Author Topic: ACLU weighs in on Texas polygamist custody case  (Read 5231 times)

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
Re: ACLU weighs in on Texas polygamist custody case
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2008, 07:07:59 AM »
This sounds like the Waco incident (David Koresh) in some ways.  At least as far as probable cause is concerned.

Decker, what is your opinion on how the federal government handled that?

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2008, 07:15:04 AM »
Decker, what is your opinion on how the federal government handled that?

I thought it was handled in the worst possible way.  Team Clinton couldn't have screwed that up more if it tried.  Governmental heads should have rolled on that one.  That's the least that could have been done for the murders committed.

What's your take?

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2008, 07:18:19 AM »
I thought it was handled in the worst possible way.  Team Clinton couldn't have screwed that up more if it tried.  Governmental heads should have rolled on that one.  That's the least that could have been done for the murders committed.

What's your take?

Pretty much the same. Add the Gonzales fiasco in Miami and Reno has quite the colorful resume.

Edit: Since that happened way back in '93 I only remembered the "highlights". Took the time to research the events that took place to refresh my memory. What a clusterfvck.

And people wonder why a growing number of citizens don't trust their government.  :-\

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2008, 07:38:12 AM »
Pretty much the same. Add the Gonzales fiasco in Miami and Reno has quite the colorful resume.

Did you see Janet Reno appear on SNL?  I bet the Waco people didn't think she was that funny.  I mean if they were still alive.

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2008, 07:40:33 AM »
Did you see Janet Reno appear on SNL?  I bet the Waco people didn't think she was that funny.  I mean if they were still alive.

Only when Will Ferrell spoofed her.  :)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2008, 07:55:10 AM »

hahahahaha

remember when the helicopter pics came out later, that showed the FBI firing inciniderary devices?

lol.. and remember when they MELTED the door because all the bullet holes were going IN?

oh, and the best part, when they bulldozed and BURIED the entire compound the NEXT DAY without investigating a thing.

oh man, I bet those waco people were ROFLing at that one.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2008, 08:08:59 AM »

hahahahaha

remember when the helicopter pics came out later, that showed the FBI firing inciniderary devices?

lol.. and remember when they MELTED the door because all the bullet holes were going IN?

oh, and the best part, when they bulldozed and BURIED the entire compound the NEXT DAY without investigating a thing.

oh man, I bet those waco people were ROFLing at that one.
Could be. . .a cover up!

Bill Hicks drove to the Waco Compound site and did a running commentary on it.

"If the FBI's motivating factor for busting down the Koresh compound was child abuse, how come we never see Bradley tanks smashing into Catholic churches?"

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2008, 08:19:09 AM »
Could be. . .a cover up!

Bill Hicks drove to the Waco Compound site and did a running commentary on it.

"If the FBI's motivating factor for busting down the Koresh compound was child abuse, how come we never see Bradley tanks smashing into Catholic churches?"

BWAHAHAHAHAHA

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2008, 08:42:47 AM »
LMAO...

have you ever seen a crime scene where dozens died, where they did no crime scene analysis?  They just toted out the bodies, then they bulldozed it. 

I can only think of one other crime scene in history where they didn't follow federal law...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2008, 08:12:00 PM »
Good article about some of the legal issues:

Posted on Sun, May. 04, 2008
The FLDS argument will not hold up
By MARCI HAMILTONSpecial to the Star-Telegram

When Texas authorities entered the Yearning for Zion (YFZ) Ranch, one of the Fundamentalist Latter Day Saints (FLDS) compounds, on April 3, they did so using a warrant based on calls from a person who alleged that she was an underage girl being subjected to physical and sexual abuse, including rape, at the ranch.

Once the authorities entered, they discovered pregnant underage girls, girls with more than one child, papers indicating that rampant polygamy was occurring at YFZ, and even a document involving cyanide poisoning. The authorities then intelligently decided to remove all of the children from a situation that posed obvious and serious danger to them.

Lawyers for the FLDS members have been arguing in the press that the entry and removal of the children constituted a "massive" violation of due process. Others have argued that the authorities' actions represent the unfair targeting of one religion.

