Author Topic: Met Lee Priest today in Sydney - April 20/08. Photos.  (Read 19193 times)

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
Met Lee Priest today in Sydney - April 20/08. Photos.
« on: April 20, 2008, 02:55:17 AM »
Lee was at the Fitness Trade Show in Sydney. I was there checking out some of the new gym equipment. Some lads from my gym said Lee was there so I went over and caught him just before he was leaving for Newcastle, which is about 2 hours north. I introduced myself then told him I was sorry that he lost his grandfather. He appreciated that. The funeral is tomorrow.

He knew I had been arguing with Bob Chick on Getbig! So there you are.

I managed to get a photo with Lee but instead of arms folded he did the thumbs up pose just for the lads here. He said it was okay to put the photo up here. I hope to catch up with Lee before he heads back to the USA in about a month.

Perhaps we can get him to come down to see my gym and the equipment that I have made. Anyway, he was very agreeable and was signing magazines and posing for photos. Nice to finally catch up with Lee. His mates seemed to think he won't be able to compete in the IFBB this year. I never verified that with Lee.

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
Re: Met Lee Priest today in Sydney - April 20/08. Photos.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 02:58:49 AM »
Classic thumbs up pose, as usual.

SGT BARNES

• Getbig IV
  • crush your enemies, see them driven before you
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 03:02:48 AM »
bloated and sweaty

affeman

• Getbig V
  • Rusty Trombone looks like an abortion in a thong
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 03:04:30 AM »
bloodpressure 400:200

io856

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 03:19:34 AM »
Forearm hair like a real man!

It was a cold day in sydney today right?

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 03:27:15 AM »
Great pics, lees looking huge as always.

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 04:00:32 AM »
I take it Lee does not know you are "Hank Wood"  :D

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 04:33:52 AM »
I asked Lee who he thought Hank Wood was. Apparently it might be someone in Canberra and not Newcastle like I guessed. So, neither of us have a clue who that person is.

It was a wet but mild day in Sydney today. A bit warm inside the Exhibition Centre.

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2008, 04:44:37 AM »
I asked Lee who he thought Hank Wood was. Apparently it might be someone in Canberra and not Newcastle like I guessed. So, neither of us have a clue who that person is.

It was a wet but mild day in Sydney today. A bit warm inside the Exhibition Centre.

popeye forearm.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2008, 04:53:51 AM »
Great job Vince. Hey I never knew you looked so good in your heyday. Congrats on that. I believe Lee is doing what he does best,bodybuilding. At the same time I actually believe he is one of the more conservative pro's when it comes to taking care of his body, he does stay ON almost all the time, but instead of criticizing, we should appreciate that he always shows up big and in decent shape. Everyone likes to see Lee big as a house but when GH15 comes here and tells us what it takes to stay that big, we start criticizing him. It's the nature of the beast.

On a different note, I am curious Vince what's your take on designing new equipment as I would like to try building a few pieces myself, mostly basic stuff...You have much more expirience than I do so I appreciate your input.

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2008, 04:56:22 AM »

Im only reving you up big guy..But yes I to think Hank is an Ozzie.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2008, 05:06:03 AM »
Instead of making your own gym equipment buy used stuff. There is plenty that comes on the market when gyms close or upgrade. Watch out on line or in the papers for auctions. The second hand machines go for peanuts. Trust me on that because I have equipped several gyms in the past. When some machines were offered for sale they sold for perhaps 1/10th to 1/3 of the original price. I made my machines to last for a very long time so they don't wear out except for the paint, cables and upholsery. Most gyms don't want the older stuff so you can get them for a bargain.

An example, I repurchased 3 machines I made about 20 years ago for $1000. Included were a leg extension, leg curl and a standing calf machine with an 800 pound weight stack. If you check what steel costs you will see that the calf machine costs way more than $1000 just for the materials. I sold those machines for over $10,000 when they were new.

I will see if I can find a photo of it for you.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2008, 05:14:02 AM »
Instead of making your own gym equipment buy used stuff. There is plenty that comes on the market when gyms close or upgrade. Watch out on line or in the papers for auctions. The second hand machines go for peanuts. Trust me on that because I have equipped several gyms in the past. When some machines were offered for sale they sold for perhaps 1/10th to 1/3 of the original price. I made my machines to last for a very long time so they don't wear out except for the paint, cables and upholsery. Most gyms don't want the older stuff so you can get them for a bargain.

