Author Topic: bodybuilding IS a sport  (Read 4813 times)

The Coach

Re: bodybuilding IS a sport
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2008, 10:24:27 PM »
are you going to make me post another pic of john daly ::)

besides trey is offseason

E

Daly makes Brewer look like Frank Zane!

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2008, 10:25:33 PM »
In hunting the skill is what makes or breaks you, there is no such thing in bodybuilding... yea it helps to pose gracefully but your placings don't depend on it entirely. Therefore, IMO it is ridiculous toc all bodybuilding a sport.

sitting in a tree stand armed with a high powered rifle takes skill?

I hunted as a kid and i can tell you that's all i did, I hunted from 12 -16 and got a buck every year

ask jay cutler about how posing affected his placing at the 2001 olympia

ask paul dillet how it affected his placings

E
E

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2008, 10:26:13 PM »
In hunting the skill is what makes or breaks you, there is no such thing in bodybuilding... yea it helps to pose gracefully but your placings don't depend on it entirely. Therefore, IMO it is ridiculous toc all bodybuilding a sport.

Don't forget, that like WWE or you're favorite show or movie (or figure skating for that matter), the results are predetermined. One of the flaws of comp. bbing is it's crooked judging. Unlike real/legitimate sports, there is now way to pick up points/advantage.
HAHA, RON.....

Moosejay

« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2008, 10:26:33 PM »
Hunting DOES require skill. Most things do. But unless your kind of hunting is the kind where you chase your prey with a spear, knife, or bow and arrow, it does not require athleticism.

I like the kind of hunting where the animals get guns, too.... ;)

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2008, 10:26:40 PM »
BBing IS a sport, but also can be considered an art form, hobby, pagaent, etc.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2008, 10:26:45 PM »
Daly makes Brewer look like Frank Zane!

daly has zero muscle ::)

E

E

Moosejay

« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2008, 10:28:01 PM »
Don't forget, that like WWE or you're favorite show or movie (or figure skating for that matter), the results are predetermined. One of the flaws of comp. bbing is it's crooked judging. Unlike real/legitimate sports, there is now way to pick up points/advantage.

In that case, boxing is akin to bb...dependent on the opinion of judges...

gordiano

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2008, 10:28:10 PM »
I like the kind of hunting where the animals get guns, too.... ;)

Thank you! That always pisses off these "bad ass" hunters with their fucking rifles......
HAHA, RON.....

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2008, 10:28:22 PM »
sitting in a tree stand armed with a high powered rifle takes skill?

I hunted as a kid and i can tell you that's all i did, I hunted from 12 -16 and got a buck every year

ask jay cutler about how posing affected his placing at the 2001 olympia

ask paul dillet how it affected his placings

E
what is the central skillt o bodybuilding?

In bow hunting, u have to have good aim, timing, etc.

In bodybuilding the central part takes place not on stage but in the preparations leading upto it. You don't lift things on stage. You don't eat right on stage. You jsut stand up there for the judges to judge your physique, and u manage to present your physique in a way that is acceptable.

I'm not taking anything away from bodybuilding, just that categorising it as a sport is unnecessary.
follow the arrows

gordiano

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2008, 10:30:20 PM »
In that case, boxing is akin to bb...dependent on the opinion of judges...

Not quite. In boxing you have knock outs, there is NO such thing in bbing. You can also keep track of punches, knockdowns, et cetera. In bbing, the BEST man, does not always win. Ask Rusty Jeffers about that. Ask Dennis Wolf.....
HAHA, RON.....

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2008, 10:30:50 PM »

you pick up points/advantage by posing better than the other guy

at the 2001 olympia jay barely beat ronnie in the physique rounds but ronnie "picked up points" by putting on a far superior posing routine and gained enough to pull out the win

E
E

gordiano

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2008, 10:32:29 PM »
The funny irony about "Buffet" Trey Brewer, is that he was once an athlete (played Football), and has now just become an obese drug abuser, that likely couldn't run up 3 flights of stairs.
HAHA, RON.....

Moosejay

« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2008, 10:34:28 PM »
Not quite. In boxing you have knock outs, there is NO such thing in bbing. You can also keep track of punches, knockdowns, et cetera. In bbing, the BEST man, does not always win. Ask Rusty Jeffers about that. Ask Dennis Wolf.....

Yes, thought of that...but not ALWAYS a knockout. And keeping track is inexact science at best, and subject to conjecture.

