Author Topic: Obese Inmate Sues Jail Because He's Lost 100 Pounds  (Read 1319 times)

SirTraps

• Getbig IV
Obese Inmate Sues Jail Because He's Lost 100 Pounds
« on: April 28, 2008, 06:40:05 PM »

BENTONVILLE, Ark. — An inmate awaiting trial on a murder charge is suing the county, complaining he has lost more than 100 pounds because of the jailhouse menu.

Broderick Lloyd Laswell says he isn't happy that he's down to 308 pounds after eight months in the Benton County jail. He has filed a federal lawsuit complaining the jail doesn't provide inmates with enough food.

According to the suit, Laswell weighed 413 pounds when he was jailed in September. Police say he and a co-defendant fatally beat and stabbed a man, then set his home on fire.

"On several occasions I have started to do some exercising and my vision went blurry and I felt like I was going to pass out," Laswell wrote in his complaint. "About an hour after each meal my stomach starts to hurt and growl. I feel hungry again."

But Laswell then goes on to complain that he undertakes little vigorous activity.

"If we are in a small pod all day (and) do next to nothing for physical exercise, we should not lose weight," the suit says. "The only reason we lost weight in here is because we are literally being starved to death."

The suit also asks that the county be ordered to serve hot meals. The jail has served only cold food for years.

The meals, provided through Aramark Correctional Institution Services, average 3,000 calories a day, jail Capt. Hunter Petray told The Morning News of northwest Arkansas for a story Saturday.

A typical Western diet consists of 2,000 to 3,000 calories a day.

Laswell's suit was filed without a lawyer in U.S. District Court in Fayetteville.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/04/28/obese-inmate-s...

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
Re: Obese Inmate Sues Jail Because He's Lost 100 Pounds
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 07:21:40 PM »
U.S.A.!!!! Thanks to BUSH!!!

Red Hook

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 07:25:23 PM »

BENTONVILLE, Ark. — An inmate awaiting trial on a murder charge is suing the county, complaining he has lost more than 100 pounds because of the jailhouse menu.

Broderick Lloyd Laswell says he isn't happy that he's down to 308 pounds after eight months in the Benton County jail. He has filed a federal lawsuit complaining the jail doesn't provide inmates with enough food.

According to the suit, Laswell weighed 413 pounds when he was jailed in September. Police say he and a co-defendant fatally beat and stabbed a man, then set his home on fire.

"On several occasions I have started to do some exercising and my vision went blurry and I felt like I was going to pass out," Laswell wrote in his complaint. "About an hour after each meal my stomach starts to hurt and growl. I feel hungry again."

But Laswell then goes on to complain that he undertakes little vigorous activity.

"If we are in a small pod all day (and) do next to nothing for physical exercise, we should not lose weight," the suit says. "The only reason we lost weight in here is because we are literally being starved to death."

The suit also asks that the county be ordered to serve hot meals. The jail has served only cold food for years.

The meals, provided through Aramark Correctional Institution Services, average 3,000 calories a day, jail Capt. Hunter Petray told The Morning News of northwest Arkansas for a story Saturday.

A typical Western diet consists of 2,000 to 3,000 calories a day.

Laswell's suit was filed without a lawyer in U.S. District Court in Fayetteville.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/04/28/obese-inmate-s...

Fat peoples' lack of will power sickens me  :-\
I

Moosejay

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 07:29:38 PM »
We will, eventually, see a 'fat tax'.

If you think tobacco wars have been bad...wait until you see the assault on the fast food industryt.

Exactly why you see so many commercials for 'healthy' choices at McDonalds and other similar stores.

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 07:44:38 PM »
do you think titus will be able to sue for the loss of mass muscle and forgone income when he gets out? ??? ??? ???

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 11:53:55 PM »
Amazing.... too bad the courts allow these type of lawsuits...

Here are some others...

