Author Topic: Obama 'outraged' by Wright's remarks  (Read 2775 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Obama 'outraged' by Wright's remarks
« on: April 29, 2008, 12:02:54 PM »
lol.  It won't go away.  Front page of CNN:

Obama 'outraged' by Wright's remarks

(CNN) -- Sen. Barack Obama said he is "outraged" by comments his former minister, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, made Monday at the National Press Club and "saddened by the spectacle."

"I have been a member of Trinity Church since 1992. I have known Rev. Wright for almost 20 years," he said at a news conference in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. "The person I saw yesterday is not the person I met 20 years ago."

Obama said he is outraged by Wright's remarks that seemed to suggest the U.S. government might be responsible for the spread of AIDS in the black community, and his equation of some American wartime efforts with terrorism.

"What particularly angered me was his suggestion somehow that my previous denunciation of his remarks were somehow political posturing," said Obama, who added that Wright had shown "little regard for me" and seemed more concerned with "taking center stage."

Earlier this year, some of Wright's outspoken sermons, circulated and widely discussed on the Internet and on television, became an issue in the Democratic presidential race because of the former pastor's ties to Obama.

In one sermon, Wright said America had brought the September 11, 2001, attacks upon itself. In another, he said Sen. Hillary Clinton had an advantage over Obama because she is white.

Obama gave a speech on race relations during the height of the controversy with Wright and said he rejected Wright's racially charged comments but could not repudiate the man himself.

Obama on Monday said Wright's remarks were "antithetical to our campaign, it was antithetical to what we're about."

"I cannot prevent him from making these remarks," but "when I say I find these comments appalling I mean it. It contradicts what I'm about and who I am ... It is completely opposed to what I stand for and where I want to take this country."

In a break with previous comments, Obama focused his criticism on Wright the man, and not simply his remarks.

Obama said he gave Wright "the benefit of the doubt" before his speech on race relations.

"What we saw yesterday from Rev. Wright was a resurfacing and, I believe, an exploitation of these old divisions," Obama said.

He said he had not spoken with Wright since the minister's Monday speech, though he would not rule out a conversation with him in the future.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/04/29/obama.wright/index.html

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
Re: Obama 'outraged' by Wright's remarks
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 12:18:49 PM »
Thank God.  I respect Obama for these comments and I'm glad he spoke up cause Wright's old anger is not good for the country, race relations, or black people in general...but I still find it hard to believe he didn't know this was Rev Wright after 20 yrs....I don't see Wright as someone who has changed spots.  One positive comment about Wright is that he doesn't seem to be a flip flopper.
I listened to a lot of the talk from yesterday's speech and within minutes I found Wright to be an angry black liberation theologist, focused on past wrongs who has a style of delivery that is at least unsettling.
Perhaps Obama didn't have much of a choice to denounce Wright because of his political campaign...but Wright doesn't seem to have Obama's best interest at heart either because these kind of far left wing comments ring poorly with more conservative democrats and moderates.
How pompus to say he speaks for all black churches...glad to see several black commentators draw back from Wright's comments yesterday.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 12:24:25 PM »
Friendships are often destroyed over the course of a long presidential campaign. I think this one has crashed and burned. LOL
!

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 12:55:19 PM »
Friendships are often destroyed over the course of a long presidential campaign. I think this one has crashed and burned. LOL

Let me guess, now that Obama is finally "appalled", you are too?

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 01:16:25 PM »

HAHAHAHAHA. No doubt Benny will be singing a different tune now while trying to deny ever making the comment he has over the past few days. That's what pussies do.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 02:16:59 PM »
Still its nice to see Obama acknowledge that this isn't the right focus for bringing our country together.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 03:23:06 PM »
yeah 22 + year friendships crash and burn over a issue that he has no idea was going on in the church  ::) keep living an illusory lifestlye of pondering thoughts

Still its nice to see Obama acknowledge that this isn't the right focus for bringing our country together.

I guess by bringing the country together you mean appearing on FOX News and appeasing the right by answering questions like a simpleton, when he was supposed to outline what he plans to change, but instead played Q & A, like a soft liberal being whipped around. Yea I can see the focus is coming aclear

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 04:00:43 PM »
Gotta respect Obama for coming out so strongly against this idiot.  I saw the Rev. Wright clip in question and it was clearly a performance piece designed to elicit attention much like any time Al Sharpton appears in public.  This was a much better reaction than McCain's reaction to Hagee's proclamation that Katrina was gods punishment on sinners.  McCain didn't reject him at all. 
A

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 04:56:08 PM »
It's about fvcking time.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 04:59:23 PM »
HAHAHAHAHA. No doubt Benny will be singing a different tune now while trying to deny ever making the comment he has over the past few days. That's what pussies do.

haha, I can't wait to hear how he'll answer this one.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 05:02:08 PM »

Not even one scintilla.  You obviously don't know me. ;)

!

