Author Topic: Dave Jacobs publicly alleges selling to Matt Lehr  (Read 2871 times)

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
  • http://www.liftstudios.com
Dave Jacobs publicly alleges selling to Matt Lehr
« on: April 27, 2008, 06:05:27 PM »
This story broke today in Dallas:

Plano steroids trafficker publicly alleges selling to former Dallas Cowboys player
By JASON TRAHAN and GARY JACOBSON / The Dallas Morning News

Convicted Plano steroids trafficker David Jacobs said publicly for the first time this weekend that he sold large amounts of illegal performance-enhancing drugs to ex-Dallas Cowboys offensive lineman Matt Lehr.

He also said that in 2006, Mr. Lehr used a hair-loss-prevention drug that can also act as a masking agent for steroid use. Mr. Jacobs said federal investigators confiscated a bottle of that medicine from Mr. Jacobs – a bottle he says Mr. Lehr gave to him. The label bore an NFL team logo, along with Mr. Lehr's name, Mr. Jacobs said.

Mr. Lehr played four seasons with the Cowboys, leaving after 2004. Since then, he has played with the Atlanta Falcons and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and he recently signed with the New Orleans Saints.

Mr. Lehr tested positive for a banned substance while with Atlanta in October 2006 and was suspended for four games. Authorities in Mr. Jacobs' case are investigating Mr. Lehr on allegations that he distributed steroids, possibly to other players, but he has not been charged with any crime.

Mr. Lehr's lawyer says that his client has not used banned substances since his suspension and has passed NFL drug tests.

"Mr. Jacobs has peddled these tales to the government unsuccessfully," said Paul Coggins, Mr. Lehr's attorney.

"He is a confessed felon awaiting sentencing, and is desperate to implicate others to shorten his sentence," Mr. Coggins said. "He has also told many individuals that he would end Matt's career because Matt would not pay Mr. Jacobs' attorneys' fees. The clock on Mr. Jacobs' 15 minutes of infamy has long since run out."

Legal in NFL
The use of finasteride, sold under the trade names Propecia and Proscar, has been reviewed by the National Football League, a spokesman said Saturday, but its use has not been banned. It is prohibited by the World Anti-Doping Agency, which oversees international competition such as the Olympics.

In a telephone interview Saturday, Gary Wadler, head of WADA's prohibited list subcommittee, said research has proved that finasteride is a "significant" masking agent for some steroids. WADA has banned the drug since 2005.

The NFL "should adopt the prohibited list of WADA," Dr. Wadler said.

In an e-mail Saturday, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league's "independent scientific and medical advisors reviewed finasteride several years ago and did not recommend its addition to the prohibited list. It was reviewed again in 2005 when the World Anti-Doping Agency decided to ban it, but the advisors' recommendation was unchanged. Consistent with our normal practice, however, we review our policy each off season and consider potential additions to the Prohibited List." The NFL, Mr. Aiello pointed out, does ban some substances that WADA does not.

Mr. Jacobs, 35, said, "I sold steroids and a significant amount of growth hormone to Matt Lehr." He said Mr. Lehr's purchases totaled tens of thousands of dollars from spring 2006 to spring 2007, significantly larger quantities than could be for personal use.

At one point, Mr. Jacobs said, Mr. Lehr agreed to have boxes of raw steroid powder from China shipped to Mr. Lehr's house in Georgia. Mr. Jacobs said he asked his former friend to do this because too many packages headed to his Plano house were being seized by U.S. Customs.

On the radar
Mr. Jacobs said that when his operation was shut down by a government raid a year ago, authorities seized evidence of transactions with Mr. Lehr. Mr. Jacobs said that when federal agents questioned him, they already knew about Mr. Lehr, saying they had been monitoring his operation for some time.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers spokesman Jeff Kamis said: "Internally, we were told that the investigation against Matt had been closed. That came directly from Matt's lawyer."

"We have no response," Falcons spokesman Reggie Roberts said about Mr. Jacobs' allegations. "I know nothing about any of this."

Mr. Jacobs, a bodybuilder and personal trainer, said he passed along the masking trick to Mr. Lehr before the 2006 season. Mr. Jacobs said that Mr. Lehr told him he passed the advice about finasteride to other NFL players.

Mr. Jacobs said that when Mr. Lehr took him to visit other NFL players, they thanked him for his help. He declined to publicly name those players.

Mr. Jacobs said Mr. Lehr obtained finasteride from an NFL team doctor. The bottle had a team logo on it, he said.

"When I was at Lehr's house, we were going through his prescriptions and he showed me a bottle and he said, 'Look, here, I got it,' " Mr. Jacobs said.

Mr. Lehr gave Mr. Jacobs a bottle of the medicine to use, Mr. Jacobs said. He said that's the bottle that wound up with investigators.

Among bodybuilders and pro athletes, finasteride is a well-known masking agent for steroids. It also helps prevent acne, a common side effect of steroid use.

