Author Topic: animated ribbons in arenas & stadiums on TV  (Read 878 times)

PTB

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
animated ribbons in arenas & stadiums on TV
« on: April 27, 2008, 12:58:38 PM »
Because I can't find any info on this or where to start, I'm placing this here.

Unless my eyes are deceiving me, I've noticed over the last few years that on televised
sporting programs in arenas and stadiums, you apparently have these animated, often
scrolling "ribbons", that go around the 1st and sometimes 2nd tiers (if exists), where most of the
banner and advertising ads are.  It appears sometimes as one advertiser that scrolls all the way
around the 1 or two rings, often times changing color as it moves.

They appear to be shown when they have a pull away shot, showing the entire arena,
but up close it looks normal, with the standard advertising banners, rally signs, scoreboards, etc.,
that are just static.

It is my imagination, or is it a special effect done by the broadcast?  And if it is a special effect,
then does anyone know what it is called?

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
Re: animated ribbons in arenas & stadiums on TV
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 03:57:30 PM »
Because I can't find any info on this or where to start, I'm placing this here.

Unless my eyes are deceiving me, I've noticed over the last few years that on televised
sporting programs in arenas and stadiums, you apparently have these animated, often
scrolling "ribbons", that go around the 1st and sometimes 2nd tiers (if exists), where most of the
banner and advertising ads are.  It appears sometimes as one advertiser that scrolls all the way
around the 1 or two rings, often times changing color as it moves.

They appear to be shown when they have a pull away shot, showing the entire arena,
but up close it looks normal, with the standard advertising banners, rally signs, scoreboards, etc.,
that are just static.

It is my imagination, or is it a special effect done by the broadcast?  And if it is a special effect,
then does anyone know what it is called?

There are animated banners in Yankee stadium, but I don't recall ads circling during the game.  They just show scoring updates during the games, and the animation comes in between innnings.

Or I could be full of shit and not remembering correctly, but I would think circling ads would distract a hitter during the game.
Y

PTB

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: animated ribbons in arenas & stadiums on TV
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 09:27:12 AM »
I've been to Yankee stadium as well, and yes there are animated banners, but not the ones I'm talking about,
and you're more likely to see them in a closed arena, than in a stadium.  Check for the next NBA playoff game
and look for the shots where they show the whole arena like these:

and you should see the "ribbons".  I would think if they
were indeed real, they could distract those players also.