Author Topic: What a Prick!  (Read 2381 times)

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
What a Prick!
« on: April 22, 2008, 08:55:18 PM »
The starving dog as art

It's an email that is raising the ire of animal lovers around the world: A Costa Rican artist picked a starving dog off the streets of Managua, Nicaragua, then used him as part of an art exhibit that allowed him to continue starving.

According to the email, the dog -- chained in the shadow of the words "You are what you read," spelled out in dog food -- died a day into the exhibit.

The artist, Guillermo Vargas, also known as Habacuc, said the purpose of the exhibit, in part, was to bring attention to the fact that, in some countries, tens of thousands of stray dogs die in the streets, with no one paying them a second thought.

"Now, if you publicly display one of these starving creatures, such as the case with Nativity, it creates a backlash that brings out a big of hypocrisy in all of us," one blog quoted him as saying. "Nativity was a very sick creature and would have died in the streets anyway."

While the incident is all over the internet, actual news coverage of the event is sparse.

Nativity, or Natividad, depending on the blog or email you're reading, was the name Vargas gave the dog -- pictured above in a photo appearing on petitiononline.com -- that was used in the exhibit. It is also unclear whether the dog actually died.

According to the Humane Society of the United States, which has received numerous inquiries about the stories, the dog spent one day in the exhibit and later escaped the gallery.

"We do not condone the actions of this so-called 'artist,'" the organization says.

Vargas was chosen to represent his country in an upcoming art exhibit, the “Bienal Centroamericana Honduras 2008," and online petitions are circulating seeking to ban him from the event.

HSUS says it is seeking more information about the exhibit in Nicaragua, and said animal welfare agencies in Honduras have assured them the artist will not be permitted to duplicate the exhibit there.

The story made the Huffington Post over the weekend, with blogger Belisa Vranich, a psychologist, author and public speaker, going so far -- based only on blog innuendo and internet rumors  -- as to issue a diagnosis, saying Vargas has "traits of antisocial personality disorder, grandiose and narcissistic personality disorder, and a peppering of delusions."

A brief article aslo appeared in The Times in South Africa.

Snopes.com, a website that investigates urban legends, classifies the veracity of starving dog artist story as "undetermined." There was an exhibit involving a starving dog, but it's not known if the dog perished during the exhibit, or at all, or whether it was fed or allowed to continue starving.

Despite the lack of facts, emotions about the case are high, and petitions like this one are being widely circulated.

Meanwhile, well-meaning animal lovers are creating videos in support of the petition, such as the one below.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/features/mutts/blog/2008/04/post_61.html

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
Re: What a Prick!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 09:47:47 PM »
the interesting thing is, if he hadn't done that, the dog would have died of starvation on the street. it IS an interesting point he brings up, because it makes you ask yourself why his actions are so abhorrent (and they are) while we just shrug off the multitudes that die daily.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 09:48:58 PM »
the interesting thing is, if he hadn't done that, the dog would have died of starvation on the street. it IS an interesting point he brings up, because it makes you ask yourself why his actions are so abhorrent (and they are) while we just shrug off the multitudes that die daily.
Kind of gives you a headache doesn't it? :-\
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 09:55:50 PM »
Kind of gives you a headache doesn't it? :-\

it really does. on one hand, you want to lynch the guy for not helping that dog (i'm a bleeding heart liberal myself. :P), but it's impossible to deny that, right now, there are thousands upon thousands of animals dying in the streets of starvation, cold, injuries from fights and abuse, not to mention the other thousands being put down in animal shelters because they were never rescued.

and yet, there IS a part of our minds that is infuriated at this guy because we seem to think causing a death is horrible, but staying away from helping is just fine. kind of a "head in the sand" attitude, isn't it?

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 03:53:08 AM »
He took responsibility for that dog, that is the difference.  Plus he left it tied up so it could not even scavenge for food - SO HE STARVED IT

He committed an INTENTIONAL act of abuse and cruelty.   There is a difference in not being able to help every creature in need in this world, and actually participating in cruelty.

The guy is fucked in the head. 

Maybe he should be tied up and starved as "art" to represent the starving people in the world? 

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 09:00:19 AM »
i agree there, but at the same time isn't there a kernel of truth to that message?

i think his method of creating awareness was... ill-chosen to be as charitable as possible, but the DOES have a point.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 10:42:47 AM »
But was he really enlightening anyone?   A picture or pictures wouldn't of sufficed?

The only kernel of truth in his message is that people are the cruelest animal on the earth.  To do what he did proves that humans are assholes.  And the people that went and did nothing further proved it. 

Was there food served at this "exhibit"?  Did people really stand around eating going "wow, I am so like enlightened at the suffering of these animals. Looking at that pitiful creature has shown me the way.    Aren't these crepes divine? You should try one."

gimme a break. 

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 10:47:39 AM »
to be PERFECTLY honest, if i'd seen it i probably would have broken my way in and fed the damn dog.  >:(

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 11:12:50 AM »
to be PERFECTLY honest, if i'd seen it i probably would have broken my way in and fed the damn dog.  >:(

I would of taken the dog and called everyone there names and punched a few of them, at least I would of punched the "ar-teest"   >:(

He probably sucks ass as an artist and had to do this to get attention.
  >:(

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 12:23:10 PM »
I would of taken the dog and called everyone there names and punched a few of them, at least I would of punched the "ar-teest"   >:(

actually that's a good point. aside from being pissed at the artist, i'm also pissed at everyone who went and look at this "exhibit" and didn't do anything.

...maybe that was another part of it.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 03:56:23 PM »
If I was working with animal control on this one, i would aggressively push for prosecution for animal cruelty. 

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 07:04:23 PM »
If I was working with animal control on this one, i would aggressively push for prosecution for animal cruelty. 

i can't imagine this wouldn't be considered just that. simply by calling it "art" doesn't give him freedom to do whatever he wants. i can't kill a man and call it art, or rape a woman on stage and say i'm "bringing awareness" to how awful rape is.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 08:10:58 PM »
i can't imagine this wouldn't be considered just that. simply by calling it "art" doesn't give him freedom to do whatever he wants. i can't kill a man and call it art, or rape a woman on stage and say i'm "bringing awareness" to how awful rape is.
Yup. 

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2008, 03:11:31 PM »
:

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2008, 03:31:43 PM »
interesting. so we aren't really sure. that's encouraging at least. if the reality is that he fed the dog at night, then i'd say it's a brilliant stunt.

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2008, 08:08:53 AM »
I'm calling bullshit on this story.