Author Topic: Paper Shut Down After Report Vladimir Putin Divorced Wife to Marry Gymnast  (Read 1628 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Man.  God bless America and the First Amendment. 

Paper Shut Down After Report Vladimir Putin Divorced Wife to Marry Gymnast
Sunday, April 20, 2008

A newspaper that defied the Kremlin by reporting that President Vladimir Putin was planning to marry an Olympic gold medal-winning rhythmic gymnast half his age was shut down Saturday.

The closure of Moskovski Korrespondent, whose editor Grigori Nekhoroshev was forced to resign, was a sharp reminder of the perils of invoking Kremlin displeasure.

Rumors of a romance between Putin, 55, and Alina Kabaeva, 24, who is also an MP in his party, have been circulating in Moscow for months, but until last week no one had dared to print them.

The paper admitted there was no factual basis for its claim that Putin had already divorced Ludmilla, 50, his wife of 24 years, and would marry Kabaeva in June, shortly after stepping down as president and becoming prime minister. It cited information from a party planner who claimed to be bidding to organize the lavish reception.

• Click here to view photos.

Both Putin and Kabaeva denied the report, which was followed up by European newspapers but ignored by Russia’s media, which do not delve into the private lives of politicians.

RelatedStories
Vladimir Putin Denies Reports He Divorced Wife to Marry Gymnast “I thought we should run the story to help break the taboo,” said Nekhoroshev. He paid a swift penalty for his daring: the paper, owned by Alexander Lebedev, the billionaire tycoon, ceased publication immediately.

Its parent firm blamed “costs” and “conceptual disagreements with the newsroom” but insisted in a statement that “this has nothing to do with politics and is solely a business decision”.

Few in Russia will believe that. The closure came a few hours after Putin had said during a visit to Sardinia that there was not a word of truth in the story and derided the “snotty noses and erotic fantasies” of the journalists concerned. So protective is the president of his private life that the Russian public has not seen his daughters since he came to power eight years ago.

“Our director came to the newsroom and told us we were being shut down,” said Nekhoroshev, who sounded shaken. “As far as the story is concerned I’ve full faith in my correspondents.”

Kabaeva, who is famed for her “extreme natural flexibility," had threatened to sue. Her high profile as a sporting pin-up has been enhanced by photographs showing her wearing nothing but furs, but she has spoken of her strong political ambitions.

During Putin’s presidency, the Kremlin has brought all the television channels under its control and become highly sensitive to criticism in the press.

Lebedev, who had ordered his editors to stand up the story with some facts or apologize – they apologized – may now come under further pressure. He also owns Novaya Gazeta, a paper fiercely critical of the Kremlin.

“It just goes to show what a terrible state the Russian media is in after eight years of Putin’s regime,” said Oleg Panfilov, an analyst. “It is so cowed that one just needs to bark at it to see it hide under a table.”

At least Putin, who burnished his macho image by posing bare-chested on a fishing trip last year, saw the funny side of his new-found reputation as a ladies’ man. Relishing a question from a friendly reporter about his supposed engagement, he declared that he fancies all Russian women: “It won’t come as a surprise if I say that I like them all, the most talented and beautiful in the world.”

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,351860,00.html

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
Man.  God bless America and the First Amendment. 

Best country on Earth.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)

War-Horse

• Getbig V
Yeah, divorce and corruption never happen here.

Fury

• Getbig V
Yeah, divorce and corruption never happen here.

You are easily the biggest baby on this forum. Change your tampon and stfu, clown. We get it, you hate America.  ::)

Show me an instance of George Bush shutting down a major American paper for calling him an idiot? If not, stick your foot back in your mouth.

War-Horse

• Getbig V
You are easily the biggest baby on this forum. Change your tampon and stfu, clown. We get it, you hate America.  ::)

Show me an instance of George Bush shutting down a major American paper for calling him an idiot? If not, stick your foot back in your mouth.

