Author Topic: Bigger, Stronger, Faster - Coming to a theater near you?  (Read 2414 times)

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
Bigger, Stronger, Faster - Coming to a theater near you?
« on: April 28, 2008, 12:51:55 PM »
Looks like a new documentary on steroids is coming out this summer.  (See review at http://www.ifc.com/film/film-guy-stronger-fas.php and film web site at http://www.biggerstrongerfastermovie.com/)  Could be interesting.

Here is the movie synopsis:

In America, we define ourselves in the superlative: we are the biggest, strongest, fastest country in the world. We reward speed, size and above all else: winning – at sport, at business and at war. Metaphorically we are a nation on steroids. Is it any wonder that so many of our heroes are on performance enhancing drugs?

From the producers of Bowling For Columbine and Fahrenheit 9/11 comes a new film that unflinchingly explores our win-at-all-cost culture through the lens of a personal journey. Blending comedy and pathos, BIGGER, STRONGER, FASTER* is a collision of pop culture, animated sequences and first-person narrative, with a diverse cast including US Congressmen, professional athletes, medical experts and everyday gym rats.

At its heart, this is the story of director Christopher Bell and his two brothers, who grew up idolizing muscular giants like Hulk Hogan, Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger, and who went on to become members of the steroid-subculture in an effort to realize their American dream. When you discover that your heroes have all broken the rules, do you follow the rules, or do you follow your heroes?

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
Re: Bigger, Stronger, Faster - Coming to a theater near you?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 12:59:14 PM »
hahahaa, Stallone and Hulk Hogan are "muscular giants"?

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 12:59:44 PM »
 ::)

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 01:26:05 PM »
Oh my... but maybe it's mildly entertaining.

bigbadwolfe

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
  • Bigger Stronger Fatter then you!!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 01:57:46 PM »
They came to Westside and documented our bench training there. Should be some good vid footage in there of just FREAKS going at it. I'm going to go see it!!!

Tom

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 02:05:34 PM »
of course the biggest question is just how accurate will this film, what side it will take on the bb world and steroid culture! will it be a
"steroids are bad, bad, bad right-wing fox news hatchet job" or will it be fair and accurate detailing yes, the bad of steroids, but also the fact that done right they are useful in healing people as well as for bb purposes. i wonder?

will they show bber's and the bb world as idiots, losers, etcetera. will they have dumbass arm chair 98 pound "experts" and "news reporters" who have no clue to even how to work out or what the hell creatine and glutamine is, and yet their in a film so their "opinion" will be believed by the majority of the american public? hopefully only the percentage of people who know about bb, working out, taking juice, etcetera will see and if it's a hatchet dumbass piece of shit film that spreads and confirms the stupid lies and ignorance of 90 percent of the american population, that only this small percentage of people i just mentioned will see it, so it won't damn bb and the bb/fitness world anymore than necessary!

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 03:00:09 PM »
Per IMDB.com, this guy saw the film at the Sundance Film Festival and claims that the filmmakers were pretty objective.  (See quote below and more at http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1151309/usercomments)  Another reviewer on IMDB seems to be the type that wants a steroid-bashing documentary and actually says that the filmmaker's defend steroid use.

"I just recently saw this film at Sundance Film Festival. I loved it. It was the best of the three documentary competition movies I was able to watch. Chris Bell does an amazing job taking an intimate, honest look at American culture and Steroid use. He essentially sets up himself and his family as a case study for his movie. He looks at himself and his family in an honest, open, and introspective manner. He causes the viewer to reevaluate their pre-conceived notions of steroid use and American values. His investigations on the subject include interviews with experts including his own mother and Olympic greats Carl Lewis and Ben Johnson. It is thought provoking, clever, and insightful, all while remaining objective. All things that define a great documentary in my book."