Each of these arguments is singularly misguided.

The due-process argument

Whether or not the caller was legitimate, the important point is the lack of any government misconduct and the serious evidence of crimes to children.

There are now allegations that the calls to the authorities spurring the raid were placed by a woman who was not within the YFZ compound. Even if proven, however, this claim would not affect the validity of the authorities' actions.

Absent clear evidence that the state fabricated the call or misled the judge who granted the initial search warrant, neither of which seems remotely plausible, the entry cannot be faulted on constitutional grounds. Once the authorities were inside, the evidence of criminal behavior was so plainly apparent that further investigation was more than warranted.

No self-respecting child protective agency could have departed from that compound without taking all of the children away. The authorities revealed last week that 31 out of the 53 underage YFZ girls have been pregnant and/or are pregnant. Imminent risk of harm -- the legal standard that bound the authorities -- was apparent; indeed, a decision to leave the children in that setting would have opened up the state to liability.

The key point here is that children were being abused and were very likely to be abused in the future. And, worse, this was occurring in an atmosphere in which the adults seemed incapable of apprehending the depth of the criminal behavior in question.

It is just as though the state had entered a drug den on the basis of reports about one child's abuse and discovered a bevy of children in a position likely to lead to neglect and mistreatment. In such a hypothetical, surely no one would contest the appropriateness of removing the children. The religious cloak does not forestall the proper operation of the child protective authorities.

Despite the large number of children who were taken, what happened in Eldorado is no different from any other situation in which the state investigates alleged abuse, substantiates a risk of harm and takes action to protect all those children who might be subject to such harm. Arguments that children should not be separated from their mothers simply have no purchase when it is apparent that the mothers are incapable of protecting their children from sexual or other abuse, or unwilling to do so.

Before criticizing the Texas authorities who have witnessed the operation of the FLDS firsthand, one must stop to think about what was going on in this compound. This is a conspiracy of adults to commit systematic child sex abuse, where the men and the women force their girls to be "married" to much older men in order to have many children, and where they groom their boys to be the next generation of abusers, and then abandon some of their own boys in order to keep the numbers favorable for the abusing men.

What is most striking is that not a single adult from the ranch or the sect has been willing to admit to the obvious cycle of severe child sexual abuse. One of the most chilling statements I have ever heard -- and I have focused upon organizational child abuse, including within the Roman Catholic Church -- was that of the mother who would not answer a reporter's question about whether girls were married off to much older men, but rather asserted that whatever happened there happened out of "love."

Widespread knowledge exists about the practices of the FLDS Church, which has been practicing polygamy and child sex abuse for more than a century. This organization traces its roots to the founder of Mormonism, Joseph Smith, who mandated polygamy in the mid-19th century. (The mainstream Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, or Mormon Church, publicly renounced the practice at the end of the 19th century.)

FLDS members reside not only at YFZ but also at compounds in Arizona, Utah, South Dakota and British Columbia. The recent Utah trial of FLDS prophet Warren Jeffs documented the practice of elders arranging and encouraging the sexual abuse of underage girls. (Jeffs was ultimately apprehended for his brazen Mann Act violations, consisting of transporting girls across state and international boundaries to be delivered to FLDS men, after the FBI finally placed him on its 10-most-wanted list.) So did the earlier trial of Tom Green in Utah.

Moreover, numerous well-documented publications have detailed terrifying and illegal behaviors, including Carolyn Jessops' Escape, her account of escaping the sect; Andrea Emmitt Moore's account of 10 fundamentalist polygamist sects, God's Brothel; and Jon Krakauer's Under the Banner of Heaven. I wrote about the FLDS in my book God vs. the Gavel: Religion and the Rule of Law and have been writing columns on the FLDS for years.

If the already-disseminated knowledge about the FLDS is not enough, there were reports last week alleging an FLDS baby graveyard with 200 graves between the Arizona and Utah compounds. Advocates are telling us that these graves are the result of brutal abuse of young children to obtain their obedience, and probably medical neglect and the genetic deformities that result from generations of inbreeding.