PS: My OPINION is that Bob C deserved the pro masters win...I sat ring side at that one. And Wolf was robbed when they gave the NY pro to Branch...again, my opinion

gordiano

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2008, 10:35:27 PM »
you pick up points/advantage by posing better than the other guy

at the 2001 olympia jay barely beat ronnie in the physique rounds but ronnie "picked up points" by putting on a far superior posing routine and gained enough to pull out the win

E

Please Earl....since when do the best "posers" place higher? I'm not sure he most recent Mr. O's would even be considered more than decent posers.
HAHA, RON.....

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2008, 10:36:01 PM »
what is the central skillt o bodybuilding?

In bow hunting, u have to have good aim, timing, etc.

In bodybuilding the central part takes place not on stage but in the preparations leading upto it. You don't lift things on stage. You don't eat right on stage. You jsut stand up there for the judges to judge your physique, and u manage to present your physique in a way that is acceptable.

I'm not taking anything away from bodybuilding, just that categorising it as a sport is unnecessary.

flexing all of your muscles simultaneously as hard as you can for an extended period of time without losing your balance and holding a straight face is not something that can be done without practice

like i told you before go in to your bathroom hit a most muscular as hard as you can and hold it for 10 seconds, tell me that isn't harder on your body than pointing a gun and shooting

E
E

Moosejay

« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2008, 10:37:04 PM »
Very, very rarely has posing figured in to determine winners. ONLY if an entrant failed to do mandatories, or blatantly posed like a chimp....

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2008, 10:37:57 PM »
Please Earl....since when do the best "posers" place higher? I'm not sure he most recent Mr. O's would even be considered more than decent posers.

the system is not perfect but it has been proven numerous times that posing determined the final outcome

posing counted far more in the past, i'm not denying that bodybuilding is fucked up today

E
E

Moosejay

« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2008, 10:38:44 PM »

flexing all of your muscles simultaneously as hard as you can for an extended period of time without losing your balance and holding a straight face is not something that can be done without practice

like i told you before go in to your bathroom hit a most muscular as hard as you can and hold it for 10 seconds, tell me that isn't harder on your body than pointing a gun and shooting

E

Put it this way...ask any bb ( I know this from experience)...the day after a show, you will feel as though you have gone through the most intense and excrutiating workout ever. That is the taxation on your musculoskeletal system.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2008, 10:39:56 PM »
Very, very rarely has posing figured in to determine winners. ONLY if an entrant failed to do mandatories, or blatantly posed like a chimp....

again ask jay or dillet

according to the judges ronnie easily won the 2002 olympia until Mr. Levrone put on a routine that seems to be talked about more than any other routine over the past 10 years

E
E

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2008, 10:41:38 PM »

E
u gotta be kidding me man, funniest thing I have heard in a while  ;D

Earl, bodybuilding is not an easy undertaking but the physicality of bodybuilding is only in appearance... as far as posing goes it is pretty much an even playing field, as you don't need to be the best poser in the world to be good bodybuilder.. just take Ronnie Coleman as an example, 8 time mister olympia.

Being a good bodybuilder is respectable, but he's far from an athlete bud ;D
follow the arrows

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #70 on: April 20, 2008, 10:43:59 PM »
u gotta be kidding me man, funniest thing I have heard in a while  ;D

Earl, bodybuilding is not an easy undertaking but the physicality of bodybuilding is only in appearance... as far as posing goes it is pretty much an even playing field, as you don't need to be the best poser in the world to be good bodybuilder.. just take Ronnie Coleman as an example, 8 time mister olympia.

Being a good bodybuilder is respectable, but he's far from an athlete bud ;D

by definiton they are athletes

and ronnie is a good poser, not the best but pretty good

did you hit that 10 second most muscular yet?

E
E

gordiano

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2008, 10:45:33 PM »
I remember the last time this sort of argument came up, some guy tried to tell me that Tiger could be an NFL walk-on CB.  ;D ::)
HAHA, RON.....

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: April 20, 2008, 10:46:21 PM »

E

The posing round is bullshit. Isn't it funny how the best posers somehow still place chronologically lower in score in the Posing Round than every competitor infront of him? Come on now...

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2008, 10:46:45 PM »
by definiton they are athletes

and ronnie is a good poser, not the best but pretty good

did you hit that 10 second most muscular yet?

E

no bodybuilder is tested on how awesomely he can hold a pose for 10 sec ;D

you're using some vague definition, no one else agrees with it. I won't try to convince u anymore so u can think what u want... though the thought of bodybuilders being athletes is hilarious ;D
follow the arrows

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2008, 10:47:23 PM »
The posing round is bullshit. Isn't it funny how the best posers somehow still place chronologically lower in score in the Posing Round than every competitor infront of him? Come on now...

are you talking about the guys that get on stage and dance?

E
E