Author Topic: Governor paints positive picture for Hawaii’s economy  (Read 1585 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Governor paints positive picture for Hawaii’s economy
« on: April 26, 2008, 11:02:37 AM »
Just an example of how things aren't so bad everywhere in the country.  I largely credit Governor Lingle for this.  She is outstanding. 

Governor paints positive picture for Hawaii’s economy
By Nina Wu
nwu@starbulletin.com
Gov. Linda Lingle painted a positive outlook for the state during her keynote luncheon speech before the Hawaii Economic Association yesterday.

Blaming the media for highlighting negative stories about the nation's economic woes, she contended that Hawaii's economy is not so bleak.

"People locally continue to hear these reports and commentaries about how bad the economy is and how it keeps getting worse," said Lingle early in her speech. "But the fact is that many of these stories simply don't apply to Hawaii."

While the closing of Molokai Ranch, followed by the shutdown of Aloha Airlines and ATA Airlines were unfortunate, she said they are not a reflection of weak fundamentals in Hawaii's economy.

"Our state's economic growth has slowed, but it has not stopped," said Lingle. "Many important indicators show moderate growth, that, when contrasted with the rest of the nation, is a fortunate position for Hawaii."

Among the statistics she cited were a projection by the Council on Revenues of 3.9 percent growth for this fiscal year, along with a forecast by the state Department of Business, Economic Development and Tourism of a 2.5 percent increase in gross domestic product this calendar year and next.

"The latest forecast from the University of Hawaii Economic Research Organization predicts that our state will not slip into a recession," she said.

In addition, Hawaii's unemployment rate is tied for fourth-lowest in the nation in March, she said, besides having experienced positive job growth during each of the first three months of 2008.

Lingle said Hawaii has largely escaped the single most damaging factor to the nation's economy -- the subprime mortgage crisis. Hawaii continues to rank No. 45 in the nation in foreclosure rates.

Bond raters, such as Standard & Poor's and Moody's, continue to give Hawaii a high rating, due to its fiscal conservatism, positive tax revenue and employment growth.

Lingle invited the business community to step up to the plate.

"I am a firm believer that during an economic slowdown, businesses should not hunker down, be stagnant and adopt a defensive mentality," she said. "This only exacerbates the situation. Rather, these are times when true business leaders adapt, look for efficiencies, cut non-essential costs, exercise outstanding entrepreneurial skills and capitalize on opportunities that arise."

The state's proposed purchase of Turtle Bay Resort is one such opportunity, she said.

She said the state would move forward on its $2.3 billion investment into upgrading the state's airports over the next 12 years, as well as modernizing its harbors.

Other long-term economic drivers for growth include the arrival of Walt Disney Co. at the Ko Olina Resort, along with the Department of Hawaiian Home Lands' planned mall in Kapolei, ongoing military contracts, and emerging visitor markets in Taiwan and China.

The state, however, must end its over-reliance on land development and tourism, she said, and focus more on an innovation economy.

"If we overdevelop, we destroy our spectacular natural resources and the unique quality of life that are Hawaii's most valuable assets that define this place and define us as people," said Lingle.

Educational programs encouraging students to pursue science, technology, engineering and math are vital to this innovation economy.

Every high school should have a robotics team, she said.

Also, the governor emphasized that Hawaii must take a path toward energy independence through renewable power.

Hawaii is currently the most oil-dependent state in the country, and energy costs are stifling the state's economic growth, she said.

"My administration is aggressively pursuing energy independence today," said Lingle, citing a recent initiative to replace 70 percent of the state's power with clean energy sources by 2030 in partnership with the U.S. Department of Energy.

Instead of spending $5 billion importing oil to Hawaii each year, that money could be invested in renewable energy enterprises at home, she said.

"We have an incredible opportunity for energy transformation, with abundant, diverse renewable resources that rival any place on Earth," said Lingle. "From solar and photovoltaic, to wind, to geothermal, to wave, to ocean thermal energy conversion, to biofuel -- the possibilities are vast."

http://starbulletin.com/2008/04/26/business/story01.html

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Governor paints positive picture for Hawaii’s economy
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 11:29:36 AM »
Just an example of how things aren't so bad everywhere in the country.

As someone who has seen his state economy suffer (and local jobs dry up in less than 6 months) when the tourism industry lessens...

I have to ask if you've considered the possibility that a recession in the other 49 states means a few less people will come to your state and blow money every year?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 11:53:22 AM »

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 11:54:43 AM »
weak copy of something I owned you with 10 minutes ago.

Dork.

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 04:27:21 AM »
BB, I want you to post on this topic again 6 months from now.

I want to see how the sky rocketing price of gasoline is going to effect the tourism business in Hawaii.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 05:57:48 AM »

I want to see how the sky rocketing price of gasoline is going to effect the tourism business in Hawaii.

What's going to happen, is...

Sagging economy in the mainland 48 states means people have less $ to spend on vacation.

Less of them will go to Hawaii.

Less tourism dollars, coupled with high cost of living in HI, means it's going to take a shit.

Anyone who has been here a few months knows that Beach Bum speaks out of his ass most of the time.  He is the anti-gun, anti-free speech "republican" moderator here. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 09:14:20 PM »

I tell you what, whenever the Governor speaks substantively about the economy I'll update this thread.  I doubt our state economy tanks so long as she is governor and we don’t have another terrorist attack that shuts down our transportation system.  She is a tremendous leader.  Among other things, some of the lowest unemployment in the country and a billion dollar budget turn around on her watch.  She could be president IMO. 

I have watched the price of gas more than triple in the years I've lived here, but the tourists keep coming.  The only time I've seen a significant downturn in tourism is post-9/11.