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 05:02:58 PM »
Why would I need to "sing a different tune", horseface?  ::)
!

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 05:05:00 PM »
haha, I can't wait to hear how he'll answer this one.
What question do I need to answer?  ???
!

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 05:06:51 PM »

I guess by bringing the country together you mean appearing on FOX News and appeasing the right by answering questions like a simpleton, when he was supposed to outline what he plans to change, but instead played Q & A, like a soft liberal being whipped around. Yea I can see the focus is coming aclear

I've been saying this for months, he's just another duplicitous politician, surprise, surprise.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2008, 05:11:05 PM »
I've been saying this for months, he's just another duplicitous politician, surprise, surprise.
Show respect for your next president.

It sounds like jealousy because the quack you supported received...

14 delegates  :D
!

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2008, 05:24:05 PM »
Show respect for your next president.

It sounds like jealousy because the quack you supported received...

14 delegates  :D

14 delegates and a whole lot of integrity, something your man lacks. He's like a leaf in the wind.

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
  • TAKE YO FUCKING JACKET WIT YA
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2008, 05:47:16 PM »
I'm not saying this is so but I think we all might want to consider..

Obama knows this guy has hurt his chances.  The only logical thing has been to distance himself from day 1.  If he tried to down play the Wright issue, distance himself on good terms, or outright lie to the country about his relationship with the man this wouldn't work.  In other words he knows he won't have a shot in hell at winning as long as this guy is close and the only BELIEVABLE way to distance himself from the man is a very heated and public feud. 

I can't tell if this is BS or not but I don't put it past him to pull some antics from a professional wrestling playbook in order to get one step closer to the presidency. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2008, 05:53:39 PM »

Obama knows this guy has hurt his chances.  The only logical thing has been to distance himself from day 1.  If he tried to down play the Wright issue, distance himself on good terms, or outright lie to the country about his relationship with the man this wouldn't work.  In other words he knows he won't have a shot in hell at winning as long as this guy is close and the only BELIEVABLE way to distance himself from the man is a very heated and public feud. 

I can't tell if this is BS or not but I don't put it past him to pull some antics from a professional wrestling playbook in order to get one step closer to the presidency. 

Are you saying  you think this might all be deliberate?

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2008, 06:10:42 PM »

Obama is being played like a pan flute by the Clintons.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2008, 06:19:53 PM »
14 delegates and a whole lot of integrity, something your man lacks. He's like a leaf in the wind.
Obama has plenty of integrity. You just refuse to see it.
If Obama is a "leaf in the wind", your hero is a grain of sand on the beach.
!

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2008, 06:24:59 PM »

You harbor racist views and have no intention of voting for Obama anyway, so your opinion on a black presidential candidate is about as relevant as the opinion of a member of the John Birch Society.  ::)
!

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2008, 07:48:47 PM »
Are you saying  you think this might all be deliberate?

I think it's very possible.  What do you think?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2008, 07:50:31 PM »
I think it's very possible.  What do you think?

you're entertaining some highly speculative theories without a shred of evidence, that no mainstream media outlet will touch.

Isn't it funny that the 911 truth movement has thousands of scientists, engineers, pilots, and military people who support it, a boatload of physical evidence, and you refuse to look at it.

Some would say you let your party loyalty dictate your moral compass ;)

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2008, 07:51:50 PM »
You harbor racist views and have no intention of voting for Obama anyway, so your opinion on a black presidential candidate is about as relevant as the opinion of a member of the John Birch Society.  ::)

I wonder what bothers you more, my views about race in modern America, my assesment of the current political candidates, or that I'm 100% dead on about both.

;D

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2008, 07:53:36 PM »
you're entertaining some highly speculative theories without a shred of evidence, that no mainstream media outlet will touch.

Isn't it funny that the 911 truth movement has thousands of scientists, engineers, pilots, and military people who support it, a boatload of physical evidence, and you refuse to look at it.

Some would say you let your party loyalty dictate your moral compass ;)

Funny how no mainstream media will touch that one either.

It was just an idea.  I'm not supporting either side so calm down.