An example, I repurchased 3 machines I made about 20 years ago for $1000. Included were a leg extension, leg curl and a standing calf machine with an 800 pound weight stack. If you check what steel costs you will see that the calf machine costs way more than $1000 just for the materials. I sold those machines for over $10,000 when they were new.

I will see if I can find a photo of it for you.

So second hand purchase will run me lower than building it myself ?...thanx Vince....I'll post a few photos of what I find...

just_a_pilgrim

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2008, 05:20:14 AM »
Damm i would have gone if i knew Lee was there.

I went to the expo 7 years ago and saw Dex and Jay. Last time i went a few years ago it was pretty boring though i thought it was funny all these supposed 'fitness' people walking outside for a cigarette.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2008, 05:32:38 AM »
It is always interesting to see the mix of people who attend these trade shows. There were lots of instructors mingling around. Lots of nice girls demonstrating the machines.

I was there when Dex and Jay manned a booth together. Got a photo somewhere. I think even then Dexter felt he was better than Jay.

Here is a lovely personal trainer from Fitness First. Ellie is her name. 6'1'' really nice girl.

io856

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2008, 05:34:16 AM »
she is very pretty

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2008, 05:36:20 AM »
I live in Sydney, i should have gone. I would have gone if i knew Lee was going to be there.
No doubt about it...

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2008, 05:39:16 AM »
Excellent report, Vince.  :)

/i note that not only do you have a fanny pack, it is double-strapped!? you da man!  :o 

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2008, 05:40:25 AM »
Excellent report, Vince.  :)

/i note that not only do you have a fanny pack, it is double-strapped!? you da man!  :o 

lol, i noticed that too.

Though here in Aus we refer to them as "bum bags"
No doubt about it...

just_a_pilgrim

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2008, 05:41:40 AM »
I live in Sydney, i should have gone. I would have gone if i knew Lee was going to be there.

Have you ever been to a trade show in Hong Kong or China? I went to one in Hong Kong about 3 years ago it took me 2.5 days to see the whole thing (gift & homewares). In the exhibition centre at Darling Harbour you can see it all in an hour tops. Parking Sucks.

That's why us Sydneysiders don't really care that much about a small expo.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2008, 05:42:36 AM »
You young guys have it made. There were no co-ed gyms when I was going to university. Now you have heaps of great gals going to gyms and working in gyms.

I met Ellie on Friday while she was demonstrating some Technogym cardio machines. I struck up a conversation and she was a honey. I told her I hoped all the girls survived until Sunday and they were sore this morning. She has a boyfriend so I wasn't coming on to her. Just a lovely young woman.

The other strap is my camera bag.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2008, 05:45:00 AM »
Have you ever been to a trade show in Hong Kong or China? I went to one in Hong Kong about 3 years ago it took me 2.5 days to see the whole thing (gift & homewares). In the exhibition centre at Darling Harbour you can see it all in an hour tops. Parking Sucks.

That's why us Sydneysiders don't really care that much about a small expo.

I didnt even know it was on. I might have gone as i did nothing today. Probably would have caught the train instead of driving.
No doubt about it...

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2008, 05:50:01 AM »
Bodybuilders aren't really catered to at these trade shows. You see a few muscleheads walking around. A few muscle gals, too. I like the gals who combine some muscle with curves and who have great legs.

There were all sorts of booths there that had nothing to do with lifting weights. Gyms have evolved to be heaps of different things. I get a kick out of seeing the new gimmicks each year. Sometimes I see new ideas for pieces of gym equipment. My members are always asking for new stuff. I would rather buy good equipment than have to build it. I don't copy anyone so it is a big job to design and build something new.

I swear most of the booths could have been from a different convention as far as I was concerned. The demonstrations today had nothing to do with muscle, either. Just people and kids jumping around and stretching. The public have a different perception of fitness and these companies are catering to those needs. A lot of the big equipment companies weren't there. Nautilus and Cybex were not there. A pity.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2008, 05:57:07 AM »
I introduced myself then told him I was sorry that he lost his grandfather. He appreciated that. The funeral is tomorrow.

Tell Lee that a lot of us are sorry for ihs loss. I know he was very fond of his grandparents. Hopefully, we will see him on stage at th e 2009 Ironman here in Los Angeles.

Swedish Viking

• Getbig IV
  • http://plunkan.blogspot.com/
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2008, 06:00:24 AM »
That face tattoo is looking very light for some reason...wonder if he is in the removal process.  Just wondering...