I haven't looked at numbers from our Department of Business and Economic Development lately, but anecdotally I see the airports full of people and I'm there almost once a week.  Even though the price of airline tickets has about doubled in recent months with the closure of Aloha Airlines and rising fuel costs, it doesn't look to me like the numbers have slowed.  But that's just my experience.  I imagine there will be some negative impact, but as the Governor said, I doubt we go into a recession here.     

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 04:15:41 AM »
I tell you what, whenever the Governor speaks substantively about the economy I'll update this thread.  I doubt our state economy tanks so long as she is governor and we don’t have another terrorist attack that shuts down our transportation system.  She is a tremendous leader.  Among other things, some of the lowest unemployment in the country and a billion dollar budget turn around on her watch.  She could be president IMO. 

I have watched the price of gas more than triple in the years I've lived here, but the tourists keep coming.  The only time I've seen a significant downturn in tourism is post-9/11.

I haven't looked at numbers from our Department of Business and Economic Development lately, but anecdotally I see the airports full of people and I'm there almost once a week.  Even though the price of airline tickets has about doubled in recent months with the closure of Aloha Airlines and rising fuel costs, it doesn't look to me like the numbers have slowed.  But that's just my experience.  I imagine there will be some negative impact, but as the Governor said, I doubt we go into a recession here.     

You kiss a lot of governor ass.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 08:44:17 AM »
w8tlftr looks like there was a slight dip in visitor arrivals from March 07, but that was mainly due to the Japanese.  Arrivals from the U.S. West (our biggest contingent) actually increased, spending increased, and the length of stay increased:

Hawaii visitor arrivals dip 1% in March

E-mail this article
By Robbie Dingeman
Advertiser Staff Writer

The number of visitors to Hawai'i dipped slightly in March from the same month a year earlier, but the decline is expected to be much steeper in April when the closures of Aloha and ATA airlines are reflected in the data.

Arrivals fell by 1 percent to 666,167 in March, according to a report from the state Department of Business, Economic Development and Tourism. The decline came as a surprise to some tourism officials, who had expected Easter and spring break to help boost arrivals.

Despite the overall decline in arrivals, visitor spending rose to $1.1 billion, a 4.4 percent increase over March 2007. Average daily spending rose to $180 per person in March from $175 per person the same month last year.

In addition, visitors increased the average length of their stay to nine days in March from 8.78 days the same month a year earlier. Total visitor days rose to just under 6 million, a 1.4 percent increase from March 2007.

Among the top four visitor markets, arrivals from Japan fell 11.9 percent, while arrivals from the U.S. East tumbled 8.2 percent from a year earlier. Arrivals rose 16.3 percent from Canada and 1.9 percent from the U.S. West.

. . . .

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080429/BUSINESS02/804290338&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 08:48:42 AM »

Hawaii visitor arrivals dip 1% in March

the decline is expected to be much steeper in April
The decline came as a surprise

The decline was only a surprise to idiots:
it doesn't look to me like the numbers have slowed. 

Despite the overall decline in arrivals, visitor spending rose to $1.1 billion, a 4.4 percent increase over March 2007. Average daily spending rose to $180 per person in March from $175 per person the same month last year.

In addition, visitors increased the average length of their stay to nine days in March from 8.78 days the same month a year earlier. Total visitor days rose to just under 6 million, a 1.4 percent increase from March 2007.

"Honey, it's our last vacation before the dollar collapses.  We might as well spend am extra $5 and stay an extra 3 hours."

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 08:55:31 AM »
Who's interested in Hawaii's economy?  Let's stick to american topics.  This "Hawaii" Beach Bum writes of sounds a bit too good to be true if you ask me.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 09:03:26 AM »
Who's interested in Hawaii's economy?  Let's stick to american topics.  This "Hawaii" Beach Bum writes of sounds a bit too good to be true if you ask me.

:D

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 09:17:37 AM »
:D

Man, someday I would love to take the wife there for a visit.

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 09:24:43 AM »
Man, someday I would love to take the wife there for a visit.

Me too. Beautiful pic.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2008, 10:35:16 AM »
Beach Bum, how long have you been in this Hawaii?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2008, 11:44:48 AM »
Beach Bum, how long have you been in this Hawaii?

Fifteen years.  As I like to say, the only way I'm leaving this rock is in a pine box or when Jesus comes, whichever happens first.  :)  It is a privilege and a blessing to live here. 

The picture I posted is of Hanauma Bay.  It has to be one of the most beautiful spots on earth.  The fish and turtles swim right by you in just a few feet of water. 

Here is part of the view from my favorite spot on the island (Makapuu Lighthouse). 

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2008, 12:00:13 PM »
Looks like you made a good call on relocating.

Here's prettied up shot of where I work:

I'm at the second building from the right.

The lake michigan cliffs are rugged and the lake is always about 55 degrees.  Not exactly vacation selling points but I like it.  If you've ever seen the east coast, it's sort of like that.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2008, 12:08:45 PM »
Looks like you made a good call on relocating.

Here's prettied up shot of where I work:

I'm at the second building from the right.

The lake michigan cliffs are rugged and the lake is always about 55 degrees.  Not exactly vacation selling points but I like it.  If you've ever seen the east coast, it's sort of like that.

That's actually a pretty nice view.  Looks like a great spot to work.  Here is part of the view from my office (not taken from my office):

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2008, 12:46:50 PM »
Wow, you guys have big freeways.  4 Lanes and no waiting.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2008, 01:57:40 PM »
Wow, you guys have big freeways.  4 Lanes and no waiting.

That's not a freeway.  It's a boulevard.  Gets pretty stacked up.  Certain parts of our highways are terrible at times.  Took me nearly 45 minutes to get from the airport to my office yesterday, which is only about 5 miles away.