Yet many have asserted a violation of due process, as though the authorities are required to be intentionally ignorant about communities within their jurisdiction.

FLDS lawyers have been floating to the media and public the bizarre notion that authorities were required to enter the compound with a mental blank slate, as though they knew absolutely nothing about the FLDS. It is a position that defies common sense.

Although authorities need probable cause for a particular raid, they do not have to act stupid once they are inside a criminal organization, whether it is a religious group, the mob or a drug cartel. It is law enforcement's obligation to be informed about likely criminal conduct in their jurisdiction. That includes orchestrated child abuse.

One must give the Texas authorities credit for putting the interests of the children first. Utah and the FBI have focused on one man at a time, an approach that appears to have done next to nothing to stop the entrenched cycle of abuse within the system. Authorities in Arizona, Utah and South Dakota, where other FLDS compounds are situated, have made it very clear that they would never follow the Texas authorities' lead of taking all of the children away from obvious danger.

Indeed, the Utah attorney general was peeved that Texas would make such a bold move, because it could undermine his increasingly friendly relations with the FLDS in Utah. Arizona's attorney general sent out a news release essentially telling Arizonans not to expect any dramatic rescue of children obviously at high risk of abuse, because Arizona law just does not permit it.

The latter has yet to explain precisely why he believes that children at imminent risk of harm cannot be brought to safety in that state. (And if he believes that is the law, surely he should call for a change in it!) In South Dakota, the authorities say they are awaiting some triggering event that will permit them to check on the girls and women.

It really is remarkable: American law enforcement routinely infiltrates criminal organizations in which the issues are drugs and money, but when the issue is widespread child abuse, they "have to" sit on their hands until somehow, some way one of those on the inside of a cult invites them inside.

If any court finds that the rescue of the FLDS children -- in light of the evidence gathered on the basis of a good-faith warrant during the raid and the evidence now piling up -- is a due process violation, it will be a giant step backward for the civil rights of children everywhere. Let's hope that erroneous ruling will never be made.

Predictably, the American Civil Liberties Union has chosen to take the side in opposition to the children, publicly wringing its hands over the process as it applies to the adults. It is one of the most underexamined phenomena in the American civil rights movement that the organization that has considered itself such a champion of individual rights has had such a consistently insensitive attitude toward the bodily suffering of children.

We are in the midst of a civil rights movement for children, yet the ACLU is woefully lagging behind.

The free exercise argument

The even weaker argument circulating, once again encouraged by the FLDS lawyers, is that the rescue somehow violated the FLDS' freedom of religion. There are two underlying theories, neither of which has much traction -- for good reason, because both should be quickly dismissed as totally unconvincing.

First, the FLDS argue that they have been "targeted" in violation of the First Amendment. The argument takes a First Amendment concept and grossly misapplies it.

The government cannot choose a particular religion to be treated differently from other religious (or similarly situated secular) organizations, but the government is not prohibited from stopping criminal conduct even if the only ones engaging in the behavior are religious or if the conduct is restricted to a religious organization's property. In short, a government may not discriminate against a group, but the Constitution does not force authorities to willfully close their eyes to criminal conduct.

This raid was about child abuse. It is no different from authorities entering a drug den or a private home where there are credible accounts of abuse. The child protective services universe is sufficiently stable by now that whoever is sexually abusing a child can be made to stop.

The best interest of the child determines government action. That is obviously what is happening in this case, and the attempts to misleadingly shift the focus to the perpetrators' religious identity is not justified by law or basic decency. There is simply no religious defense to criminal behavior. That this behavior was so heinous makes using the cover of religion all the more appalling.

Second, the FLDS argues that the government simply cannot interfere with a religious enclave and that it should have autonomy from the government's interference.

This latter theory has been touted by more mainstream religious organizations in recent years, especially those battling clergy abuse, but courts have not had much patience with the notion that autonomy includes a right to abuse children. I would hope that the mainstream religious organizations that have been pushing "church autonomy" are having second thoughts as they watch this particular group embrace their vision to justify systemic and systematic child sexual abuse.