Mr. Jacobs said Mr. Lehr and other football players got their prescriptions by telling their doctors they were "losing their hair because of pulling their helmets on and off."

Mr. Aiello said there is no league requirement for players to go through team doctors for their prescriptions. Some do, some don't, he said.

Large operation
Mr. Jacobs is at the center of what investigators say was one of the largest steroid distribution operations in the U.S. He sold his concoctions to professional and amateur bodybuilders, and allegedly to NFL players and some police officers.

Authorities also are pursuing possible links between Mr. Jacobs' network and some of the pharmacies and anti-aging clinics in New York and Florida that serviced professional baseball players and other athletes. And one of Mr. Jacobs' co-defendants told The Dallas Morning News that he sold small amounts of performance-enhancing drugs to the owner of a Houston weight-loss clinic linked to baseball great Roger Clemens.

Mr. Jacobs said he was speaking out now because he was angry about Mr. Coggins' statements last week to The News.

"We have been told by the prosecutors that they do not intend to bring charges against Matt Lehr in connection with their ongoing steroid investigation," Mr. Coggins said Wednesday.

"It's an issue of right and wrong," Mr. Jacobs said. "I'm taking responsibility for my actions. And I'm not blaming people for my mistakes. I'm not going to lay down while other people attack my character and my integrity and accuse me of extortion and lies and making up information. It's time for Matt to be a man."

U.S. Attorney John Ratcliffe, whose office is leading the Jacobs inquiry, said Friday that "our investigation into the trafficking of illegal steroids and human growth hormone remains ongoing, and all credible information that may identify additional defendants is being pursued."

He has declined to talk about the status of Mr. Lehr or any others being investigated in the case.

Mr. Jacobs has pleaded guilty and is expected to receive three years' probation Thursday. Six other co-defendants also await sentencing.

jtrahan@dallasnews.com; gjacobson@dallasnews.com
Elevate Your Image.™

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
Re: Dave Jacobs publicly alleges selling to Matt Lehr
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 06:06:23 PM »
Jacobs: rat or no rat?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 06:08:55 PM »
Male Pattern Baldness... curse thee.

Matt C

• Getbig V
  • The White Vince Goodrum
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 06:10:24 PM »
I look forward to the responses by people like Howie and those like him who will ask why the US government doesn't go after bodybuilders if they are trying to demonize steroids.

Why?  Because they want YOUR ATTENTION DIVERTED as they occupy foreign nations illegally and implement massive bank and political fraud.  Putting the heat on bodybuilders won't sell newspapers and distract you.  It's all a media ploy, that's why.
Bodybuilding Pro.com

Meltdown

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 06:32:47 PM »
Hide doesn't agree with your statement. ::)

thisiskeith12

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 06:50:50 PM »
If you ain't MusclePhone, you're last.

:D

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 07:18:44 PM »
Musclephone is highly sought after even by the US government. Its technology is unknown, though assumed to be of alien origin.

As for the article.. Well, it's not exactly a surprise.

Alex23

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 07:20:14 PM »

Hi Taladega Keith ;D

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 08:28:23 PM »
The use of finasteride, sold under the trade names Propecia and Proscar, has been reviewed by the National Football League, a spokesman said Saturday, but its use has not been banned. It is prohibited by the World Anti-Doping Agency, which oversees international competition such as the Olympics.

In a telephone interview Saturday, Gary Wadler, head of WADA's prohibited list subcommittee, said research has proved that finasteride is a "significant" masking agent for some steroids. WADA has banned the drug since 2005.

The NFL "should adopt the prohibited list of WADA," Dr. Wadler said.

Screw you, Dr. Wadler.

It's the NATIONAL Football League, you arrogant prick.  You just worry about your corrupt little Olympics.

Matt C

• Getbig V
  • The White Vince Goodrum
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 08:29:34 PM »
Hide doesn't agree with your statement. ::)

Don't look at individuals, look at trends.  On the grand scale, what I'm saying holds true.
Bodybuilding Pro.com

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2008, 08:43:13 PM »
hold the fuck up. Propecia can masked the used of roids and hgh? ???
A

TechnoViking

• Getbig V
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die...----HST
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2008, 11:29:45 PM »
NFL has some deep pockets...

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 08:13:31 AM »
hmmm

Kegdrainer

• Getbig IV
  • team yeah buddy
dave jacobs, all drugs.
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2008, 11:42:19 AM »
discuss
This is dave in 2004, obviously not on the sauce, looks like a guy in my IT department.

Dave jacobs a month ago in the kitchen where he manufactured steroids from chinese supply powders.  Obviously did a bit of taste testing.

