Author Topic: Peticure  (Read 3544 times)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
Peticure
« on: April 25, 2008, 07:38:38 AM »
http://www.peticure.com/

I ordered this and it finally came in a week ago. It works pretty good actually.  It is basically a dremel with a cover over it for safety (if you have a dremel you can buy just the cover thing to use on your dremel too).  I have a dremel (not one of the ones they had listed it fits though  >:() but I think this one is quieter and less scary for me to use because you can't get fur or a toe against the filing band.  The cover rotates around and there is different size holes that you use depending on the size of the nail, so I can do all 4 dogs with one.

Even Addie who HATES to have her nails done is much better with this.  She still gets antsy after about 2 feet, but that is 2 whole feet I can do!  I think dremeling is easier on dogs, especially dogs with big nails that you have to use a lot of pressure to clip.  Also less likely to hit a quick because you can remove a bit at a time.  And you can round the nail and not have a sharp edge.

I had read when I researched this that people were unhappy with the battery charge life, but it seemed like they had fixed that problem.  I haven't had it long enough to say whether the battery doesn't hold a charge. 

If you have an appropriate dremel the cover will fit I would look into getting this.   Or if your dog hates having his nails clipped and you are afraid to use an non covered dremel, then I would consider this.

You can wait to hear a follow-up review a few weeks from now on any problems I find before ordering and spending the $50.   :)

Initial review:

4 & a half out of 5 paws

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
Re: Peticure
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 08:07:40 AM »
hmm, looks like i'll have to pick one of these bad boys up. i wonder if they sell them at petco, petsmart, or those "as seen on TV" stores.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 10:35:51 AM »
Thanks!  My workout partner was talking about this and I told her I'd start a thread...but I forgot.

Thanks I will send her this link :)
R

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 10:46:10 AM »
Thanks!  My workout partner was talking about this and I told her I'd start a thread...but I forgot.

Thanks I will send her this link :)

I'll be using it again this weekend so I will post back on the battery if it's an issue or anything else. If they have a dremel then the battery wouldn't be an issue obviously and I would spend the $20 and try it out.  It's $50 for the whole thing and I think the filing bands are $15 for 20 (includes shipping for the bands!)  Their is also Peticure Petite if you are doing a cat or toy dogs which is cheaper too.   

They say on the website 4 week delivery, and it was just over 4 weeks.  Just the cover alone might be faster than the whole unit?

(did you like my little paw rating?   ;D )

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 10:48:54 AM »

(did you like my little paw rating?   ;D )[/color]
;D
R

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 10:49:27 AM »
hmm, looks like i'll have to pick one of these bad boys up. i wonder if they sell them at petco, petsmart, or those "as seen on TV" stores.

I only found it on their website.  I think because of the lead-time that is the only place you can get it.  I know it is not sold in pet stores.  Googling I only found it at their site.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 10:53:44 AM »
;D

I made the 1/2 paw myself
;)

Oh- the cover catches all of the "filings/dust" which I emptied in between dogs when I was doing all of them.  I will also add that their is a slight smell when dremeling, you can only do each nail for about 3-5 seconds because it does generate heat, but you can go right down the paw a few times and the nails won't heat up because their will be time between filing them.  The website has videos and directions on it that explain all that.

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 06:11:37 PM »
That sounds kinda cool, Ive been using the Cheerio routine lately
X

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 12:02:09 PM »
http://groomblog.blogspot.com/2007/12/peticure-tool-disappoints-groomers.html

i'm thinking a standard dremel might be a better solution.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 08:53:07 AM »
Yep, I mentioned coming across those in my review, I think they have worked out the problem.

I think the Peticure is quieter than a dremel and you don't have to worry about hitting a toe or getting hair wrapped around it (with long haired breeds that can be a problem of if the groomer has long hair!) You can buy the cover and use that on your own dremel if you have one that it says it will fit.  I have a dremel but not one that they listed.  I haven't checked to see if the cover will fit it or not.