Fucktard of the century...easy win for you.

Fury

• Getbig V

Fucktard of the century...easy win for you.

You nominated yourself for it, wannbe pseudo-intellectual? We get it, you despise everything about America. Now go ahead and show me one instance of a major newspaper being shut down for insulting the President. Good luck with that.

War-Horse

• Getbig V
You nominated yourself for it, wannbe pseudo-intellectual? We get it, you despise everything about America. Now go ahead and show me one instance of a major newspaper being shut down for insulting the President. Good luck with that.

What a fvckin lame-o you are.    "You nominated yourself for it"   If your gonna attack someone be ready to play, you botched abortion.

As for info on political corruption look a up a thousand threads on republican bathroom stall hopping.........

Fury

• Getbig V

What a fvckin lame-o you are.    "You nominated yourself for it"   If your gonna attack someone be ready to play, you botched abortion.

As for info on political corruption look a up a thousand threads on republican bathroom stall hopping.........

Play with the big boys? You're the biggest moron on this board. Actually putting effort into making you smash your keyboard would be a waste of time on my part. I don't think I've seen you provide one shred of factual evidence in any thread you post in. You just rail against the US because the country obviously shit on you somewhere in your life.

I'm still waiting for you to show me one instance of the government shutting down a newspaper for insulting the President. Come on clown. Back up something with some evidence for once.

War-Horse

• Getbig V
Play with the big boys? You're the biggest moron on this board. Actually putting effort into making you smash your keyboard would be a waste of time on my part. I don't think I've seen you provide one shred of factual evidence in any thread you post in. You just rail against the US because the country obviously shit on you somewhere in your life.

I'm still waiting for you to show me one instance of the government shutting down a newspaper for insulting the President. Come on clown. Back up something with some evidence for once.

You dont read very well, do you?     Fvcktard of the century.

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
When will I find a nice Russian girl to settle down with?
S

Fury

• Getbig V

You dont read very well, do you?     Fvcktard of the century.

You were trying to take yet another whiny dig at America.

I only skim your posts. They're usually teary eyed anti-US tirades complete with no factual evidence and mostly spewing propaganda. But it's kind of funny watching you act like you're the answer to the economy, Iraq and everything else wrong with America.  ;D

War-Horse

• Getbig V
You were trying to take yet another whiny dig at America.

I only skim your posts. They're usually teary eyed anti-US tirades complete with no factual evidence and mostly spewing propaganda. But it's kind of funny watching you act like you're the answer to the economy, Iraq and everything else wrong with America.  ;D

Your welcome.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.

War-Horse

• Getbig V
I love dissidents.  ;D

Yes. Very charming...

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
only thing you don't see in American newspapers are the real stories that matter.

so whether or not an American newspaper gets shut down is irrelevant because American news media has been suppressed for many years and isn't reporting the truth to begin with. It has already been shut down and made into a circus.

War-Horse

• Getbig V
only thing you don't see in American newspapers are the real stories that matter.

so whether or not an American newspaper gets shut down is irrelevant because American news media has been suppressed for many years and isn't reporting the truth to begin with. It has already been shut down and made into a circus.

You have put intelligence into this thead.  Thats very offensive. ;D

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith

You have put intelligence into this thead.  Thats very offensive. ;D

LOL

and hardly anyone realizes it.

Any of you seen The Wire? I didn't need to watch The Wire to realize this. It's depiction of reality is amazing.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
In USA we have freedom of speech and freedom of media.

yes, around 85% of media is owned by 5 companies, and they all 'play ball'.

But the other 15% is free to say anything they want, which is what makes the USA great.

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
In USA we have freedom of speech and freedom of media.

yes, around 85% of media is owned by 5 companies, and they all 'play ball'.

But the other 15% is free to say anything they want, which is what makes the USA great.

People get the news they want to read and hear what they want to hear.

Like the saying goes, "The individual is smart - people are stupid."