Author Topic: front squat help..  (Read 2373 times)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
front squat help..
« on: April 22, 2008, 07:31:20 AM »
hey guys i need help with front squatting..i can't keep the damn bar from slipping when i get into the mid 400's... I'm good for the lift if I can keep the bar up but it's killing my training and progress. Do i drive my delts and arms up HARD on teh way up? I smoked 455 last time but lately i'm thinking about doing them with my shirt off so the knurling bites into my skin instead of slipping off my shirt.

thoughts?

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: front squat help..
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 08:52:16 AM »
I take it your a bodybuilding/cross armed kind of hand placement?

Ever thought of trying the olympic liftin grip?

Might need to work on wrsit flexibility for a couple of weeks but itl be worth it in the end.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 02:21:12 PM »
Chalk, keep your elbows and head looking up the entire time...

IME it just takes time to work up to heavier weights when doing front squats.

The olympic style never worked well for me, killed my wrists...

8)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 04:45:10 PM »
Chalk, keep your elbows and head looking up the entire time...

IME it just takes time to work up to heavier weights when doing front squats.

The olympic style never worked well for me, killed my wrists...

8)

exactly..no fucking way my hands are ever going to do that...

my head is up.. but when i come out of the hole i lean forward like my regular squats and have to try to save it..i've only been front squatting for a couple months..guess i shouldn't be bitching about mid 400's huh.

i chalk up alot on my chest..delts. and upper arms too and it still slides..i'm going to have to try to really push my arms up into the weight on the movement too instead of just trying to keep it up there.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 04:46:42 PM »
never seen the benefit of front squats, too much unneeded stress on the shoulders when regular squats work the quads just as well while also being able to go heavier.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 04:48:25 PM »
never seen the benefit of front squats, too much unneeded stress on the shoulders when regular squats work the quads just as well while also being able to go heavier.

i do them when my back has fatigued from pulling..and since i competing in heavy deadlifts on the weekend front squats don't hurt my lb at all..but are alot harder than a regular squat with the same weight.

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 06:46:41 PM »
You could get  a front squat harness from louie, its expensive, but its a heavy duty ass kicker...probably get a harness made for you for less than a hundred

Jason

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 07:07:05 AM »
Im trying olympic technique but seem to end up chickening out and going with cross arms.

Its weird tho, i can keep abck pretty straight throughout a heavy (for me anyway) front squat, but im having probs keeping upright during heavy back squat??!!

Just back from great leg session, set new PB.I see vids of guys squatting for 6 reps, and the 1st 4 go up and down no probs, then the last 2 they hit the wall and battle to get them, thats not me at all. I got 7 reps and let me tell u, rep one was a fight.rep 7 i was leaning alot more foreword but i got it.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 12:54:59 PM »
If you can't handle the Olympic style of grip because of flexibility, you might try looping a pair of lifting-straps around where you'll grip(ends-up). You can then use the strap ends as make-shift handles tlll you gain flexibily in the wrists and arms.

Saves some stress.

:) .