Author Topic: Best IFBB historian - Tim Fogarty or Joe Roark?  (Read 14493 times)

IFBBwannaB

• Getbig V
  • BAN stick!
Re: Best IFBB historian - Tim Fogarty or Joe Roark?
« Reply #125 on: April 25, 2008, 11:38:28 AM »
In general, i think that you also need to be a bit practicle to be an engineer? Recalling that comment that you made about people solving equations, but doing idiotic acts like fainiling to plug projectors in etc? We'll that is me. I certainly wasn't genetically gifted in the practicle front.

Well yes and no.

There are many fields of engineering that are mostly theoretical or rely on heavy theories. Communication protocols for example is the land of mathematicens that deal with engineering constraints.

I myself am not what you would call a handy man, but I have a great eye for seeing the usage of math theory or physical property in a practical manner.

Donut forget that engineering is far from what it used to be, mechanical engineering today for example is closer to nano engineering than the classical engineering you think of.

In what field are you an engineer?

I'm an electrical engineer, most of my intrests are logic design and solid state physics.

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #126 on: April 25, 2008, 01:01:16 PM »

I'm an electrical engineer, most of my intrests are logic design and solid state physics.

That's very very cool! :)

CigaretteMan

• Getbig III
  • Yum, yum, give me some!
« Reply #127 on: April 25, 2008, 04:46:20 PM »
  White people have on average half a billion more cortical neurons than black people. This is the result of autopsies. This is the closet we'll ever have of a physical evidence that whites are on average more intelligent than blacks.

hifrommike

• Getbig III
« Reply #128 on: April 25, 2008, 10:29:17 PM »
The best historian of bodybuilding books I've found is David L. Chapman.  His book, SANDOW THE MAGNIFICENT: EUGEN SANDOW AND THE ORIGINS OF BODYBUILDING (1994) went into a new edition in 2006. 

Matt C

• Getbig V
  • The White Vince Goodrum
« Reply #129 on: April 25, 2008, 11:23:41 PM »
  This statement is so stupid that it is preposterous. Intelligence is a trait that genetically evolved through natural selection to allow us to pass on our genes to the next generation more effectively; it was never developed to allow us to live forever. Rocks are just an aggregate of atoms. The atoms that make up your body will also survive forever, so what's your point?

CigaretteMan - you strike me as extremely informed.
Bodybuilding Pro.com

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #130 on: April 26, 2008, 09:32:49 AM »
The best historian of bodybuilding books I've found is David L. Chapman.  His book, SANDOW THE MAGNIFICENT: EUGEN SANDOW AND THE ORIGINS OF BODYBUILDING (1994) went into a new edition in 2006. 

David was one of the first people to allow me to search through his bodybuilding memorabilia collection for my website back in 1997.   Once a year or so, I send him a disk containing a complete backup of my database for safe keeping.

Joe Roark

• Expert
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #131 on: April 27, 2008, 11:46:30 AM »
Regarding me knowing the history 'off the top of my head'- I only wish that were true. I rely heavily on my filing system. In the current issue of FLEX we examine the stats regarding the 95 men, who to date, have competed in both the Ironman and the Arnold. I would still be at work on the first paragraph of that article if memory were my only resource.

Regarding whether Tim or I surpass the other, I do not know, or care. There are some men on my forum who know far more than I about certain aspects of the history (Milo barbells, for example). No one knows everything.

In the example that Bix offered, although I do not recall the specifics, there have been times when someone on the staff at FLEX has been the cause of some mistakes that appeared in my column. On the other, and more frequent hand, most mistakes are sourced from me. But to say I have an ego too large to admit error is simply to be ignorant of the many times on my forum where I have acknowledged mistakes. I do not hesitate to point out mistakes regarding history when others make those mistakes, and I never refuse to eat crow when others point out my mistakes. Absolutley never. So if I passed along the blame to someone else in an instance, then that was the case.

That's sorta how we all learn.

Matt C

• Getbig V
« Reply #132 on: April 27, 2008, 12:19:13 PM »
Regarding me knowing the history 'off the top of my head'- I only wish that were true. I rely heavily on my filing system. In the current issue of FLEX we examine the stats regarding the 95 men, who to date, have competed in both the Ironman and the Arnold. I would still be at work on the first paragraph of that article if memory were my only resource.

Regarding whether Tim or I surpass the other, I do not know, or care. There are some men on my forum who know far more than I about certain aspects of the history (Milo barbells, for example). No one knows everything.

In the example that Bix offered, although I do not recall the specifics, there have been times when someone on the staff at FLEX has been the cause of some mistakes that appeared in my column. On the other, and more frequent hand, most mistakes are sourced from me. But to say I have an ego too large to admit error is simply to be ignorant of the many times on my forum where I have acknowledged mistakes. I do not hesitate to point out mistakes regarding history when others make those mistakes, and I never refuse to eat crow when others point out my mistakes. Absolutley never. So if I passed along the blame to someone else in an instance, then that was the case.