You can certainly use a dremel, in fact last night I used the Peticure without the cover, it was a little louder and dust goes everywhere because it is not being caught in the cover, and I did manage to get a few strands of my hair wrapped around it.   ::)    Great Dane nails are HUGE especially males and to get the underside of them I couldn't with the cover on so I took it off.  This allowed me to clean up the underside of the nails easier.  So I may look into using my dremel sometime and see how they do.  Now on a low speed I can dremel my skin and it doesn't hurt, like the speed I would use for Tad, higher speeds you would want to be careful about hitting a paw pad or your hand most likely which the cover does prevent.   

Tad is about the only one I really need a cover for, he is a squirmer so being able to stick his nail in a hole is easier than trying to hold his foot still with a sanding wheel that is huge compared to his foot and hoping he doesn't wiggle and get zapped with it.   So the cover is nice if you want to do a quick job on dogs that aren't being cooperative and make sure they don't get hurt (stick the nail in the hole and no worry about toes getting hit if they move), if they are used to it or being good then a dremel can be fine.  I will probably use both for my pack of 4.

You should read and print out Dober Dawns dremeling info:

http://homepages.udayton.edu/~merensjp/doberdawn/dremel/dremel.html

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 03:49:15 PM »
hm. now i'm thinking i should take a second look. it's just too bad the site hoodwinks you into thinking the thing costs $30 when if your dog is over 15 pounds it's $50.  ::)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 03:58:21 PM »
If you know someone who has a dremel you could try using that before buying either. (provided they have the correct sanding wheel to use).  Your dog is not long haired and and the nails are not super tiny so you could be fine with a dremel once the dog is used to it (if he has any problem).

Also clippers may be just fine for you, maybe a file to take the sharp edges off if you want (but they will get worn off in exercise). If I didn't have Great Danes who are a pain to clip and hurts them more because of the pressure it takes to get through them, I would just be using clippers probably.  I have used clippers for almost 7 years, lol! 

When you go and spend time with him play with his feet so he gets used to them being handled if you are not already.  Hold a foot and touch a toe and tell him he is good boy.  Can make doing nails however you do them much easier. 

I did that with Tad from day one but he still can be a pain.   >:(  He's a whiney chi though.
   ;D

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 04:16:20 PM »
i've been trying the foot holding thing and, now that he's kinda used to me, he's extra exuberant. it's not that he seems to dislike being handled, he just flails and hops and plays all the time. gonna take a little time to get him to settle, methinks.  ::)

that's why the Peticure seems attractive. my hands aren't steady (hooray for tremors) and he moves like mad, so the less i have to worry about making him bleed the better. i nipped the quick today trying to get at a long nail i'd missed before and he bled. he didn't seem to even notice, but i felt bad.  :(

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 07:35:54 AM »
With a dremel or Peticure their is less chance of bleeding because you are filing in layers and not clipping. You could always file too much of course if you went nuts but much less chance of that.  With the dremel you  have to watch for heat, so you don't stay on one spot (or nail) too long especially if they are not overly long and you are just touching them up.

He may be better once he is home, when you are visiting him he wants to play where at home you could find some quiet time. 

I can do all 4 paws of Addie now without much hassle.  She still will pull a paw away but nothing like with the clippers where she will get up and move and then tuck her feet under while smacking me with another foot.   ::)  There is not the association of the pressure like with the clipper and no hit quicks, so I expect that she will (all of them actually) will just get better over time, especially when it is just quick touch ups and over with quickly. 

I don't know what color nails he has, but except for Briona, almost all of their nails are black (Bri has some black ones too) which makes it harder to judge where the quick is and with clipping too late once you do it, but the dremel you can take off a bit at a time.  Addie's nails were horrendous when I got her and I hit a quick or 2 almost every time just to take anything off and try and get them to recede.  We still have a few longer than I would like, but much much better and I think the dremeling will help because I can do them more often without having to wrestle her. 

Don't worry that you nicked Hurley especially if he didn't notice, it has looked like a mass murder in my house before!!! 

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2008, 09:33:36 AM »
hopefully you're right and it's just that he's all extra playful. i'll play it by ear. fortunately he's only got three black nails and the rest are clear, but i've got some work ahead of me in moving the quick back.