Kegdrainer

• Getbig IV
  • team yeah buddy
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2008, 11:58:04 AM »
by the way, Sevatestes can make these gains in only 2 months on 750 mg Sustanon/week.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2008, 12:57:20 PM »
wow, nice gains :o :o :o
A

Faust

• Getbig IV
  • It's a league game, Smokey
Re: dave jacobs, all drugs.
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2008, 01:08:14 PM »
discuss
This is dave in 2004, obviously not on the sauce, looks like a guy in my IT department.

Dave jacobs a month ago in the kitchen where he manufactured steroids from chinese supply powders.  Obviously did a bit of taste testing.
That finasteride didn't do that much for his hair though.

Maybe that's what caused him to flip?
$

Alex23

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2008, 06:20:12 PM »

Ricky Bobby Loves Musclephone.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2008, 06:24:32 PM »
hold the fuck up. Propecia can masked the used of roids and hgh? ???
i dont think so... thats what these olympic guys say "its being used as a masking agent"... but i have never heard of that...the reaosn guys use it is because propecia is to dht what letro/adex is to estogren...its an alpha reductase inhibitor..

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2008, 06:33:41 PM »
i dont think so... thats what these olympic guys say "its being used as a masking agent"... but i have never heard of that...the reaosn guys use it is because propecia is to dht what letro/adex is to estogren...its an alpha reductase inhibitor..

Nah I think it's used for masking. Of course problem is it itself is on the banned list - but you can always say you used it for the hairline or prostate. Nothing positive comes from blocking DHT performance wise.

Ther Drug Monit. 2007 Apr;29(2):236-47.Click here to read Links
    Doping-control analysis of the 5alpha-reductase inhibitor finasteride: determination of its influence on urinary steroid profiles and detection of its major urinary metabolite.
    Thevis M, Geyer H, Mareck U, Flenker U, Schänzer W.

Center for Preventive Doping Research, Institute of Biochemistry, German Sport University Cologne, Cologne, Germany. m.thevis@biochem.dshs-koeln.de

5alpha-Reductase inhibitors such as finasteride are prohibited in sports according to the World Anti-Doping Agency. This class of drugs is used therapeutically to treat benign prostatic hyperplasia, as well as male baldness, by decreasing 5alpha-reductase activity. Accordingly, metabolic pathways of endogenous as well as synthetic steroids are influenced, which complicates the evaluation of steroid profiles in sports drug testing. The possibility of manipulating steroid excretion profiles and, presumably, to mask steroid abuse was investigated in 5 administration studies with use of finasteride at different doses, with and without coadministration of 19-norandrostenedione. The evaluation of urinary steroid profiles demonstrated the intense effect of finasteride on numerous crucial analytical parameters, in particular the production of 5alpha-steroids such as androsterone and 5alpha-androstane-3alpha,17beta-diol, which was significantly reduced. In addition, the excretion of the main metabolite of norandrostenedione, norandrosterone, was significantly suppressed, by up to 84%, in elimination studies. For doping-control analysis the use of 5alpha-reductase inhibitors causes considerable problems because steroid profile parameters, which are commonly considered stable, are highly affected and complicate the detection of steroid abuse. In addition, the suppression of production and renal excretion of 5alpha-steroids such as 19-norandrosterone generated from anabolic agents such as 19-norandrostenedione may lead to false-negative doping-control results, because urine specimens are reported positive only when a threshold level of 2 ng/mL is exceeded. Finally, a method for the determination of the major urinary metabolite of finasteride (carboxy-finasteride) in routine doping-control screening with use of liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry is described, allowing the detection of carboxy-finasteride for up to 94 hours in urine specimens collected after an oral administration of 5 mg of finasteride.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2008, 06:35:48 PM »
Nah I think it's used for masking. Of course problem is it itself is on the banned list - but you can always say you used it for the hairline or prostate. Nothing positive comes from blocking DHT performance wise.
more testosterone..  why wouldnt that be positive ?

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2008, 06:47:04 PM »
more testosterone..  why wouldnt that be positive ?

Well for one DHT is sort of a "natural" anti-estrogen. DHT is important for mood and libido. I don't see how eliminating DHT does anything positive, especially in someone who is on exogenous testosterone. Test is sky high anyway, no use in trying to increase levels further with finasteride.

Alex23

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2008, 07:00:24 PM »
Well for one DHT is sort of a "natural" anti-estrogen. DHT is important for mood and libido. I don't see how eliminating DHT does anything positive, especially in someone who is on exogenous testosterone. Test is sky high anyway, no use in trying to increase levels further with finasteride.

Fina blocks some metabolites produced when free test gets deactivated if I remember correctly

Faust

• Getbig IV
  • It's a league game, Smokey
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2008, 01:47:51 AM »
DHT is a powerful anabolic, so your cycle will be more effective when not using fina.
But it has a lot of side effects. Acne, hair loss, prostate growth, ...

If you are lucky your body doesn't convert much test to DHT. I think that's the case for lot of top pros. Cutler, Coleman, Schlierkampf, ... seem to keep their hair, and don't have too much acne.
$