Inmates are notorious for filing frivolous lawsuits. In 1999, the Office of the Texas Attorney General received 655 lawsuits filed by inmates. The National Association of Attorneys General has created a list of the top ten prisoner frivolous lawsuits. Some of these lawsuits, along with Texas examples, include:

Inmates, with the help of State Representative Zeb Zbranek as co-counsel, blaming the State of Texas for having allegedly breathed toxic fumes when being evacuated from their prison because of a pipeline leak.

Two Texas inmates complaining in six lawsuits each about such issues as the prison mail service, the quality of the meal service, denial of dessert while on administrative segregation, and alleged medical injuries caused by being forced to carry his own property.

An inmate filing a $5 million lawsuit against himself, claiming that he had violated his own civil rights by getting arrested, then asked the state to pay the $5 million since he is a “ward of the state.”

A Mississippi prisoner suing for not receiving his scheduled parole hearing, even though he had escaped and was out when the hearing was held.

A Connecticut prisoner suing the state for $20,000 for pain and suffering because he cut his hand on barbed wire while trying to escape from jail.

A Florida prisoner suing in an effort to force prison officials to outfit him in Addidas, Reeboks, Ponys or Avia high tops rather than the sneakers issued by the prison.

All of these frivolous lawsuits cost time and resources. Instead of hearing cases of those who have real grievances, courts are forced to deal with frivolous lawsuits like the ones above. The Attorney General of New York has said, “Sadly, it’s inmates who get the last laugh [because these lawsuits] are an effective way of harassing prison staff and the legal system that put them behind bars in the first place.”

According to the Office of the Texas Attorney General, the average cost of one lawsuit can be $5,164. That adds up to around $3.4 million it could cost the state, based on only the 655 cases filed in 1999. That could go a long way toward improving the pay for prison guards. Instead, the state is forced to spend money on defending frivolous lawsuits filed by prisoners

From

http://www.freedomworks.org/newsroom/press_template.php?press_id=284

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 11:55:00 PM »
Amazing.... too bad the courts allow these type of lawsuits...

Here are some others...

Inmates are notorious for filing frivolous lawsuits. In 1999, the Office of the Texas Attorney General received 655 lawsuits filed by inmates. The National Association of Attorneys General has created a list of the top ten prisoner frivolous lawsuits. Some of these lawsuits, along with Texas examples, include:

Inmates, with the help of State Representative Zeb Zbranek as co-counsel, blaming the State of Texas for having allegedly breathed toxic fumes when being evacuated from their prison because of a pipeline leak.

Two Texas inmates complaining in six lawsuits each about such issues as the prison mail service, the quality of the meal service, denial of dessert while on administrative segregation, and alleged medical injuries caused by being forced to carry his own property.

An inmate filing a $5 million lawsuit against himself, claiming that he had violated his own civil rights by getting arrested, then asked the state to pay the $5 million since he is a “ward of the state.”

A Mississippi prisoner suing for not receiving his scheduled parole hearing, even though he had escaped and was out when the hearing was held.

A Connecticut prisoner suing the state for $20,000 for pain and suffering because he cut his hand on barbed wire while trying to escape from jail.

A Florida prisoner suing in an effort to force prison officials to outfit him in Addidas, Reeboks, Ponys or Avia high tops rather than the sneakers issued by the prison.

All of these frivolous lawsuits cost time and resources. Instead of hearing cases of those who have real grievances, courts are forced to deal with frivolous lawsuits like the ones above. The Attorney General of New York has said, “Sadly, it’s inmates who get the last laugh [because these lawsuits] are an effective way of harassing prison staff and the legal system that put them behind bars in the first place.”

According to the Office of the Texas Attorney General, the average cost of one lawsuit can be $5,164. That adds up to around $3.4 million it could cost the state, based on only the 655 cases filed in 1999. That could go a long way toward improving the pay for prison guards. Instead, the state is forced to spend money on defending frivolous lawsuits filed by prisoners

From

http://www.freedomworks.org/newsroom/press_template.php?press_id=284

Unreal.......
HAHA, RON.....