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 09:47:33 AM »
Here is a recent interview with the filmmaker: 
http://www.cinematical.com/2008/04/30/tribeca-interview-bigger-stronger-faster-director-chris-be/

Got to love this quote:  "Arnold Schwarzenegger is somebody telling us one thing on one TV show, and another thing on another TV show. He says we should crack down on steroids, but then he's at his bodybuilding show, saying, "Look how ripped these guys are, I'm so proud of them," and it's like ten guys on stage, all on steroids. They don't drug test for steroids, but there hasn't been a professional bodybuilder competition in years where every guy hasn't been on steroids. I mean, you might find one or two natural guys, but you'd be hard pressed to find a natural bodybuilder in a pro-show."

willie mosconi

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 06:36:53 PM »
any news as to whether this is being shown in the LA area?

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 06:40:28 PM »
any news as to whether this is being shown in the LA area?

Yes it is I think. In the USA today yesterday I think they said it was being released in LA and NY this Friday.
E

willie mosconi

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2008, 09:26:06 PM »
Yes it is I think. In the USA today yesterday I think they said it was being released in LA and NY this Friday.

thanks. I'll be sure to look out for it.

Moosejay

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2008, 09:35:46 PM »
Here is a recent interview with the filmmaker: 
http://www.cinematical.com/2008/04/30/tribeca-interview-bigger-stronger-faster-director-chris-be/

Got to love this quote:  "Arnold Schwarzenegger is somebody telling us one thing on one TV show, and another thing on another TV show. He says we should crack down on steroids, but then he's at his bodybuilding show, saying, "Look how ripped these guys are, I'm so proud of them," and it's like ten guys on stage, all on steroids. They don't drug test for steroids, but there hasn't been a professional bodybuilder competition in years where every guy hasn't been on steroids. I mean, you might find one or two natural guys, but you'd be hard pressed to find a natural bodybuilder in a pro-show."

Wonder how Arnold will react to this?

Hurricane Beef !

• Getbig V
  • Beat Coach, Wes & Chaos So Bad . . .
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2008, 09:38:32 PM »
Looks like a new documentary on steroids is coming out this summer.  (See review at http://www.ifc.com/film/film-guy-stronger-fas.php and film web site at http://www.biggerstrongerfastermovie.com/)  Could be interesting.

Here is the movie synopsis:

In America, we define ourselves in the superlative: we are the biggest, strongest, fastest country in the world. We reward speed, size and above all else: winning – at sport, at business and at war. Metaphorically we are a nation on steroids. Is it any wonder that so many of our heroes are on performance enhancing drugs?

From the producers of Bowling For Columbine and Fahrenheit 9/11 comes a new film that unflinchingly explores our win-at-all-cost culture through the lens of a personal journey. Blending comedy and pathos, BIGGER, STRONGER, FASTER* is a collision of pop culture, animated sequences and first-person narrative, with a diverse cast including US Congressmen, professional athletes, medical experts and everyday gym rats.

At its heart, this is the story of director Christopher Bell and his two brothers, who grew up idolizing muscular giants like Hulk Hogan, Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger, and who went on to become members of the steroid-subculture in an effort to realize their American dream. When you discover that your heroes have all broken the rules, do you follow the rules, or do you follow your heroes?

[/qu

John, how much did they pay you for this movie?

The Beef

willie mosconi

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2008, 05:31:58 PM »
I saw it a few days ago and found it to be very well done. Very informative, relatively unbiased, and funny at times. One problem I had with it is that Bell didn't mention that Valentino's arms are humongous due to synthol, not steroids. Actually, I think Bell should have left out Valentino altogether. The guy is such a douche.

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2008, 07:21:48 PM »
I saw it a few days ago and found it to be very well done. Very informative, relatively unbiased, and funny at times. One problem I had with it is that Bell didn't mention that Valentino's arms are humongous due to synthol, not steroids. Actually, I think Bell should have left out Valentino altogether. The guy is such a douche.

I agree about the lack of mention regarding synthol but I do think Valentino needed to be in the movie. He said some pointed stuff (about Arnold Schwarzenegger in particular) that were spot on and helped drive the movie in the direction of confronting Arnold about his contradictions.

Red Hook

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2008, 07:31:06 PM »
Can I download this from a torrent site some where?
I

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2008, 07:55:08 PM »

It is in theaters now (or will be soon).  Man up and pay to see it.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2008, 07:56:00 PM »
i tried, but there all fakes!..