Finally, some would argue that the age of sex and marriage is merely "cultural," and therefore the government has no business interfering with this sort of religious group. That argument is hopelessly behind the times, as it treats children as property rather than persons. It was not long ago that they were, in essence, nothing but property.

The Texas authorities give one hope that children are moving surely and steadily into the category of persons -- persons who have civil rights that protect their bodily integrity against adults who would use their position of power to take what these children cannot freely give.

Marci Hamilton is author of Justice Denied: What America Must Do to Protect Its Children. A version of this essay was originally published at findlaw.com, where you can find an archive of her columns on ch

http://www.star-telegram.com/245/story/620718.html

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2008, 07:11:53 AM »
Good article about some of the legal issues:

When Texas authorities entered the Yearning for Zion (YFZ) Ranch, one of the Fundamentalist Latter Day Saints (FLDS) compounds, on April 3, they did so using a warrant based on calls from a person who alleged that she was an underage girl being subjected to physical and sexual abuse, including rape, at the ranch.

We have to let parents be parents.  What's with this governmental interference?  That's government for you!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2008, 01:10:17 PM »
We have to let parents be parents.  What's with this governmental interference?  That's government for you!

Yeah.  How dare they interfere with the rape of 13 year-old girls.  Not surprised the ACLU is all over this one. 

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2008, 02:10:44 PM »
Yeah.  How dare they interfere with the rape of 13 year-old girls.  Not surprised the ACLU is all over this one. 
Right, Mr. "I want government intruding in my life"...

Where are we going to be if we don't let people be all they can be as parents?

That doggone ol' ACLU sides with the parents?  I guess a broken clock is right twice a day.

It's obvious big government is taking over.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2008, 02:18:00 PM »
Right, Mr. "I want government intruding in my life"...

Where are we going to be if we don't let people be all they can be as parents?

That doggone ol' ACLU sides with the parents?  I guess a broken clock is right twice a day.

It's obvious big government is taking over.

Nah.  Call me "Mr. I want the government to arrest these rapists and lawbreakers." 

Maybe the ACLU should team up with Planned Parenthood?  They could start a campaign of aborting black babies fathered by adult males, with underage girls, and get free legal representation when the big bad government tries to interfere with their operation. 

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2008, 02:40:06 PM »
Nah.  Call me "Mr. I want the government to arrest these rapists and lawbreakers." 

Maybe the ACLU should team up with Planned Parenthood?  They could start a campaign of aborting black babies fathered by adult males, with underage girls, and get free legal representation when the big bad government tries to interfere with their operation. 

"BIG GOVERNMENT" Beach Bum!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2008, 03:30:11 PM »
Polygamy roll shows 21 wives for one member
By Susan Roesgen
CNN

(CNN) -- In the secretive, illegal world of American polygamy, life has been good to 67-year-old Wendell Loy Nielsen of Eldorado, Texas.

By his own account, Nielsen has 21 wives -- and 36 children.

His oldest wife is 13 years older than he is, and his youngest wife is 43 years younger -- she's just 24.

His oldest child is 21 years old, and his youngest is a 6-month-old baby.

That's one of the longer, single-family genealogies uncovered in a CNN review of the "Bishop's List" -- a series of documents listing the age, marital status, children and address of the members of the Yearning for Zion polygamist ranch in Eldorado, Texas.

. . . .

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/05/05/polygamist.families/index.html

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2008, 03:42:17 PM »
It makes you wonder......

How much freedom from on going accountability should places like this have?

On one hand you have the argument that people should be able to live the way they choose and if they decide to choose to live this way no  one should bother them.

Then you have the issue of people's rights being violated and being kept from speaking out and alerting the authorities.

I say, places like this should have a system that allows the freedom and easy safe access of it's members to alert anyone of miss doings.  Aside form that, that's all the government needs to be involved with other then it already is.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2008, 03:46:25 PM »
It makes you wonder......

How much freedom from on going accountability should places like this have?

