Author Topic: Obama asks the eternal question...  (Read 804 times)

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
  • I'm too sexy for my shirt!!!
Obama asks the eternal question...
« on: April 29, 2008, 07:03:40 AM »
"Who will rid me of this tiresome priest?"

~ King Henry II, on the Archbishop of Canterbury, Thomas Beckett, 1170

~ Barack Obama, on "Reverend" Jeremiah Wright, 2008

In 1170, four knights freshly-returned from the Crusades went to Canterbury and slew the Archbishop.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
Re: Obama asks the eternal question...
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 07:06:51 AM »
LOL
!

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 07:09:12 AM »
The account of Beckett's murder from Wiki:

After these latest venomous reports of Becket's activities, Henry is reported to have raised his head from his sickbed and roared a lament of frustration. What the King's exact words were are in doubt, and several versions have been reported:

* "Who will rid me of this troublesome priest?"
    * "Who will rid me of this turbulent priest?"
    * "Will no one rid me of this turbulent priest?"
    * "Will no one revenge me of the injuries I have sustained from one turbulent priest?"
    * "Will none of the knaves eating my bread rid me of this turbulent priest?"
    * "What a band of loathsome vipers I have nursed in my bosom who will let their lord be insulted by this low-born cleric!"
    * "What miserable drones and traitors have I nourished and brought up in my household, who let their Lord be treated with such shameful contempt by a low-born cleric?" [3]

Whatever the King said, it was interpreted as a royal command, and four knights —

* Reginald Fitzurse
    * Hugh de Moreville
    * William de Tracy
    * Richard Brito

— set out to consult the Archbishop of Canterbury. On December 29, 1170, they arrived at Canterbury and immediately left their armor and weapons under a tree, this shows they had no intention to kill Becket. The knights informed Becket he was to go to Winchester to give an account of his actions, to which Becket refused. Becket then proceeded to the main hall for vespers, when the four knights, carrying naked swords, caught up with him in a spot near a door to the monastic cloister, the stairs into the crypt, and the stairs leading up into the quire of the cathedral, where the monks were chanting vespers. Several contemporary accounts of what happened next exist; of particular note is that of Edward Grim, who was himself wounded in the attack.
The burial of Becket
The burial of Becket

This is part of the written account from Edward Grim:

...The wicked knight leapt suddenly upon him, cutting off the top of the crown which the unction of sacred chrism had dedicated to God. Next he received a second blow on the head, but still he stood firm and immovable. At the third blow he fell on his knees and elbows, offering himself a living sacrifice, and saying in a low voice, 'For the name of Jesus and the protection of the Church, I am ready to embrace death.' But the third knight inflicted a terrible wound as he lay prostrate. By this stroke, the crown of his head was separated from the head in such a way that the blood white with the brain, and the brain no less red from the blood, dyed the floor of the cathedral. The same clerk who had entered with the knights placed his foot on the neck of the holy priest and precious martyr, and, horrible to relate, scattered the brains and blood about the pavements, crying to the others, 'Let us away, knights; this fellow will arise no more.'

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 08:38:44 AM »
"Who will rid me of this tiresome priest?"

~ King Henry II, on the Archbishop of Canterbury, Thomas Beckett, 1170

~ Barack Obama, on "Reverend" Jeremiah Wright, 2008

In 1170, four knights freshly-returned from the Crusades went to Canterbury and slew the Archbishop.

lol.   :)

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 04:11:04 AM »
Another troublesome priest ::)

Where'd this wigger Wright-wannabe Catholic priest learn to be so "black"? ::)

Once again, Obama must be asking "Who will rid me of this troublesome priest?"