Author Topic: NC Gov. Mike Easley Endorses Hillary Clinton  (Read 530 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
NC Gov. Mike Easley Endorses Hillary Clinton
« on: April 28, 2008, 09:21:48 PM »
She got one.   :)

NC Gov. Mike Easley Endorses Hillary Clinton 

Monday, April 28, 2008 8:29 PM

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Hillary Rodham Clinton has won the endorsement of North Carolina Gov. Mike Easley, a surprise boost to her candidacy in a state where Barack Obama is heavily favored to win the Democratic primary.

Easley was expected to announce his endorsement formally on Tuesday morning in Raleigh, the state capital, one week before North Carolina's primary on May 6. Clinton campaign chairman Terry McAuliffe told supporters about the endorsement Monday at a fundraiser in Charlotte.

With its liberal white enclaves and large population of black voters, North Carolina has been viewed as exceptionally favorable to Obama. Public polling in the state has him leading the former first lady by 10 points or more.

But Clinton has contested the state in hopes of an upset. Short of that, her campaign aims to peel off enough pledged delegates to stay competitive with Obama.

The former first lady spent Monday campaigning across North Carolina and has run a heavy television advertising campaign in the state. She was headed Tuesday to Indiana, whose May 6 primary is viewed as much more competitive.

Clinton has benefited from the support of other governors in key primary states, including Ohio's Ted Strickland and Pennsylvania's Ed Rendell. Political observers say Easley, while relatively popular, does not sit atop a massive political operation in North Carolina.

Easley is scheduled to leave office next year after serving two terms as governor. Both Democratic candidates vying for the nomination to replace him have endorsed Obama.

Besides being a respected figure among Democrats in the state, Easley is one of the all-important superdelegates likely to choose the party's presidential nominee.

He would be the second superdelegate from the state to endorse Clinton. Six of its 17 superdelegates have endorsed Obama.

Easley had backed former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards for president before he ended his bid in January. Edwards has not yet endorsed a candidate and is not expected to do so before next week's primary.

Earlier this month, Easley wrote a note to Obama imploring the Illinois senator to take part in a debate sponsored by the North Carolina Democratic Party and televised by CBS News. But the Clinton and Obama camps were unable to agree to a date, and the state party eventually scrapped its plans.

In recent weeks, Clinton's once-sizable lead among superdelegates has dwindled as Obama has picked up the backing of several who were previously uncommitted. Obama's campaign announced Monday that New Mexico Sen. Jeff Bingaman, another superdelegate, was supporting the Illinois senator.

http://www.newsmax.com/politics/clinton_easley/2008/04/28/91738.html

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
Re: NC Gov. Mike Easley Endorses Hillary Clinton
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 02:09:13 AM »
By virtue of the smiley face I assume you are voting for Billary?
!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 08:48:45 AM »
By virtue of the smiley face I assume you are voting for Billary?

I will vote for Hillary if it snows in Honolulu before November.   :)

I wasn't being serious.  Just seems like Obama got about the last 20 endorsements. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 08:49:31 AM »
I will vote for Hillary if it snows in Honolulu before November.   :)

wait til you see where your tourism market is by November.