Author Topic: LA TIMES questions McCain's disability pension...  (Read 799 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
LA TIMES questions McCain's disability pension...
« on: April 23, 2008, 04:15:23 AM »
Some folks believe a person cannot be injured enough to receive a check, yet still healthy enough for the most stressful and demanding job on the planet.

The disclosure of the Navy benefit for injuries incurred as a Vietnam POW may raise fitness questions.

Sen. John McCain has long said he is in robust health and is strong enough to hike the Grand Canyon, but he also is receiving what his staff Monday termed a "disability pension" from the Navy.

When McCain released his tax return for 2007 on Friday, he separately disclosed that he received a pension of $58,358 that was not listed as income on his return.

On Monday, McCain's staff identified the retirement benefit as a "disability pension" and said that McCain "was retired as disabled because of his limited body movements due to injuries as a POW."

McCain campaign strategist Mark Salter said Monday night that McCain was technically disabled. "Tortured for his country -- that is how he acquired his disability," Salter said.

Certain types of military and veterans pensions are either partially or completely tax-exempt, depending on the seriousness of the disability. In McCain's case, the exemption is 100%.

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
Re: LA TIMES questions McCain's disability pension...
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 04:21:56 AM »
Doesn't have to be listed on taxes and they know it.

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 04:28:01 AM »
This is a non-issue, Rob, no matter how much the LA times wants it to be one.

I have friends I've served with who get disability pensions but are still in good overall health.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 06:03:10 AM »
This is a non-issue, Rob, no matter how much the LA times wants it to be one.

I have friends I've served with who get disability pensions but are still in good overall health.

It interests me because his campaign specifically went out of their way NOT to answer questions about his capabilities.

instead, the knee-jerk response was "he was tortured for his country".  In other words, if you ask this Q, you hate our troops, etc. 

He wants to undertake the job with the most power IN THE WORLD.  At an advanced age.  That's two incredible things right there - toughest job in the world, at 72 years old, and he's admitting his body has permanent physical disabilities. 

I wish his campaign would say "he's in fine physical health".  Instead, they divert it. 

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 06:42:59 AM »
His broke his arms and legs and got shitbeat by the NVA...yeah he's entitled to whatever uncle sam can give him. I've been in almost 16 years...I couldn't even begin to understand nor then try and explain how the disability system works.  U get so much per injury but they don't accumulate. Meaning u might get 25% for an arm and 25% for a leg and 10% for hearing..that does not equal 60% disability. Thats uncle sam....This is a non-issue.
L

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 06:53:35 AM »
His broke his arms and legs and got shitbeat by the NVA...yeah he's entitled to whatever uncle sam can give him. I've been in almost 16 years...I couldn't even begin to understand nor then try and explain how the disability system works.  U get so much per injury but they don't accumulate. Meaning u might get 25% for an arm and 25% for a leg and 10% for hearing..that does not equal 60% disability. Thats uncle sam....This is a non-issue.

I agree completely that the man deserves disability $.  I don't think ANYONE is disputing that.

I'm jsut saying that's the toughest job on earth, and he's very old, and yes, they are stalling releasing his medical records.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 06:58:52 AM »
He got his disability for the plane crash and torture...the cancer he's had is another issue. If he has more cancer then I guess we need to know.
L

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 07:01:15 AM »
I agree completely that the man deserves disability $.  I don't think ANYONE is disputing that.

I'm jsut saying that's the toughest job on earth, and he's very old, and yes, they are stalling releasing his medical records.

FDR was in a wheelchair.

I think McCain is physically fit enough to do the job.

It's his politics people have issues with.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 07:32:23 AM »
He got his disability for the plane crash and torture...the cancer he's had is another issue. If he has more cancer then I guess we need to know.

His campaign doesn't really want to talk about it, HH6.

So it must not be important!