Author Topic: The USA Cannot Afford "100 years" in Iraq  (Read 890 times)

Decker

• Getbig V
The USA Cannot Afford "100 years" in Iraq
« on: April 29, 2008, 09:46:20 AM »
Over 9 Billion US dollars still missing in Iraq.

Audit: U.S. lost track of $9 billion in Iraq funds
http://edition.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/01/30/iraq.audit/

That happened in 2005.

Here's what's happening in 2008:  "Millions of dollars of lucrative Iraq reconstruction contracts were never finished because of excessive delays, poor performance or other factors, including failed projects that are being falsely described by the U.S. government as complete, federal investigators say."
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080427/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/iraq_reconstruction;_ylt=Aln5gqSSesKJL5l3tJ2xAKis0NUE

And here's what the US Taxpayer has to look forward to: $3 trillion may be too low (an)...estimate of the cost of the Iraq war...
 http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/joseph_stiglitz_and_linda_bilmes/2008/04/3_trillion_may_be_too_low.html

Trillions lost in Iraq.  A very weak dollar that's in free fall.  Gas at about $4 per gallon (and that's with billions in taxpayer subsidies).

Whether installing a democracy there or creating corporate access to oil, I just do not see the pay-off for the american people.

I wonder what 3 trillion dollars invested in a national program for alternative energy would do?

We could think of it like we did the space program back in the '60s.

War-Horse

• Getbig V
Re: The USA Cannot Afford "100 years" in Iraq
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 09:55:27 AM »
wow.  3 trillion could have created alot of jobs and infrastructure here.  Too bad our kids are the ones stuck with the bill.       Why did anyone at all vote for bush??   Destroyed america in 2 terms.....

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 10:33:16 AM »
9 trillion in the hole and growing.

Time for Iraq to dig into that 40 billion dollar surplus and start paying for their own damn independence.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 10:39:19 AM »
The accounting is so bad in Iraq that only millions and billions register.

Think of the irony: we attack Iraq, we install a puppet gov., we commandeer their resources, and then we ask them to pay for those honors.

I cannot fathom why someone would have voted for Bush in 2004.  I'll take any democratic candidate over an incumbent snake any day of the week.

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 10:43:21 AM »
The accounting is so bad in Iraq that only millions and billions register.

Think of the irony: we attack Iraq, we install a puppet gov., we commandeer their resources, and then we ask them to pay for those honors.

I cannot fathom why someone would have voted for Bush in 2004.  I'll take any democratic candidate over an incumbent snake any day of the week.

I voted for Bush in 2004 because Kerry didn't exactly win me over.

My regret is that they were the only two options.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 11:49:43 AM »

For me, it wasn't that he lied about the economic effect of his tax cuts or that he is a clumsy speaker.  For legal reasons (and moral), I was opposed to the Iraq invasion from the start.  Having to watch it unfold has been infuriating.  Watching Bush look for hidden WMDs under Oval Office furniture was particularly infuriating.

I couldn't vote for someone that did what he did to the Iraqi people and the US taxpayer.  He could have been a decent president.  Instead working with the democrats, he averred that the democrats were terrorist-enablers.  He is the single most divisive president in modern history.

Sure I wish Feingold would have run in 2004.  Our primary season gives us only two to choose from.  Unfortunately, it's never the one that we need as president.

JBGRAY

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 09:56:33 PM »
His recent speech on the current state of the economy was over the top.  Bush has a mental disorder, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. 

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 02:50:44 AM »
His recent speech on the current state of the economy was over the top.  Bush has a mental disorder, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. 

I heard about the "magic wand" remark.

Larry the President Guy.  :P

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 02:58:23 AM »

no worry, Kerry would have tossed it no matter what as was commanded of him.  You had no choice but that fucking retard Bush.