On one hand you have the argument that people should be able to live the way they choose and if they decide to choose to live this way no  one should bother them.

Then you have the issue of people's rights being violated and being kept from speaking out and alerting the authorities.

I say, places like this should have a system that allows the freedom and easy safe access of it's members to alert anyone of miss doings.  Aside form that, that's all the government needs to be involved with other then it already is.

For me the primary issue is the involvement of children.  No one has the right to abuse kids.  People are free to do whatever they want as consenting adults, so long as they don't break the law. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2008, 03:48:16 PM »
For me the primary issue is the involvement of children.  No one has the right to abuse kids.  People are free to do whatever they want as consenting adults, so long as they don't break the law. 

I agree.  but when kids belong to a commune like society it's hard to monitor any abuses or even have the kids recognize they are being abused.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2008, 03:52:57 PM »
I agree.  but when kids belong to a commune like society it's hard to monitor any abuses or even have the kids recognize they are being abused.

True.  Sounds like that's precisely what happened with these people.  They groom these kids from birth. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2008, 10:15:03 PM »
May 8, 11:16 PM EDT

Church records offer rare look inside polygamist families
By MICHELLE ROBERTS
Associated Press Writer

SAN ANTONIO (AP) -- Hand-scrawled records taken from a polygamist sect are helping untangle the spider-web network of family relationships at the Yearning For Zion ranch, where some husbands had more than a dozen wives.

The church records offer a peek into an intricate culture in which men related to the sect's prophet, Warren Jeffs, enjoyed favored-husband status in the distribution of wives and all young women were married by 24.

An Associated Press analysis of the records, which authorities seized in a raid last month, show that by the time a girl reached 16, she was more likely to be married than to live as a child in her father's household. The same was not true for boys.

Ben Bistline, a former member of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints who was raised in the sect, said Jeffs or other church leaders decided who got married and when. Jeffs is imprisoned on an accomplice-to-rape charge in Utah.

"It's just at the whim of the leader," said Bistline, who said successful businessmen who donate heavily to the sect or who are close to the prophet are generally favored. "There's a lot of nepotism involved."

The records, released by court officials last week, include 37 families totaling 507 individuals. At the time the lists were written from March through August of 2007, most of the people were living at the YFZ Ranch, though others were in homes along the Utah-Arizona line.

Two-thirds of listed households were polygamous, with the brothers of Jeffs and a senior elder claiming the most wives, up to 21 in one case.

Men still in their 20s made up most of the dozen monogamous marriages.

The husbands and wives were married in the FLDS, and none is believed to hold Texas marriage licenses.

Of the 19 youths listed as being 16 or 17, none of the boys are husbands, while nine of the girls are listed as wives. Only one 17-year-old girl remained unmarried.

Under Texas law, children under the age of 17 generally cannot consent to sex with an adult.

The young men in monogamous marriages will likely seek additional wives as they age, Bistline said.

"A man has to have at least three wives to get to the highest degree of heaven," he said.

After the raid, the state took custody of 464 children belonging to FLDS families, including one born later to a teen mother. Authorities alleged that teenage girls were being systematically abused and forced into underage marriages, while boys were being groomed to become future abusers.

Church officials insist they are being persecuted for their religious beliefs.

FLDS spokesman Rod Parker said the records indicate that many sect members "are either monogamous couples or adult couples, and that incidence of underage marriage is actually not very prevalent."

No criminal charges have been filed, though state authorities continue to investigate.

"Our investigation and prosecution will go where the evidence leads," Jerry Strickland, a spokesman for the attorney general's office, said in an e-mail statement.

As in many states, government-recognized marriage in Texas to more than one person at the same time is a felony. But the law also apparently applies to anyone who "purports to marry" - language used in Utah to target polygamists who marry in religious services but don't get marriage licenses.

Ken Driggs, an Atlanta lawyer who is an expert on the FLDS and the legal history of polygamy, said any prosecution of FLDS members for multiple marriages would be difficult because of the law's vagueness, questions of jurisdiction and the community's refusal to testify in previous instances.

