulars, LOL! Sadly, this isn't at all about pedophilia, it's about the truth and we don't care about Yemen beyond their having oil. As a matter of fact if they all died tomorrow and we could take possession of the oil no one in the the US would even care, aside from actual Yemeni people.

But still changing topics was pretty cool and a huge improvement over the usual tactics of calling me an anti-semite or something lame like that. :)

Hahaha, you made me start laughing out loud in class. Thanks for the vote of confidence, I've been working on it. Topics of Islam bring out the old SQUAD in me but I like to think I'm somewhat making progress to debating intelligently and logically.

You're right though. If Yemen disappeared tomorrow and the oil was left behind, no one would be complaining. Great point, Pumphard DrKaje!  ;D

I've harbored a life long dream of joining the Harvard debate team.  :'(

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 07:16:59 AM »
You are a master debater. :)

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 07:18:06 AM »
You are a master debater. :)

Hahaha, if my IQ was under 190 (which it's not), I would suspect that was sarcasm.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 07:19:48 AM »

When that religion spreads death and destruction across the globe then its a problem and gives us a right to get invloved. If the rags want to quietly kill each other thats fine but they export their violence across the globe. They sit on most of the worlds oil supply, thats a problem. Ur naive world outlook, which blames the United States for the worlds ills, is ridiculous.
L

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 07:27:13 AM »
Hahaha, if my IQ was under 190 (which it's not), I would suspect that was sarcasm.

There is such a phenomenon as the educated dumbass. :)

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2008, 07:31:03 AM »
There is such a phenomenon as the educated dumbass. :)

In an ode to Allah, my word is absolute and irrefutable.

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2008, 07:42:54 AM »

That = a brutal IQ.

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2008, 07:50:33 AM »

When that religion spreads death and destruction across the globe then its a problem and gives us a right to get invloved. If the rags want to quietly kill each other thats fine but they export their violence across the globe. They sit on most of the worlds oil supply, thats a problem. Ur naive world outlook, which blames the United States for the worlds ills, is ridiculous.

I don't "blame" the US but admit we have some policy mistakes which are far reaching. We keep making the same mistakes over and over again. One of them is always putting Israel first another is the dillusion that what's good for Israel is always good for the US. Whatever chance Israel had for peace probably passed a long time ago. Now, no peace weren't an option due to unflagging US support. In the same vein, it's neighbors want the country eliminated and the US is the only thing standing in their way so it's pretty easy to understand why they hate us. Hard to tell where the US went wrong in the whole mess.

The pressure lobbyists have on our political system is huge and I'd support McCain if there was any chance he could make a change.

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2008, 07:52:44 AM »

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2008, 07:58:39 AM »
I don't "blame" the US but admit we have some policy mistakes which are far reaching. We keep making the same mistakes over and over again. One of them is always putting Israel first another is the dillusion that what's good for Israel is always good for the US. Whatever chance Israel had for peace probably passed a long time ago. Now, no peace weren't an option due to unflagging US support. In the same vein, it's neighbors want the country eliminated and the US is the only thing standing in their way so it's pretty easy to understand why they hate us. Hard to tell where the US went wrong in the whole mess.

The pressure lobbyists have on our political system is huge and I'd support McCain if there was any chance he could make a change.

Ok...then allow Israel to stand on her own two feet. I bet we could broker a deal that we would cease support to the Saudi's and forrces elections.... and force the establishment of a Palestinian state. In return everybody recognizes Israel and Iran needs to be delt with, one way or another. Nobody else in the Middle East wants a nuclear Iran....that means everybody else will want them. The Saudi government is hanging by a thread...a nuclear SA that falls to the nutbags will be a huge disaster.
L

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2008, 08:08:08 AM »

Good point, ur one of the smarter guys on this board.

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2008, 08:10:39 AM »
Ok...then allow Israel to stand on her own two feet. I bet we could broker a deal that we would cease support to the Saudi's and forrces elections.... and force the establishment of a Palestinian state. In return everybody recognizes Israel and Iran needs to be delt with, one way or another. Nobody else in the Middle East wants a nuclear Iran....that means everybody else will want them. The Saudi government is hanging by a thread...a nuclear SA that falls to the nutbags will be a huge disaster.

Great points that will most likely fall to way side as the e-surgent propaganda fills this thread.

No one seems to recognize the fact that outside of Syria, the rest of the Middle East hates Iran and doesn't want them meddling in foreign affairs either. They're scared to death of Iran getting nuclear weapons and becoming the main power in that region.

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2008, 08:17:37 AM »

We allowed Israel to become nuclear so none of those options are realistic. It would be less frustrating if we learned from our mistakes or even admitted them. :)

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2008, 08:26:59 AM »
Ok...then allow Israel to stand on her own two feet. ...
That will never happen.  The US uses Israel for its own benefit.  Anytime there's been a difference in opinion btn the US Gov. and the Israeli lobby, the lobby has always backed down and kept its collective mouth shut. 

It's important to note that the Israeli lobby in the US does not run things.  The US has been the big daddy in this relationship and it will be into the future. 

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2008, 08:29:51 AM »
We allowed Israel to become nuclear so none of those options are realistic. It would be less frustrating if we learned from our mistakes or even admitted them. :)

If we stopped supporting Israel, nothing would change.  :D

Israel and Egypt get along just fine. Oh gee, Egypt is also more civilized than the rest of the middle east. Only extremists seem to have a problem, which brings me to my point of islam being the real problem in the middle east.

That will never happen.  The US uses Israel for its own benefit.  Anytime there's been a difference in opinion btn the US Gov. and the Israeli lobby, the lobby has always backed down and kept its collective mouth shut. 

It's important to note that the Israeli lobby in the US does not run things.  The US has been the big daddy in this relationship and it will be into the future. 

The only people who say it's not are those looking for a reason to hate Israel. Anyone with an IQ over 50 knows who the boss in that relationship is. Then again, I wouldn't suspect most Getbiggers to actually have an IQ over 50.  :-\

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2008, 08:46:09 AM »

The only people who say it's not are those looking for a reason to hate Israel. Anyone with an IQ over 50 knows who the boss in that relationship is. Then again, I wouldn't suspect most Getbiggers to actually have an IQ over 50.  :-\
I suspect you are right....the Jews run everything!  That sounds pretty nuts.