Author Topic: NOONAN: Even Texas Turns On Bush...  (Read 868 times)

Eldon

• Getbig III
NOONAN: Even Texas Turns On Bush...
« on: April 25, 2008, 05:23:00 AM »
NOONAN: Even Texas Turns On Bush...

By PEGGY NOONAN    

The View From Gate 14
April 25, 2008

"Here's some comfort for him, for all Democrats. In Lubbock, Texas – Lubbock Comma Texas, the heart of Texas conservatism – they dislike President Bush. He has lost them. I was there and saw it. Confusion has been followed by frustration has turned into resentment, and this is huge. Everyone knows the president's poll numbers are at historic lows, but if he is over in Lubbock, there is no place in this country that likes him. I made a speech and moved around and I was tough on him and no one – not one – defended or disagreed. I did the same in North Carolina recently, and again no defenders. I did the same in Fresno, Calif., and no defenders, not one.

He has left on-the-ground conservatives – the local right-winger, the town intellectual reading Burke and Kirk, the old Reagan committeewoman – feeling undefended, unrepresented and alone.

This will have impact down the road.

I finally understand the party nostalgia for Reagan. Everyone speaks of him now, but it wasn't that way in 2000, or 1992, or 1996, or even '04.

I think it is a manifestation of dislike for and disappointment in Mr. Bush. It is a turning away that is a turning back. It is a looking back to conservatism when conservatism was clear, knew what it was, was grounded in the facts of the world.

The reasons for the quiet break with Mr. Bush: spending, they say first, growth in the power and size of government, Iraq. I imagine some of this: a fine and bitter conservative sense that he has never had to stand in his stockinged feet at the airport holding the bin, being harassed. He has never had to live in the world he helped make, the one where grandma's hip replacement is setting off the beeper here and the child is crying there. And of course as a former president, with the entourage and the private jets, he never will. I bet conservatives don't like it. I'm certain Gate 14 doesn't."

http://online.wsj.com/article/declarations.html

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
Re: NOONAN: Even Texas Turns On Bush...
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 07:21:03 AM »
Run away government spending, his signature on the energy bill that's BUTT FVCKING America and the rest of the world, the 9 TRILLION dollar debt, the mishandling of Iraq, the decline of the dollar, the inability to reform social security... the list goes on and on.

The real sad thing is I doubt things would be much different if Gore or Kerry were President.  :-\

Sure, they would have handled the terrorism threat differently but we'd still be dependent on fossil fuels and I'm sure they both would have signed the energy bill mandating ethanol too.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 08:11:34 AM »
LOL he comes to one po dunk town in Texas and all of a sudden all of Texas is against him...mhuhehahwha i think he is jumping to an idiotic conclusion. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 08:16:59 AM »
The economy is strong.  John mccain said that last month.

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 08:55:52 AM »
Yes.  I still have money in my account, so why are you libs bitching?  Its all about me you dumbshits.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 10:56:37 AM »
I grew up in Texas and my entire family still lives there.

My dad is a HARDCORE lifetime republican (i.e. he truly thinks Obama is a terrorist)

but there are PLENTY of people in big cities and small towns who know full well why Bush truly sucks

Starting from the time when Bush and his cronies used eminent domain to seize private property to build their baseball stadium there are been people in Texas who knew what it was liked to get fucked by Bush.

He just moved on to bigger "arenas" and now seems to have found  a way to fuck the entire planet.