How old was Chris Dickerson when he won the Mr. Olympia contest, to the DAY?

I think his birthday was in August of 1939, but anyway, tell me - did you know that stat exactly off the top of your head?
Bodybuilding Pro.com

Joe Roark

• Expert
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #133 on: April 27, 2008, 12:45:28 PM »
How old was Chris Dickerson when he won the Mr. Olympia contest, to the DAY?

I think his birthday was in August of 1939, but anyway, tell me - did you know that stat exactly off the top of your head?

Chris was born August 25, 1939, won the Olympia November 13, 1982 so he was age 43 years, 79 days.
I knew that on the side of my head.

Bix

• Getbig IV
  • The Instigator
« Reply #134 on: April 27, 2008, 01:18:20 PM »

Oh and I pointed out that mistake to Joe through a PM on IA, did he come back in the open forum and admit it, hell no!

A correction placed in the mag  would have been the right thing to do. You want future generations reading falsehoods?

Joe Roark

• Expert
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #135 on: April 27, 2008, 01:43:06 PM »
Oh and I pointed out that mistake to Joe through a PM on IA, did he come back in the open forum and admit it, hell no!

A correction placed in the mag  would have been the right thing to do. You want future generations reading falsehoods?

Bix, please remind me of the specific error to which you refer. I did not keep your PM.
In the future any mistakes that I make in my column, when I become aware of them, I will request that a correction be printed in FLEX. I do not control that, but I will request it.

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #136 on: April 27, 2008, 03:24:34 PM »
I rely heavily on my filing system.

ever think of computerizing your filing system?  make it searchable?  don't know if you remember, but I asked you that about 10-12 years ago, before too many people knew what the web was.   your reply was "you want me to give away my retirement fund?"

Joe Roark

• Expert
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #137 on: April 27, 2008, 03:49:26 PM »
ever think of computerizing your filing system?  make it searchable?  don't know if you remember, but I asked you that about 10-12 years ago, before too many people knew what the web was.   your reply was "you want me to give away my retirement fund?"

It has been computerized, is searchable, and is still my retirement fund ::)  I have saved almost enough to buy a hammock, and am waiting for the two trees to grow.

Matt C

• Getbig V
« Reply #138 on: April 27, 2008, 04:59:22 PM »
Chris was born August 25, 1939, won the Olympia November 13, 1982 so he was age 43 years, 79 days.
I knew that on the side of my head.

That's what I mean.  ;D
Bodybuilding Pro.com

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #139 on: April 27, 2008, 05:06:01 PM »
That's what I mean.  ;D
MattC, any new reviews at bodybuildingpro.com?

Matt C

• Getbig V
Bodybuilding Pro.com

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #141 on: April 27, 2008, 05:16:54 PM »
tim must have been called 'tim fagarty' quite a lot in school.

Matt C

• Getbig V
« Reply #142 on: April 27, 2008, 05:17:46 PM »

No need to be mean to him.
Bodybuilding Pro.com

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #143 on: April 27, 2008, 05:45:57 PM »

Tim is a very informed guy and it's very rewarding to read his posts.

Matt C

• Getbig V
« Reply #144 on: April 27, 2008, 10:29:33 PM »
MattC, any new reviews at bodybuildingpro.com?

My latest review just uploaded a few moments ago:

Includes more pics of Matt C (fodder for the computer commandos on here).
Bodybuilding Pro.com

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #145 on: April 27, 2008, 10:35:47 PM »
Tim's site is very good too, and like him, we garner and learn from the history of speaking from people in the past.

Very profound, Ron.

Some day I'll actually understand it.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #146 on: April 27, 2008, 10:40:52 PM »

So who was responsible for leaving out my name on your FLEX article of guys placing 2nd? I placed runner up twice...

Matt C

• Getbig V
« Reply #147 on: April 27, 2008, 10:44:19 PM »
So who was responsible for leaving out my name on your FLEX article of guys placing 2nd? I placed runner up twice...

Is the article here?

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0KFY
Bodybuilding Pro.com

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #148 on: April 27, 2008, 10:55:55 PM »
March 2008 "Runners up Roundup"

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #149 on: April 27, 2008, 11:01:15 PM »
There are some men on my forum who know far more than I about certain aspects of the history (Milo barbells, for example).

the problem with forums is that they are not necessarily permanent, and not easy to find specific info in.  it would be great if everyone who is an expert at some piece of history would write it out and put it in an indexed archive.   I've tried to get others to contribute to the MuscleMemory Wiki, but to no avail.