Author Topic: Question for the hardcore Jits guys...  (Read 1321 times)

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
Question for the hardcore Jits guys...
« on: April 24, 2008, 09:01:36 PM »
I'm very new to jiu jitsu, I've cross trained in a lot of different arts in the past, but never really dabbled in JJ.. my question is: how effective do you find your JJ is against a really strong, juiced up opponent. I've rolled a few times with a buddy from Brazil who trained with Wandi and a few other top guys and he had trouble submitting me a few times (though he submitted me plenty, lol) because of the sheer strength and size difference. He's about 5'7 170, I'm 6"1 245-255. I'm sure my knowledge of other arts helped me out some of the times as well but overall how do you guys find you match up against someone like that, who is a trained striker (MT, boxing, systema) by nature?

Also, do any of you guys ever worry about having a glass jaw, I've sparred with a few JJ guys before with gloves and shots to the face, a lot of these guys couldn't take shots/had glass jaws.

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
Re: Question for the hardcore Jits guys...
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 01:39:55 AM »
Curtis Lefler used to get submitted all the time at Relson's first academy.  Most extremely large guys don't scramble well, and if they don't get top, can't move off their backs.  They mount little to no offense, don't work on improving their position, just hold on until the bell.  There are a couple of 300+ juiced up blues at our academy who are hell if they get top.  But they can't scramble, their shoulders are sooooo tight, that it limits their game.  They are strong as hell, and you don't want to play closed guard with. 

Petrucci

• Getbig IV
  • Team Kratos!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 07:12:06 AM »
well, it really depends on your technique....but in my opinion, two guys in the same level (like the same belt) if one of them its bigger and stronger, he will get some advantage...
!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 07:56:16 AM »
Curtis Lefler used to get submitted all the time at Relson's first academy.  Most extremely large guys don't scramble well, and if they don't get top, can't move off their backs.  They mount little to no offense, don't work on improving their position, just hold on until the bell.  There are a couple of 300+ juiced up blues at our academy who are hell if they get top.  But they can't scramble, their shoulders are sooooo tight, that it limits their game.  They are strong as hell, and you don't want to play closed guard with. 

I know I didn't fall in this category.  The last thing you wanted to do was get on the ground with me.  I wrestled and was very athletic since I was a kid.  I wanted to wrestle in high school really bad cause I was naturally good on the ground.  I would routinely go in the wrestling room and spare with the guys.  But I was also a great baseball player and my coach would not let me wrestle.  He even threatened our wrestling coach if he ever saw me in the wrestling room.  So I always had to be careful.  We had one of the best wrestling teams in all of Southern California back then.  Plus I am very limber considering my size.

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 12:55:22 PM »
I know I didn't fall in this category.  The last thing you wanted to do was get on the ground with me.  I wrestled and was very athletic since I was a kid.  I wanted to wrestle in high school really bad cause I was naturally good on the ground.  I would routinely go in the wrestling room and spare with the guys.  But I was also a great baseball player and my coach would not let me wrestle.  He even threatened our wrestling coach if he ever saw me in the wrestling room.  So I always had to be careful.  We had one of the best wrestling teams in all of Southern California back then.  Plus I am very limber considering my size.

Big, large muscles consume lots energy and have a tendency to get filled with lactic acid during prolonged anaerobic activity.  Curtis, as you know Keith, wasn't exactly the most flexible of guys.  If he got top, you were in for a long five minutes.  Scotty (remember him Keith) would last longer, as would Karl Franks (Karl later got HUUUUGE, and lost functional ability and later lost to Conan in Battlecade).  Athletic, big guys are the jits guy's worst nightmare.  (See Mark Kerr in his heyday, Don Frye versus Amaury Bitetti)  But a skilled guy like Nog, who isn't exactly a specimen will tool a huge muscular guy in TIME.  Once the big dog's gas tank empties (like Sapp's did), it is game over.  Keith, you are in LV now, lots of quality jits instruction in either direction.  Jacare is now with Team Quest (they already had Drysdale).  Keith, ever roll with Egan?  Big guys worst nightmare.  Mid sized guy, extremely athletic, scrambles like no ones business, attacking guard, STRONG, gas for days (BJJ) and constant pressure.  Makes bigger, thick guys wilt under the pressure. 

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 06:00:05 PM »
Big, large muscles consume lots energy and have a tendency to get filled with lactic acid during prolonged anaerobic activity.  Curtis, as you know Keith, wasn't exactly the most flexible of guys.  If he got top, you were in for a long five minutes.  Scotty (remember him Keith) would last longer, as would Karl Franks (Karl later got HUUUUGE, and lost functional ability and later lost to Conan in Battlecade).  Athletic, big guys are the jits guy's worst nightmare.  (See Mark Kerr in his heyday, Don Frye versus Amaury Bitetti)  But a skilled guy like Nog, who isn't exactly a specimen will tool a huge muscular guy in TIME.  Once the big dog's gas tank empties (like Sapp's did), it is game over.  Keith, you are in LV now, lots of quality jits instruction in either direction.  Jacare is now with Team Quest (they already had Drysdale).  Keith, ever roll with Egan?  Big guys worst nightmare.  Mid sized guy, extremely athletic, scrambles like no ones business, attacking guard, STRONG, gas for days (BJJ) and constant pressure.  Makes bigger, thick guys wilt under the pressure. 

Kev, I am in Vegas.  I had a meeting with Mica about 3 weeks ago.  And yes Curtis was not very flexible.  I am lucky I am still as flexible as I am even at this weight.  The closed down the Xycience Center and changed the name to Warrior.  Never took JJ in Hawaii.  My only time I took it was way in 1986 or so with Rorian, Royce and Rickson.  And I can't believe how big Karl Franks was the last time I saw him.  He did some heavy doses to get like that. 

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 06:27:05 PM »
Other than Socal, LV is the mecca of BJJ.  Ze Mario is there, Drysdale, Jacare, Mica, Nova Uniao.  When are you guys scheduled to open.  I wanna come train....

Slintowin4424

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
  • Seminar May 10 in brea message me for details
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 07:54:47 AM »
Its doesn't matter who you are jiu jitsu is effective if you are effective or if the other person is a wrestiler or knows nothing

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 11:06:06 AM »
Other than Socal, LV is the mecca of BJJ.  Ze Mario is there, Drysdale, Jacare, Mica, Nova Uniao.  When are you guys scheduled to open.  I wanna come train....

The contractor told me last week if we can get the permits in the next couple months we can be open by Christmas.  I am going to have some artist renderings done and when they are ready I will post them.  I am hiring  great PR firm and they are going to redo the website.  It is going to be 100% guaranteed the best health club or gym website on the net.  Totally interactive including streaming video of our group exercise classes and MMA classes.  Of course only members of the gym will be able to see them.

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2008, 11:41:31 AM »
  It is going to be 100% guaranteed the best health club or gym website on the net. 

How does that even work Keith? You can guarantee an object and give money back for it, but how do you guarantee a website? Who is making this guarantee?
E

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2008, 05:26:57 PM »
How does that even work Keith? You can guarantee an object and give money back for it, but how do you guarantee a website? Who is making this guarantee?

I mean it will be the best designed and most interactive website for a gym or health club.  A lot of proprietary features.   Lordy lordy.