Author Topic: dieting down while being a powerlifter?  (Read 4267 times)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
dieting down while being a powerlifter?
« on: April 29, 2008, 11:26:26 AM »
how are you guys able to cut weight for a smaller class and still recover enough for the heavy duty workouts..i'm two days into this diet and have never felt a workout like i have today after yesterday's ME work. I'm going no carbs on off days and carbs only up to my workout and just after on my lifting days..

are my numbers going to suffer? what's the deal here guys.. what's a good way to cut down and keep most of my strenght and muscle mass? short no carb days like i'm doing?

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
Re: dieting down while being a powerlifter?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 12:00:26 PM »
HAHAHA  Welcome to my world....Stop being such a pussy!!!!!!!!!   ;D

:)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 12:03:54 PM »
HAHAHA  Welcome to my world....Stop being such a pussy!!!!!!!!!   ;D

i'm fat... i dont do this.. fat free shit  >:(

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 12:07:05 PM »
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AA!!!!  WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAA!!!!   :'(

I'm just teasing.  Dieting SUCKS. 

I don't do no-carb diets EVER.  But I do cardio.  Recovery is a huge issue.  Since I have started dieting and doing cardio every day, my legs pretty much hurt all the time.  I'm just waiting to get more used to it. 

You taking any recovery supps?  Glutamine? 

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 12:24:46 PM »
the usual

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 12:44:13 PM »
the usual

The usual? 

Is your diet affecting your ability to type?    ;D

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 12:54:34 PM »
fucck dieting dude, why are you trying to drop weight? i can understand not wanting to eat two large Pizza Hut deep dishes but there's no reason to drop your healthy carbs like potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, etc., you need that shit for energy, just do some cardio and avoid junk and you'll be fine.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 12:57:46 PM »
how are you guys able to cut weight for a smaller class and still recover enough for the heavy duty workouts..i'm two days into this diet and have never felt a workout like i have today after yesterday's ME work. I'm going no carbs on off days and carbs only up to my workout and just after on my lifting days..

are my numbers going to suffer? what's the deal here guys.. what's a good way to cut down and keep most of my strenght and muscle mass? short no carb days like i'm doing?

The deal is that there is no secret.

Caloric deficit is the only way to lose weight.

Cutting out the carbs will fcuk you up.

Remember that carbs are the best choice for fuel.

But you need to eat proper carbs. Where all the fat boys err, is when they eat donuts, drink soda and junk food.

If you eat healthy carbs, you will be in good shape.

Here's my advice:

1. Just get a good grasp of your daily caloric need.

2. Then keep your intake at 300-1000 calories below (let it vary).

3. Keep a Carbs-Fats-Protein balance of cerca 50-30-20 (Could be a little lower on the protein, some say 10-15% is enough)

4. The days of a hard workout, eat a bigger breakfast. But it's pointless to eat bigger the last few hours prior to the workout IMO.
As empty as paradise

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 01:01:08 PM »
the shit you need to avoid is the typical "Superheavyweight powerlifter diet" which entails eating EVERYTHING IN SIGHT, i had a friend who benched in the 700's and when he was at his biggest and strongest the guy would down a large pizza on his way home from the gym in his truck AND THEN EAT A FULL DINNER AT HOME, that type of shit you need to avoid but dropping carbs is just plain crazy.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 01:11:36 PM »
the shit you need to avoid is the typical "Superheavyweight powerlifter diet" which entails eating EVERYTHING IN SIGHT, i had a friend who benched in the 700's and when he was at his biggest and strongest the guy would down a large pizza on his way home from the gym in his truck AND THEN EAT A FULL DINNER AT HOME, that type of shit you need to avoid but dropping carbs is just plain crazy.

Thats intense dedication to your sport! :D

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 01:23:12 PM »

Do we know the same guy? :o
As empty as paradise

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 01:26:41 PM »
Do we know the same guy? :o
hahaha, don't know, this guy was around 5'10" 325-330 did a couple of Ernie Frantz's meets near Chicago, strongest natural presser i've ever seen.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 01:27:26 PM »
Thats intense dedication to your sport! :D
hahahhaa, the man was serious about his food and beer. ;D

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 01:42:01 PM »
yeah what i'm doing is trying to make 242's since i can't seem to stay high enough in teh 275's to do any sort of damage adn KEEP my weight..but i know i will be just as strong at the 242's..

mike wolfe had a good suggestion of just eating CLEANER and only eating carbs up to post workout..then no carbs after that.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2008, 02:05:18 PM »
How much weight you trying to drop?

Hedge gave very sound advice.

Cutting carbs out will kill your strength and make you feel like crap in the gym.

Carbs are not the killer, it's the total calories...you NEED carbs if you want to be a power lifter.

in the past i just did 45 minutes of cardio on non-lifting days and slowly dropped my calories down from around 4000 to 2500, but i did it "slowly".

i've dropped 8 pounds in one day but that is a last resort and it was all water... ;)

8)

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2008, 06:39:01 PM »
Tren will lean you out quite a bit...with equipoise  ;)  But youve got to remember, Im almost a super!

Jason

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2008, 07:16:37 AM »
Tren will lean you out quite a bit...with equipoise  ;)  But youve got to remember, Im almost a super!

Jason

I'm not sure if this was a joke but...

1. Tren won't do shit if you don't eat right, but it will make you strong in a caloric deficit, so it is a good cutting drug so to speak.

2. Eq makes your appetite skyrocket, not so good for cutting weight.

3. You and wicked are drug free so this isn't an issue... ;)

8)

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2008, 07:13:52 PM »

mike wolfe had a good suggestion of just eating CLEANER and only eating carbs up to post workout..then no carbs after that.
Listen to this guy. ;)

Power lifter at the gym said the same thing, eat more dead animal!!!
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2008, 10:07:37 AM »
I got qualified from the regional championship to the national. I competed at 98.300kgs. On the 25th this month I will have the national and my bodyweight right now is 103kg. I will have a hard time losing some weight but I am not definetly cutting off carbs. I will eat smaller meals throughout the day and increse a little my protein intake, lowering only a little bit my carbs. I will cut all junk like chocolate, pizza, beer etc and increse my cardio up to 3 times a week. I hope it doesn't mess with my strength...
S

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2008, 10:26:07 AM »
Results in the morning + heavy workouts + cutting carbs while keeping protein and fat up = weight loss with minimal strength loss.

i'm on the way down again, and the formula's working still.

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2008, 04:16:51 PM »
I broke down and hired a nutritionist!  Going to break some faces at 275s hopefully!

Jason

cauthon

• Getbig II
  • Craig Killed for you Bitches
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2008, 04:34:28 PM »
I got qualified from the regional championship to the national. I competed at 98.300kgs. On the 25th this month I will have the national and my bodyweight right now is 103kg. I will have a hard time losing some weight but I am not definetly cutting off carbs. I will eat smaller meals throughout the day and increse a little my protein intake, lowering only a little bit my carbs. I will cut all junk like chocolate, pizza, beer etc and increse my cardio up to 3 times a week. I hope it doesn't mess with my strength...

If you are 103 then you can do a last min cut to the 100 without much difficulty. Cut out salt a week out, 4 days out drink 6L of water, 3 days out drink 7, 2 days out drink 8, drink 4 the morning before and stop drinking 16 hours out. Sit a a sauna and spit in a cup (chewing sour gum helps a lot). Go to bed a half kg overweight and you will have no problems. I have cut from being 93+ a week out to the 90 a few times. And if you cut junk food and beer out now you probably will only have to cut 1.5-2 kg by then.