"They have a tricky case in front of them," Driggs said.

The records are each labeled "Father's Family Information Sheet, Bishop's Record," and appear to be a kind of church census, with wives and children listed below the male head of household. The age and location of each individual is included, though some are incomplete.

Church elder Wendell Nielsen is listed as having the most wives at 21. Two of Jeffs' brothers also had numerous wives. His brother, Nephi Jeffs, had 14 wives listed. Isaac Jeffs, the brother who was driving Warren Jeffs when he was arrested outside Las Vegas in August 2006, had 10 wives listed.

The records, taken from a safe in an office at the ranch, were among the truckload of documents, computer disks and family Bibles seized from the ranch during a six-day search for records that showed underage marriages. Parker said he was unsure how complete the records are or what purpose they served.

Authorities raided the compound April 3 after a series of calls to a domestic-abuse hot line that purportedly came from a 16-year-old girl who was forced into a relationship at the ranch with a man three times her age. The girl has not been found, and authorities are investigating whether the call was a hoax.

Jeffs was convicted of being an accomplice to rape for arranging a marriage in Utah between a 14-year-old follower and a 19-year-old man. Jeffs awaits trial on other charges in Arizona.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/P/POLYGAMISTS_FAMILY_TREE?refresh=1

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2008, 10:22:31 PM »
I gotta admit, I'm pretty concerned about this shit too. I can't possibly see how they haven't shredded all law to do this and certainly crapped on the constitution.  If they have definitive just cause on the abuse of a child sure, go in, let the law do their thing.  But in this case, they just presumed guilt of every single family :-\  Are they fucking serious?  That just doesn't fly ::) At least it didn't turn into another Wacko ::)

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2008, 11:03:05 PM »

Oh shit, somebody's been accused of breaking the law.  Let's take his underage wife into custody and separate her from her kid. That'll show 'em.

I swear, BB has got to be a prize-winning douche. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2008, 12:06:18 AM »
Here you go callous.  Read up now.  :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2008, 10:40:57 AM »
Indefensible.   >:(

Polygamist Sect Custody Hearings on Hold as Parents Await Court Decision
State Has Photos of Leader Warren Jeffs Kissing a Girl Alleged to Be 12

May 28, 2008 

Texas officials say they have additional evidence of abuse among the hundreds of children who were taken into state custody last month from a polygamist sect's West Texas ranch.

Lawyers for Texas Child Protective Services entered photos into evidence at a custody hearing on Friday that they said showed sect leader Warren Jeffs with a then-12 year old girl who they claimed was his spiritual wife.
(ABC)
More PhotosSome of that evidence, including testimony from an alleged child bride shown in photographs kissing sect leader Warren Jeffs, was to be presented Tuesday at a custody hearing for the child of one of the sect mothers.

But before any of the evidence, which state officials would not describe, was entered into evidence, the state and sect lawyers resolved the case, agreeing that Child Protective Services will maintain custody of Louisa Bradshaw's baby, who was born in state custody.

Bradshaw was initially taken into custody because officials thought she was a minor, although they have since said that she is older than 18. She will be allowed to stay with her baby in a shelter.

Photographs showing Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints leader Warren Jeffs kissing a girl, who Texas state officials have said was 12 at the time she entered into a spiritual marriage with Jeffs, were introduced as evidence in Bradshaw's case last week. The photographs, dated 2006, say "one year anniversary."

Child Protective Services has said Bradshaw and her husband lived in the same building as the girl, on the Yearning for Zion Ranch. Patrick Crimmons, a CPS spokesman, said the girl in photo the is in Child Protective Services custody.

Rod Parker, an attorney and spokesman for the church, said the photos were "just a publicity stunt by CPS because they feel their case caving in around them."

Last week, an appellate court ordered the release of hundreds of sect children, saying the state had not presented enough evidence that they were in immediate danger of abuse to justify keeping them in state custody.

The state has appealed to the Texas Supreme Court. If upheld, the ruling would unravel the largest child welfare case in U.S. history.

. . .
http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?id=4948876&page=1